PDA

View Full Version : Why I like low water

Brian Griffing
11-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Last year, during the worst of the drought, I remember a thread where people were looking for the good sides of low water. People talked about the fact that the fish were concentrated, easier wading, etc. I mentioned that an angler could now see a lot of possible hiding and holding spots that would otherwise be invisible.
Recently I have discovered another reason why low water is great. Last week I took my 3 year old son fishind with me along Tremont, and yesterday I took my 5 year old daughter. With the water low, I wasn't nearly as nervous about one of them falling into a swift current. I have had them with me when the water was higher, and I didn't get much fishing in. I had to hold their hands every step of the way, as every bit of water was capable of washing a small child downstream. But this summer and fall, I have allowed then to slowly pick their own way through the easier portions, as long as we aren't too close to the main current. They feel a little more independent and get to explore the streambed a little more.
As far as a fishing report goes: I was fishing just a little ways above the Institute, the water temp was 48 degrees between 3 and 5 p.m. I saw light colored caddis coming off the water, and despite being accompanied by a loud, short person who was clad in a bright blue sweatshirt and liked throwing rocks into the water, I was able to land several rainbows, one about nine inches, the rest smaller, and one small brown. I was using a size 16 tan bodied elk hair caddis, which I managed to start and end with, even after putting it in a tree several times while swinging my head around to check on the little girl.
On a side note, I was able to get the brown and one of the rainbows into my daughter's little hands so that she could release them. The rest hit the water between the removal of the fly and the transfer. I know it's a little more stressful on the fish, but you should have seen that little girl's face light up. I think I got a good hook set on her.

SWAMPUS
11-03-2008, 02:21 PM
I Knew There Was A Bright Side To Low Water!it's The Perfect Opp To Get The Kids Started.maybe There's A Camping/fishiing Parent/kid Weekend That Could Be Put Together Every Year During Low Water Season.don't Have Any Young'uns,but Would Rather See Kids Fishing/camping Than Glued To Boob Tube/video Games.

PeteCz
11-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Great Job Brian! I'm constantly amazed at how fast my 3 and 5yr old sons turned into 17 and 19year olds...enjoy the low water...it'll be quickly out the door (girls, cars, jobs, schools, hockey.....)

Rog 1
11-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Good point...and once they get bigger they can help us old f**ts across the faster water and up and over the rocks....just now enjoying these benefits.

Kodak
11-09-2008, 12:06 AM
You got that right. I'm afraid to go out without one of them by my side. I am only a Junior member but am definitley one of those old "F**ts"

Brian Griffing
11-09-2008, 11:30 AM
I took the two older ones to watch the Vols get pushed around by a bad Wyoming team yesterday, and discovered two things: I worry about them less in the waters of the Little River than I do about them splashing in the puddles of the men's room in Neyland Stadium, and that they have an easier time boulder hopping on Tremont than they do climbing up to the nosebleed seats.

Worrgamesguy
11-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Good point...and once they get bigger they can help us old f**ts across the faster water and up and over the rocks....just now enjoying these benefits.

Is fart seriously a sensored word? HAHA! I used to be one of those kids with unsure footing, never went for a swim though.