PDA

View Full Version : Backcounty Trip in HD

Chuckwalla
10-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Two friends and I took a 4 day trip last week. Lab, did an awesome job on the video. Enjoy!!

http://vimeo.com/1911982

mtnman2888
10-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Very nice, you will get lots of props on that. Very high quality and it's obvious you spent a lot of time on it. Thanks for showing.

ChemEAngler
10-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Excellent quality, and some very creative shots along with the fishing/camping footage. What were you using to capture such high quality videos?

Travis

Chuckwalla
10-13-2008, 09:16 PM
I can't take any credit for the video stuff, that was all Lab. I think he was using a Canon HF100.

Labrador
10-14-2008, 10:39 AM
I did shoot this on a Canon HF100. I edited on Sony Vegas Pro with the Magic Bullet Looks Plug in. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Here's everything I made from this trip.

The preview
http://vimeo.com/1898043 (http://vimeo.com/1898043)

The full version
http://vimeo.com/1911982 (http://vimeo.com/1911982)

A few outtakes…
http://vimeo.com/1963828 (http://vimeo.com/1963828)

Mac
10-14-2008, 11:50 AM
I really enjoyed your video. Makes you want to be there.

Thanks

PeteCz
10-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Great job!! Great shots!!

Ky Tim
10-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Let me echo what others have said, that was very well done. I have seen documentaries by pros that were not any better than that. Kudos.

Tailwater Ben
10-14-2008, 06:58 PM
I agree, very nice work. That must have been a great trip!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

bugg
10-15-2008, 11:27 AM
i can't get it to work very well on my comp., any suggestions? it is kinda jumpy and not very smooth...

Labrador
10-15-2008, 12:04 PM
yeah, you must be working on a computer that is a few years old. You probably won't be able to watch it in HD. There is a button on teh screen on the video if you put your cusor over it, and it says HD is on. Click it and it will turn HD off, and you should be able to view without and jumpiness, but you won't get the HD. It's still pretty good in SD.

RainbowWarrior1
10-15-2008, 04:31 PM
great footage, couldn't watch it all because my internet is so slow. makes me want to get out there right now

if you don't mind me asking, where were you guys for most of it?

fly fisherman DK
10-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Nice video!

Labrador
10-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Where were we?
In the Smokies:smile: .

PeteCz
10-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Where were we?
In the Smokies:smile: .

There are no secret spots in the Smokies...

If I had to guess it was on the NC side and looked a bit like Deep Creek or Hazel. The footlog would be a giveaway for those folks that have been to the stream you were on, so if you truly wanted to disguise where you were, you probably should have left that shot out. The water level was fairly nice, so if it was Deep Creek, you must have shot/fished it just after the recent rains.

I think RW was asking for which stream(s) you fished, not the exact location you caught each fish...but thats just my observation...

And just to reiterate...its a great video!

MickinMS
10-16-2008, 05:42 PM
That is a fantastic video! I was talking to a buddy today about making a trip like that. I sent him the link and now he is on board. Great job.

Labrador
10-16-2008, 05:51 PM
I never said there was a secret stream in the smokies. I wasn't trying to disguise it either. I am sure anybody who's been there could recognize it. It's not my style to blab about streams on the net unless it's stocked, and even then I don't really like to say (rarely do). If you know where it is... great, if you don't... there's no good that could come from highlighting it for the whole world from my perspective. Face to Face I'd tell most anybody, but I just don't like the idea of posting it on the net. It's just my own personal belief and I know that not everyone will agree, but isn't anything in life that way. Anyway sorry I didn't want to name it, and I know it's not a secret, but I just can't do it. Hope I didn't offend anybody, and while some won't understand, I am sure many do.

Take care and thanks to everyone for the kind words on the video. I enjoyed making it and fishing with good friends.

Labrador
10-16-2008, 06:18 PM
That is a fantastic video! I was talking to a buddy today about making a trip like that. I sent him the link and now he is on board. Great job.

Yeah, I agree. It makes me ready to go back. Use it as a recruiting tool for your next trip:smile: . It's just hard to get most to commit to a trip over several days with many miles of walking.

PeteCz
10-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Face to Face I'd tell most anybody, but I just don't like the idea of posting it on the net. It's just my own personal belief and I know that not everyone will agree, but isn't anything in life that way. Anyway sorry I didn't want to name it, and I know it's not a secret, but I just can't do it. Hope I didn't offend anybody, and while some won't understand, I am sure many do.

You didn't offend anyone, and please don't take my comments the wrong way. I think sometimes people outside of the area are interested in the general names only because then they could say "that sounds/looks awesome, someday when I get down that way, I'd like to give that a try".

If you'd rather not do that then perhaps you shouldn't taunt them with videos in HD...:biggrin:

Or at least tell them to shoot you an email...

Labrador
10-16-2008, 07:51 PM
People outside the area owe it to themselves to fish the gems in the smokies. But rather than me tell them...They should stop by the great shop that sponsors this forum. I'm know they could tell folks way more than I ever could.:smile:
Plus Paula is one of the nicest ladies you could ever meet.

BlueRaiderFan
10-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Nice video! If you could get more action and pictures of actually catching fish, you could sell it.

Labrador
10-18-2008, 11:12 AM
yeah, at some point it becomes a gray area...
I have to ask myself, am I here to fish, or here to shoot video. I like fishing a lot more, so I do alot more than the video part. Plus since I am backpacking I have to be careful about battery cause once it goes dead the video is over too. No recharging out there. I didn't run out, but I was careful about not shooting constantly, but if I had been we could have had lots and lots of hook ups.

BlueRaiderFan
10-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Is that just a regular cam corder? Is there any way you could convert one of those battery powered cell phone chargers? You could just buy a couple extra batteries. Maybe you could just wait on your firends to catch them and you could flim. It seems like you know how to make high quality video. Anyway, if you went back and got some more film of catching fish and mixed it with this episode, I think you might have enough to market it. I know I would buy it if you spiced it up a bit with some nice views and lots of trout catching. Either way, that's great footage. I wish I knew how to do something like that.

flyguys
10-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Great video!! Makes me want to go back right now. Maybe we can get out in the spring. I know it must take a lot of time, but keep them coming for us guys that can't get over that often!! THANKS!!

Labrador
10-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Is that just a regular cam corder? Is there any way you could convert one of those battery powered cell phone chargers? You could just buy a couple extra batteries. Maybe you could just wait on your firends to catch them and you could flim. It seems like you know how to make high quality video. Anyway, if you went back and got some more film of catching fish and mixed it with this episode, I think you might have enough to market it. I know I would buy it if you spiced it up a bit with some nice views and lots of trout catching. Either way, that's great footage. I wish I knew how to do something like that.

Glad you like it. Maybe someday if somebody paid me, I do it better, by dropping my own fishing rod, and just sticking with the camera, but for now it's just for fun. I am glad you like it, and enjoy it for free. I have a few of the videos I paid for and I think it rivals them considering the amount of time they put in (several months) and the amount of time I put in a few days fishing with a few hours editing.

Glad you liked it, and to answer your question, yes, it's a regular consumer HD video camera. I've just starting thinking about one of those solar chargers, but no way to know if I could convert it to work on my batteries. I carry about 35 lbs. of crap back in there without the camera, so anything extra starts getting annoying. I've used a couple profesional cameras, and the quality difference is negligiable except the camera I was shooting with is very low weight...a good thing when you're carrying it on your back.

Labrador
10-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Great video!! Makes me want to go back right now. Maybe we can get out in the spring. I know it must take a lot of time, but keep them coming for us guys that can't get over that often!! THANKS!!
we will be out there several times in the upcoming spring. If you see us, say hello!

RainbowWarrior1
11-07-2008, 11:11 PM
I never said there was a secret stream in the smokies. I wasn't trying to disguise it either. I am sure anybody who's been there could recognize it. It's not my style to blab about streams on the net unless it's stocked, and even then I don't really like to say (rarely do). If you know where it is... great, if you don't... there's no good that could come from highlighting it for the whole world from my perspective. Face to Face I'd tell most anybody, but I just don't like the idea of posting it on the net. It's just my own personal belief and I know that not everyone will agree, but isn't anything in life that way. Anyway sorry I didn't want to name it, and I know it's not a secret, but I just can't do it. Hope I didn't offend anybody, and while some won't understand, I am sure many do.

Take care and thanks to everyone for the kind words on the video. I enjoyed making it and fishing with good friends.

not a problem lab. i completely understand

Labrador
11-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Are there PM's on this board?

Paula Begley
11-08-2008, 07:39 AM
No, Labrador, sorry. Private Messaging has been disabled.

Paula

ijsouth
11-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Just a test post, to see if everything's working...I guess it is.

heyski
11-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Did you use a tilt shift lens at 00:49 or did you fake it? Very nice look.

EDIT: Saw the whole thing. Didn't look like a tilt-shift lens. Still nice though.

Labrador
11-13-2008, 12:38 PM
yeah, I made adjustments in post. Just the standard lens that came with the camera.

tngreg
12-02-2008, 12:52 AM
Very nice videos!
I'm glad that you were able to post the vids on here.
Happy Holidays! Lab