PDA

View Full Version : A Little More Help

Gypsy
10-16-2008, 07:42 PM
:confused: I will be fishing the west side of the park the middle of next week. Again being new to the park I was looking at Around Elkmont, or Abrams, or Jake's. I have never fished or been to any of them. I was wondering if I could get a little input or suggestions on the three. Thanks in advance!

Speckleman5
10-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Not as familiar with that are as I should be, but use the search function and search for those names...you'll find more info than you are able to read.

2weightfavorite
10-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Out of those choices I would have to focus on the Little river, both above and below Elkmont. It is a good sized river with bows and browns. It also holds the potential for some really big browns, especially as fall moves onward. Jakes creek is small normally, and with this drought its barely a trickle. Plenty of small fish in it however, and if you get into a situation when all the other rivers are high, it could still be fishable. Abrams creek... I love to fish it, hate to drive to it. It is back in the way way way back of cades cove, which is a motor nature trail. This time of year allow for a couple of hours to get to the stream from the beginning of cades cove. I was up there last week and it was a total zoo! Anyway, hope that helps a little. By the way, Elkmont is only a 15 minute drive to the west orong of the little pigeon, another option, which has brookies as well!

PeteCz
10-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Excellent advice from 2wt, and in the right order as well...Elkmont then WPLP...Abrams if you don't mind the traffic...skip Jake's Creek for now...

Kytroutbum
10-16-2008, 11:22 PM
I ditto everything, and emphasize comments on Abram's. I would throw a Renegade (Western pattern), Elkhair Caddis, or beetle pattern for dries. If the water level goes up and gets colored, try a small streamer for Browns.

BlueRaiderFan
10-17-2008, 09:15 AM
:confused: I will be fishing the west side of the park the middle of next week. Again being new to the park I was looking at Around Elkmont, or Abrams, or Jake's. I have never fished or been to any of them. I was wondering if I could get a little input or suggestions on the three. Thanks in advance!

Gypsy, I'm fairly new to this myself and tried up above Elkmont. I saw a few good size fish, but I waded too much and wasn't stealthy enough. I also didn't go high enough up the trail, from what I've heard. They say to walk about 1 hour in the summer and then fish. In part due to water temp and in part due to fishing pressure. I would say it's really cold up that high right now, but the fish are less pressured, so it may still be a good idea. I would check with these guys before I took that information as accurate though. Elkmont is a beautiful walk too, so bring a camera (and rain gear and an emergency blanket and a whistle for the bears! :biggrin: ). Good luck.

jeffnles1
10-18-2008, 12:17 PM
I echo the choices so far. For a first time vist to the Park, I think Elkmont above the campground and the areas below the campground are a little easier to fish. The stream is fairly large (By park standards) and the overhanging canopy is a little higher making casting a bit easier. The stream is easy to wade and there are enough rocks etc. for you to hide behind while trying to sneak up on the trout.

Another area is the middle prong of the Little river. Commonly called Tremont. That stream is also pretty easy to fish.

WPLP is a fun stream but boulder hopping is the rule of the day in most of it. There are some house sized rocks in the stream. It's a lot of fun and one of my favorites but I do fine the Elkmont area to be a little easier to fish.

Hope this helps.
Jeff