PDA

View Full Version : Fly floatant question

Ky Tim
10-14-2008, 07:17 AM
Guys, I have a bottle of Scientific Anglers Fly Floatant. It works fine, but can get a little messy. I also bow hunt with traditional archery equipment (longbow, wooden arrows). To keep my feathers dry on my arrows I use Bohning Feather-Dri which is a odorless water repellent powder and it works very well. Has anybody ever used this powder on flies? Are there any disadvantages to using it?

Thanks in advance.

BlueRaiderFan
10-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Never heard of it. The only draw back my be odor, but that is just a guess.

Ky Tim
10-14-2008, 08:17 AM
It is an odorless powder. Well, it says it is on the bottle and I use it while deer hunting and have seen no illeffects. I may try it on a couple and see what happens.

BTW, I will be watching your team play this coming Saturday.

ACinEastTN
10-14-2008, 10:11 AM
I have been using the Frog's Fannie. It has worked great. Seems to float your fly higher on the water than the gels.

BlueRaiderFan
10-14-2008, 12:42 PM
It is an odorless powder. Well, it says it is on the bottle and I use it while deer hunting and have seen no illeffects. I may try it on a couple and see what happens.

BTW, I will be watching your team play this coming Saturday.

You'll probably be watching us lose. We have the youngest O Line in the country and can't run the ball.

jeffnles1
10-14-2008, 01:43 PM
I've been using this stuff to dry the flies.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=17067&cat=1007&page=1

and this stuff as a powder floatant
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=17070&cat=1007&page=1

The stuff seems to work about as good as anything.

I do like the gell floatants better though

I've found this stuff to work about as good as anything
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=17061&cat=1006&page=1

I don't think any of them are perfect though.

Jeff

Gerry Romer
10-14-2008, 02:26 PM
I have been using the Frog's Fannie. It has worked great. Seems to float your fly higher on the water than the gels.

Most effective seems to be a combination of the gel with the Frog's Fannie. At least 24 hours before using them, thoroughly saturate your dry flies with the gel and rub it in really well. Then, just before fishing with them, dust them completely with the powder. They'll ride higher, longer, and can be refreshed with the powder quicker.

Ky Tim
10-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Hey everyone thanks for the help, I am going to give it a try and see what happens. I am going to try the liquid and then coat with the powder before fishing.

BlueRaiderFan: I wouldn't be so sure about the losing thing, last year you guys racked up 555 yards, but we have the former Michigan Defensive Coordinator and that has helped....regardless of what happens, here at Louisville we very well could have the worst head coach in D-1 football...they gave the guy a team coming off an Orange Bowl win and he went 6-6...kind of like someone giving me the keys to a Rolls Royce and I would turn it into my '96 Ranger:smile: !

BlueRaiderFan
10-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Well, I hope you're right. I would love to kick you guys right in the backside.:biggrin: