PDA

View Full Version : Cades Cove Heritage Tours

Kodak
11-09-2008, 12:00 AM
My wife Jane & I went on the Cades Cove Heritage Tour last month and thought it was terrific. We went with the new drivers who were finishing their training and learned a great deal.

On the way to the cove, a video of the history of the park was playing on an HD flat screen tv with excellent sound quality. The audio from the tour guide/driver was outstanding and the bus air quality was very comfortable. There are large ceiling to floor windows on each side so the veiw in either direction is great.

We made 3 stops and at each one we got out and the driver gave us more information about where we were.

We highly recommend it.

Jim & Jane

ChemEAngler
11-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Very cool, I have been wondering what that experience is like. Sounds like it is quite nice. Now, if they can only find a way to entice people to use their service instead of everybody driving the loop and stopping to take pictures of every squirrel that they see....

How many people do you think they can fit in one bus?

Travis

Bran
11-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Where are these trips leaving from and what are the costs of a tour? This is the first I've heard of it.

EARTHWORX
11-10-2008, 09:57 AM
After reading the fishing report on Sat., I reflected on our trip to Townsend a few months ago. In between a "hectic" schedule of hiking, biking, picnicing, and of course fly fishing, we made several unsuccesful attemps at visiting the Heritage Center while they were open. WOW, we are glad we didn't give up, what a treat. The young man at the front desk informed us that they would be closing in a hour or so and suggested that we see the inside first. With my great sense of direction and my ability to never need directions, we went through the museum in reverse. It wasn't until the end of the tour that I discovered that alot of the artifacts came from right up the road from the road widening project. Everyone was, as most are in Townsend, very friendly. The director, who's name I can't remember, came out and unlocked some of the out buildings and gave us a personal tour, and even the maintainence fellow let our 3 year old pick cherry tomatos, some basil , and a lemon mint plant. They could have easily passed us with a "hello, how are ya" and continued to close up, but instead made us feel as if the Heritage Center was built just for us to see. Don't pass this place by, it is truely a "GEM".
The Director gave us a wealth of info and told us they would be starting the Cades Cove Tours soon. What a great idea, 12 to 15 people in one vehicle instead of 12 to 15 people in 10 vehicles. Don't get me wrong I've driven the loop plenty, but we have also hiked it, biked it, took the hay ride, and can't wait to come back and take the Cades Cove Tour.

Herb Horne

Byron Begley
11-10-2008, 09:58 AM
The tours leave from a location next to the Heritage Center close to the Park entrance. Here is a link to their website. Look under tickets for costs.

http://www.cadescoveheritagetours.org/

Byron

Byron Begley
11-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Hey Herb,

I hope you all are doing well.

Would you e-mail me your mailing address. My e-mail address is below. I sent you a new customer thank you card a couple of weeks ago and it was returned. We must have it wrong in our computer.

Thanks,

Byron