PDA

View Full Version : a summer tale...

jross
10-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Just thought I'd post this up, because I know every fisherman can relate.

This August while vacationing, I decided to try a different river. So we headed over the mountain to the oconoluftee. On the way back, with just minutes to go before dark, the fish turn on. I tied on a nymph dropper with 7x (big mistake). Started catching fish and missed the majority of them. But at one rather unassuming hole I flipped at the head end and let it drift. At the end of the hole, my fly neatly and slowly sinks, set the hook, it felt GOOD. But moments later, I'm holding my nymphless line in my hand! I still get worked up over that incident!
How big could it have been? what should I have done? My wife doesn't understand, but I thought someone here might.....thanks for reading this and letting my share.

Speckleman5
10-15-2008, 08:00 PM
It could have been VERY big. The luftee has some monster fish in it. Sounds like you did something right to get it to to strike....I would keep it up and always check my line for frays above the dropper.

doghaircaddis
10-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Just think, maybe the only way to fool that monster was with 7x. 5 or 6x and the fish may not have eaten at all. Sometimes the fish do win, but experiences like yours are what drive us to fish even more.

BlueRaiderFan
10-15-2008, 09:50 PM
What was the mistake with the 7X?

jross
10-16-2008, 07:59 AM
maybe ya'll are right. 7x was adequate. I just know that I'd used 5x the whole time and did fine. Oh well.....

But Speckleman just got me wound up again! I caught my biggest trout ever on a fly rod this summer and this fish felt better by far than any of them!

Rog 1
10-16-2008, 09:13 AM
After a while you can tell just by the feel....there is a difference in how a 7 inch fish fights than a 6 incher....all sorts of other factors....color, location of the strike and just experience....beauty of it all is that until that strike occurs each drift has the potential to end up with the biggest fish ever....got to love the anticipation.....but there is always that empty feeling when you know there was something special on the end of your line and you never got the chance to at least eyeball the sucker....but then that is what keeps us coming back.