PDA

View Full Version : Bryon's stealth Shrimp

Kytroutbum
10-23-2008, 11:47 PM
Did you get that one tied? If so, I'd like to tie some up to throw at Snook, reds Baby Tarpon in the mangroves on Sanibel and glades this winter.

Byron Begley
10-24-2008, 12:45 PM
I tied up a bunch of them in different colors. I used them in Florida three weeks ago. They didn't work but the conditions were not right. The water was discolored in the marsh and out in the deeper clear water the fish were deeper. I'll try them next week. Here they are:

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/todaysimages/stealthshrimp.jpg

Kytroutbum
10-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks, going to tie some up for some Baby Tarpon that have been seen too many streamers.

gmreeves
10-24-2008, 02:39 PM
What makes them sink?

Byron Begley
10-24-2008, 02:44 PM
They don't sink. They dive under due to their shape. I think they might work on oyster beds where you don't want to get hung up.

Byron

MickinMS
10-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Those look great Byron! I wonder how they would do on a sink tip or full sink line? Anyway, looks like a fish would pound it!

EARTHWORX
11-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Hello Byron,
I hope all is good. We ( the family and I ) sure miss the mountians. When I returned from Townsend I tried the Stealth Shrimp you gave me on some young schooling bass and it was very productive. I went to waccasassa on Thursday. We came out of the river and turned north toward Cedar Key. I fished the Stealth Shrimp, again it was very productive. Three slot reds and the specs wouldn't stop. They distroyed the foam,but I kept casting. Please Help!! I didn't see them online for sale, if they are even for sale. You must be coming back to FL. because the wind tonight must be blowing 25 knts. and cold, and that looks like the forecast for the next week. Ha Ha!! I probably shouldn't joke seeing that I need help with shrimp. Thanks again,

Herb

bigpopper
11-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Byron,
I really like the look of those "stealth shrimp", and it sounds like they work really well. Are you selling them? .....I really need to learn how to tie flies, because I believe i'm headded to the poor house :p due to my addiction of buying fly gear and flies. One day I'l learn to tie and start saving money:biggrin:.

Stonefly
11-16-2008, 01:44 PM
One day I'l learn to tie and start saving money:biggrin:.

That's funny. I don't even want to know how much $$ I have tied up in materials.

sb

Byron Begley
11-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Hey Guys,

We don't sell them because they are not currently being tied by a production tying company. The concept was invented by Kent Edmonds who is a friend of mine. All I did was take his bass fly, add some eyes and tied some legs off the back of the fly. I wouldn't copy his method and sell flies. He works for Rainey's Flies and I hope they start tying them, expecially now that I know they will catch fish. You can go to his website and get the instructions and templates to cut the foam. I use mono eyes and sili legs with some Krystal Flash tied into the back of the fly which is the mouth of the shrimp. Click Here (http://www.flyfishga.com/stealth.htm).

Byron

flyred06
11-17-2008, 12:45 PM
I have been dying to see what those flies looked like. I redfish in Louisianna each spring and I may just have to try those out.

EARTHWORX
11-23-2008, 04:50 PM
Hello All,

The Stealth Shrimp saga continues. I visited our local bait shop for some fly tying supplies to try to tie the S.S. Our local bait shop is one of the last true bait shops left on the planet. It has a little of everything and I mean everything. It's called the Tackle Box in Gainesville. Gary the owner took me to the fly material area to show me what he had. Believe it or not he has quite a bit of fly stuff. However he had no foam, but did have a decent vise, tools, and a few other nick nacks. I ended up at a fly shop in Jacksonville for the rest of the material. Boy were they impressed with the S.S.. I gave them Kent Edmonds web address and a breif description of your enhancements so they returned the favor in a fly tying crash lesson. I been reading some tying books but the hands on was a great help.
To date I have 6 S.S., 3 of Mr. Edmonds Stealth Bombers, and 4 stremers tied. None, of course, look as good as I would like but I'm sure tying improves with time. I truley am enjoying learning this aspect of fly fishing. Holding true to how things normaly go for me, these 13 flys cost about 21.36 each. Mr. Baker was right, tie and save, that is funny.

Byron Begley
11-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Herb,

Wait until you catch your first fish on the fly you tied yourself. That takes gratification to a whole new level. You can buy the foam at craft stores cheap and in large sheets.

We got in some Stealth Bomber "knock offs". They are called the "Covert Mission". I took photos this weekend and they should be for sale on the online catalog next week. If you go to the Fishing Report today they are both in the slide show at the top of the page. I am waiting for Kent to have them tied by the company he reps. He said they won't do it for a while. Kent gave me some that he tied. Now those look great. I gave him some shrimp.

Byron