PDA

View Full Version : packs

flyred06
10-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Does any one have any good suggestions on a fly fishing vest/pack that carries an extra rod tube and is not bulky. I have not seen anything in fishpond or orvis that I have really liked so far. Any ideas would be appreciated.

bigpopper
10-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Does any one have any good suggestions on a fly fishing vest/pack that carries an extra rod tube and is not bulky. I have not seen anything in fishpond or orvis that I have really liked so far. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Flyred06,
BlueRaiderFan just got a new pack that sounds like what you are looking for. Post him or send him a email.
Best of luck finding what you need.

BlueRaiderFan
10-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Mine doesn't carry rod tubes.

Bran
10-23-2008, 09:42 AM
William Joseph has a couple, the Escape and Exodus that look pretty good and they're rigged to carry a tube on either side. I don't have personal experience with either one though, we're coming back by LRO in November and my wife is going to get me a Fishpond Doublehaul for my Christmas present.

Troutman
10-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Just another idea... I've found that a hydration pack (Camelbak Style) fits good to the body, is not overly bulky, stores water, packable rain jacket, snack, extra fly box, etc. and if you sew on a couple of velcro securing straps to the pack on the non- casting shoulder side, it holds a tube or rod in sock pretty well and not stick out to catch onto everything because the packs are narrow.
I use a lanyard for tippet and tools and carry a days worth of flies in a small flybox in a front pocket. I've found this system to work for me for day hike fishing.

cardfly
10-23-2008, 01:24 PM
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=16813&cat=764&page=2

I have Shooting Star from Fishpond. They have a couple of other versions but I know this one holds a rod tube. I really like it and just use the front of the pack on many trips.

flyred06
10-23-2008, 04:13 PM
cardfly i am coming into town this weekend and am going tho stop by LRO and check out the shooting star pack. I also like the idea troutman had. I am looking on ebay for other packs that might not be as popular as some of these. But i am always open for suggestions. I also like to the shooting stars versitility.:rolleyes:

David Knapp
10-23-2008, 05:38 PM
I'll second Troutman's idea...I've switched to a lanyard in the last year and on backcountry trips just add a hydration pack with enough pocket room for the few extras I need (lunch, fly box, etc). Works great for me!

Bullwinkle
10-29-2008, 08:00 PM
checkout the Day Pack from Mother's the gun sleeve is perfect for a couple of rod tubes and the thing doesn't even feel like you have it on.

http://www.mothertech.net/products_hunting.html

flyred06
10-30-2008, 02:45 PM
I was in town up there the other day and Daniel at LRO really helped out. I think I have decided on a orvis pack. Thanks for all the advise.

Wilson10
11-18-2008, 11:41 AM
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=16813&cat=764&page=2

I have Shooting Star from Fishpond. They have a couple of other versions but I know this one holds a rod tube. I really like it and just use the front of the pack on many trips.

I also have the shooting star pack and I LOVE mine. Plenty of room and very diverse for different fishing situations.

*** Just for future reference if anyone else is looking to buy a pack ***