PDA

View Full Version : Gresham's Instigator

BlueRaiderFan
10-14-2008, 08:15 PM
So, I'm out on the Caney this last weekend and they are tearing up my red strike indicator and I wonder what would happen if I tied an all red fly, so I tied one tonight and I'll try it out this weekend. It's probably very similar to something that already exists, but what the heck...I had trouble with the tail and it's not tied very well, but it'll do for now.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/Caney%20Fork%202007/Picture018.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/Caney%20Fork%202007/Picture019.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/Caney%20Fork%202007/Picture020.jpg

Kytroutbum
10-14-2008, 10:15 PM
I know a guide out of Cody, Wyo. who ties a red bodied turck's tarantula and uses it as an indicator when trout hit his indicators. Charles Meck has tied an "indicator fly". I'll post it if i can find it.

BlueRaiderFan
10-14-2008, 10:20 PM
I figure it was worth a shot :smile:

Kytroutbum
10-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Hey go for it! Other than the hackle appearing to be a size too large, it looks good to me. Look at a lot of the early Smokies flies, they don't exactly look like they came out of LRO's fly bins. Commerical tyers sell the "perfect flies" and fish with their mistakes. Were there any October Caddis hatching, (Large caddis with orangish body)? Trout might have been keying in on the color?

BlueRaiderFan
10-15-2008, 12:36 PM
So the hackle is too thick or too long?

mtnman2888
10-15-2008, 01:09 PM
The hackle is a little too long. I believe the general rule of thumb is that it should be no more than 1.5x the gap distance of the bend in the hook.

BlueRaiderFan
10-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Yeah, those size 20 hooks are hard to find hackle that length for, from what I've seen. I have some rooster hackle in a natural red, but that stuff is dyed and looked more like the color of the floss, so I used it.

BlueRaiderFan
10-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Do any of you guys just trim the hackle down to size? Is it better to add hackle that is already the correct size?

Kytroutbum
10-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Back in the good old days, we used to trim the hackle with a razor blade, by spreading the hackle fibers out before tying them in. Early tyers used to use hackle 2x-21/2x times for spiders and variants and caught fish.

Parachutes are tied with hackles one size larger than the "normal size" for that pattern. You also can use a "lower" grade feather for a parachute. Other than "Wulff type" flies, I'm switching all my new mayflies to parachutes!

My own opinion there is no difference in a natural hackle and trimmed one for fishing "at some sizes", just a pain to cut and tie. Actual flies have stiff blunt legs unlike the tips of hackles.

I usually use a hackle guage when purchasing hackle. Whiting 100's while an excellent buy usually run a size larger. I find that size 16's might actually be a size 14.

A side note. According to A.K. Best, some the "High Priced" hackles are too stiff causing the fly to spin and twist finer tippets, he uses "Tyers Grade" necks.

Randall Sale
Kytroutbum

BlueRaiderFan
10-16-2008, 11:32 AM
KY,

Thanks for the info...There's a lot to this!

PeteCz
10-16-2008, 12:34 PM
I usually use a hackle guage when purchasing hackle. Whiting 100's while an excellent buy usually run a size larger. I find that size 16's might actually be a size 14.

Kytb,

That's strange, I've actually found the opposite. According to my Griffin Hackle Gauge, most of the Whiting 100s that I have purchased are actually a size smaller than they are graded. Most of the 14s I have purchased are actually closer to 16 than 14...it maybe the gauge. Regardless, BRF you should always gauge your hackles as you are tying. Sometimes the long hackle feathers end up being two different sizes as you progress through the feather, so make sure you keep gauging as you tie each fly.

MickinMS
10-16-2008, 02:16 PM
I would think that if the trout is dumb.... er....hungry enough to hit the indicator, it is not going to critique the size of the hackle!:rolleyes:

BlueRaiderFan
10-16-2008, 03:12 PM
I would think that if the trout is dumb.... er....hungry enough to hit the indicator, it is not going to critique the size of the hackle!:rolleyes:

Good point! I would like to try and be as technically correct as possible. I wish I lived near LRO. I could take their class. I get in to LRO a few times a year, but don't have time to tie flies while I'm busy trying to catch fish:biggrin: They may have just been slapping at my indicator, but I did see one take it in his mouth, so I figure it's worth a shot. I should have been fishing streamers that day anyway:biggrin:

MickinMS
10-16-2008, 04:54 PM
I have fished a tailwater in Arkansas where the fish would hit little foam indicators. I always assumed they thought they were eggs!

As for your fly, technically the hackle is a little long. There are a lot of good fly tying info on the web. Just keep trying and tying. I think the worst thing you can do when you are starting out is try to be too perfect. Remember, fish have really small brains. If it looks buggy they will eat it!

BlueRaiderFan
10-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I've picked up a lot on youtube, but I've noticed they leave out a lot of stuff that you guys mention on here,so taking a class would be nice.

bigpopper
10-17-2008, 01:12 AM
BRF,
Nice lookin fly! Bet that will brig 'em down! :biggrin: Good Luck!

BlueRaiderFan
10-17-2008, 09:10 AM
BRF,
Nice lookin fly! Bet that will brig 'em down! :biggrin: Good Luck!

Ha! I doubt it, but it's fun to try these things to see what will happen.:biggrin: