PDA

View Full Version : Help with my first waders

Grannyknot
10-30-2008, 03:48 PM
My wife got me a gift certificate to LRO for my birthday yesterday, so I'm gonna invest in some waders and boots.

I have ~$300 to spend, so what do you guys suggest I look at? Also, can you explain some of the features I should look for?

Thanks!

golfballs03
10-30-2008, 04:15 PM
we just had a similar discussion here:
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11491

tire guy
10-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Go try them on. You will not go wrong with the selection at LRO because they stand behind what they sell. I went ecenomy first to make sure I would pursue this in a long term and then purchased higher quality with more features. Good Luck

TNFishnstix
10-31-2008, 09:13 AM
While you are at LRO, take a look at the Korkers line of wading boots! Awesome comfort, Changable soles, and prices that won't give you sticker shock! Silver Label Waders, and Korkers make a nice combination

TroutBum88
10-31-2008, 09:25 AM
The main thing you want if fit, but breathablility really will help out. For 300 bucks, I would look at some Simms Blackfoot waders (not Gore-Tex but a great wader from a great company). Just a suggestion. I have a pair and love them. Best thing for boots is to try em on and make sure theyre comfortable (helps when youre willing to walk a few miles to fish a stretch)

Fishermansfly
10-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Fit and breathablitly for starters! SIMMS, SIMMS, SIMMS, SIMMS!!!! There is one nice thing about this company. They don't sell rods, reels, or anything else fishing related. Thier focus is waders, boots and clothing type items! I have a set of Tailwaters XT's but they are a little bulky. ORVIS's new Pro Guide's are also nice, but I would reccomend trying them on and walking around in them for a few minutes to see where the fabric will end up settling when you walk. Make sure the crotch portion of the waders don't fall down to your thigh, this is the problem I have with the tailwaters. It can make for tough wading! Orvis seems to have a wierd sizing chart, that and I'm not a little guy!

I would also strongly reccomend the Korker's boots. I've owned to pair and won't own anything else! There mid priced and better than most high priced boots, lighter, and the soles are exchangable! The ankle support you get from these boots are pretty good too.

~Brett

monktrout
10-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Grannyknot, Take a look at the Orvis Silver label. I've bought two pairs from LRO over the years. No problems and very,very comfortable. Simms guide boots seem indestructible and fit well, but they are pricey.Others rave about Korkers. Must be something to their enthusiasim. Monktrout

Grumpy
11-01-2008, 07:26 AM
I'll 3rd or 4th the Korkers;) Ask yourself how many days a year you fish & what conditions you fish. The more time & rougher the conditions, look at the middle or top end wader for more durability.
As already suggested, go with the brand that fit's the best & remember to have room for layers if you like to play in the winter.

Grumpy

SWAMPUS
11-05-2008, 02:21 AM
Have been thru several pairs of waders-finally gave up.I wade wet wearing fast drying pants.If you really want waders,for God's sake make sure they're comfortable regardless of price.Stmbling over rocks,climbing banks,driving between take-outs,etc.demands comfort.Being older I'd make darned sure the boots were not only comfortable but provide max support.A turned ankle can ruin your day.There is a way to wade wet and remain fairly warm.

Grannyknot
11-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. Last friday I picked up a pair of Simms L2s (On Sale for $179) and Korkers "Cross Current" boots.

I took them out to the Clinch sunday and can say that I am very pleased with both products. The folks at LRO were a great help in picking them out and even offered me some pizza!

golfballs03
11-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Good deal.

Carolina Boy
11-14-2008, 05:46 PM
I won SIMMS waders & boots, Love em, Had a seem problem with the waders after about 3 years, mailed em back to Montana, where Simms is located and they replaced em with a new pair for free. Excellent American company to deal with, they wil let ya come check out their factory in Bozeman if your ever there. Very cool people. Send in the warranty card!!!