PDA

View Full Version : Need a new net

ChemEAngler
10-25-2008, 08:57 PM
I am in need of a new net. I have one of those measureNets in the small size, and until this year it has been adequate for all my needs. It is built to handle up to a 20" fish, but twice now I have had difficulty landing large fish. I don't want to drop $100 on a net, but I have heard good things about Brodin's Ghost Net. Anybody out there have any input on this net or can they recommend another?

Travis

tire guy
10-25-2008, 09:20 PM
I have one and it works really well. It is easier on the fish and will not grad your hook. I am not sure of the sizes available but if your fish are too large...... tuff problem lol

ChemEAngler
10-25-2008, 09:41 PM
I have one and it works really well. It is easier on the fish and will not grad your hook. I am not sure of the sizes available but if your fish are too large...... tuff problem lol

Trust me, I never had that problem until this year. It happened to me again today. I had a fish that when I netted it, the head and tail were both hanging over. As I was trying to remove the hooks, it flipped one good time and out it went. I was just concerned about not being able to properly let it regain its strength before swimming off. Earlier this year with the brown in my avatar, I tried netting it but it wouldn't fit. Luckily my fishing buddy was right there to net it for me.

Travis

David Knapp
10-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Travis, where are the pics? :biggrin: Sounds like you got a really nice fish today...congrats. I've been puzzling over the net for large fish problem for awhile now so if you figure out a good solution let me know. I've been a bit tempted to just by one of the long handle boat nets and carry. Lots of guides out west go this route when big fish are a definite possibility even if they are wading, both when they are fishing on their own and if they have a client. Seems like it might be a bit of a hassle but definitely worth it as you wouldn't be harming any fish with a too small net...

ttas67
10-26-2008, 01:39 AM
I don't want to drop $100 for a ghost net either, but I may just do it this year. I'm having major problems with flies getting stuck in the net, as well as having large fish bolt when the net approaches them.

out west we definitely saw alot of guides with nets large enough to corral a large dog. the extra long handle would be a real plus! I got into a few 20"er's the other day and absolutely could not get them within reach of my net without breaking them off. luckily a man and his wife were fishing below me and came to my rescue more than once with their net. If you guys are reading this, thanks a ton!

Grumpy
10-26-2008, 07:06 AM
Brodin makes a Float Tube model that isn't isn't as long as the standard boat model, plus a couple of new Ghost nets are coming out.
I've been using a rubber net for years out of the boat, love 'em.

Grumpy

ChemEAngler
10-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Travis, where are the pics? :biggrin: Sounds like you got a really nice fish today...congrats. I've been puzzling over the net for large fish problem for awhile now so if you figure out a good solution let me know. I've been a bit tempted to just by one of the long handle boat nets and carry. Lots of guides out west go this route when big fish are a definite possibility even if they are wading, both when they are fishing on their own and if they have a client. Seems like it might be a bit of a hassle but definitely worth it as you wouldn't be harming any fish with a too small net...

David,
I am going to post some pics on the blog as soon as I get a chance, but I didn't get a shot of the big one. It flipped out of the net as I was trying to get the hook out and before I could get a shot. We were into some more good fish today, but the biggest one landed was a very plump 16" brownie. I am thinking I will probably have to pony up the money for a decent net, it will end up being worth it in the long run.

Travis

golfballs03
10-26-2008, 09:55 PM
I've got the Brodin Gallatin Ghost and love it.

ChemEAngler
10-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Hey Golfballs,

What is your opinion of its build quality? Is it pretty sturdy? The reason I am asking is because my buddy bought two wooden nets that snapped like twigs. I imagine the Brodin is higher quality than these, but just had to ask your opinion.

Travis

Fishermansfly
10-27-2008, 01:50 PM
I've got a Brodin Ghost net that you can borrow to see if you gonna like it. How do you fish, with a vest or a phanny pack? That's gonna make a huge difference in what I would reccomend you to buy! The yak net is awesome for a phanny pack but the C&R net slips out of the phanny pack the way I wear it and that's allotta money to go floating downstream. However, with the magnet and a bungee teather it's an awesome combination with a vest.

Shoot me an email or call me before you go and buy one so I can better explain what I'm attempting to say!

~Brett

golfballs03
10-27-2008, 02:05 PM
The net is high quality - real sturdy. I couldn't even imagine it snapping.

I use a chestpack and bought one of those magnetic net holders where one end I attached to the neck pad and the other is on the tip of the net. it works great.