PDA

View Full Version : It's Redfish time in TN!

Flat Fly n
10-27-2008, 09:36 PM
And a big thanks to all the folks at LRO who have endured my many phone calls to get ready for some SC "specks and spots" (Speckled Trout and Redfish).
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/tnflyfish/StripedMummi.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/tnflyfish/IMGP0498-1.jpg

MickinMS
10-28-2008, 10:35 AM
FFN-

Phenomenal looking box of flies. I have never chased the redfish with a fly, but am dying to try. Maybe this spring. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!!

Byron Begley
10-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Beautiful flies Flat. I see some that are fur'n to me. Can't wait to see them up close. We are weathered out here in Florida. Hopefully we'll get out tomorrow. Have a great time on your trip.

Byron

Flat Fly n
10-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Maybe I should sell them? HMMMMM

On one of my trips to Beaufort I met one of the nicest guys out there that just happened to fix my boat. Busted scupper hose. Water coming in faster than the bilge could empty. Best quote of the week from Dean's Uncle Fuzzy...."Are we gonna drown?" Now you know where he gets it from!

Dean and I go back to pick up the boat and this fellow Jim takes us redfishing his way. Loiusiana floats and a MUMMICHOG or mud minnow attached. They are actually a weird looking little fish/tadpole kind of thing, that have silver stripes..ie Striped Mummichog. Well we got taken to Redfish School by this fellow and his "chogs", while we were casting clausers. We did all right, but got put in our place.

I went back this summer and the above fly worked great until my boat broke again. Don't ask, but I need a good mechanic. I caught some great trout until the engine gave out from water in the gas tank..thank you Shell on I-95.

I added the chartuese after seeing a redfish tourney on TV where they were using a chartuese tipped soft baits. I contacted the guys at Hareline and they don't make them, but they told me how I could do it. So to make a long story longer, I am combining parts of a tarpon fly idea from Fish and Fly, Vol.8, #2 (or LRO fly tying section on this board, 3/2008 to manage the zonker tail, lead eyes to get them down, and combining two different zonker strips to make one for hopefully a great MUMMICHOG HAWG fly!

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/marine/mrri/acechar/specgal/mummicho.htm

flyman
10-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Be sure and tie a few of the Clousers with just bead chain eyes for weight. Quite often the fish are very shallow and a big plop from a heavy fly will send them in 20 different directions. I don't know what other patterns have been recommend to you, but I'd tie up a few copperheads to. They are easy to tie and are one of my favorite red fish flies.:smile:

http://www.saltyflyrodders.org/fom/oct2001/oct2001.htm

seagull
10-29-2008, 05:24 AM
Look at the orange and white checkerboard popper in his box! Don't call me warped anymore.

While the mummichog wars continue, my new prototype is a shrimp fly with a rattle in it. When Mr. Mummichog was giving us his "clinic", the bobber he was using had a rattle in it, which he said attracted fish because shrimp make clicking noises. He was constantly jerking on the bobber to make noise, and he put us to shame on redfish. I don't know if it was the rattle or the chog, but we will find out Sunday. Big fun is imminent!

Byron Begley
10-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Flyman,

You are right on...Copperheads in gold and copper. A month ago down here in the Big Bend they wanted the copper. Use bead chain so you don't get hung up as much and they don't make a lot of noise when they hit the water. They work as good as a spoonfly without the hassle of tying. Specks love them too.

Byron

Byron Begley
10-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Flat, Flyman and Seagull,

I'm in charge of Troutfest next year. I would like to have all of you tie in the fly tiers tent. You will need to demonstrate for about 4 or 5 hours. You will have the rest of the weekend to enjoy the Expo. Seagull, I know you have already volunteered. Flat, I know you will. Flyman, we need you here. I want to meet you, or maybe I already have. I want to have you here. Flat, if you have not visited the Troutfest website you should, you are on the home page. Please get back to me guys.

Byron

Flat Fly n
10-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Thanks Flyman.
I have enough junk around here that I got 4 tied tonight. I have some chain eyes on some of the flies, but I will add a few more. You can never have enough flies.

Byron.
I would consider it an honor to tie at Troutfest. I will set the date on my calendar and make sure I am off that weekend.

bigpopper
10-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Great lookin boxes o' flies! Had to wipe the drool off my chin before I type this. LOLOLOL :biggrin: I second what Byron was saying about copper colored flies. I have what's called a Copper Popper for redfish. I'm using it for my avatar picture. I didnt get go for the Reds back in September, but iv'e been told its a really good fly for them. Best of luck to ya!

TroutBum88
10-31-2008, 09:34 AM
Best of luck to Flat and Seagull as they attack the Reds! Two finest fly fisherman I have ever had the privilege to fish with.

BlueRaiderFan
10-31-2008, 08:04 PM
What's a redfish?

JimmyC
11-01-2008, 11:17 AM
You know:
One fish, two fish
Redfish, Bluefish ...

flyman
11-01-2008, 12:38 PM
BRF- They go by several names, but bottom line is they are great sport on a fly. They require basically the same set of skills needed to stalk and catch trout. Sight fishing to tailing reds will get your heart thumping in a hurry.

http://www.ncfisheries.net/content/resource/red_drum.htm

Byron- I would be honored to tie at troutfest. I will email you to confirm, thanks for the invitation:biggrin:

BlueRaiderFan
11-01-2008, 04:24 PM
I'll have to look into that...I was thinking it might be some sort of bass. I'm always looking for another fish to stalk.:smile:

bigpopper
11-02-2008, 12:04 AM
BRF,
"Reds" are Red Drums a very fun saltwater species to catch. Red Drum is accepted common name. They go by Reds, Red fish, i've even heard spot tails. They are in the drum family Sciaenidae, they make a thumping sound "drumming" when they are out of the water for a while and when attracting mates in the water. Hope this answers your question.