PDA

View Full Version : LR Browns

nvr2L8
11-09-2008, 09:09 PM
OK, got a question for some of you Little River brown fisherpersons out there (can you hear me calling, David?). I have gotten the impression from some of the posts and discussions that browns tend to congregate in pools and such vs. bows that appear to spread out all up and down the river. What's the deal? If that's the case, any explanation for that or is just their nature?

pmike
11-10-2008, 10:13 PM
...pods of Bows and pods of Browns in some pools. I have even seen Bows and Browns in the same pool, so I am not sure about your question. Now I would suspect that beings larger Browns feed off of other fish, including Bows and if my reading is correct they also will eat their own young, other fish would tend to find other areas to hold and feed in order to avoid becoming food themselves.

Mike

David Knapp
11-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Fish need food, a place to rest, and protection. The larger pools generally offer more potential food or a more concentrated food source (i.e. at the head of the pool) and obviously offer better protection in general. The large browns will move around though in and out of the pools to feed. The larger pools are a good starting spot for finding big fish but by no means the only place. My best brown earlier this summer came from a pocket the size of a bathtub but it was not too far upstream of a much better pool. It had moved up from the water with more protection into water that was better for feeding. This is a topic that is really at the heart of finding and catching fish of any size. If you only fish high percentage water then you will catch more and better fish much of the time... If you are interested in learning more about holding water, I would highly recommend the book "Reading the Water" by Dave Hughes. Several years ago I picked up a copy at LRO and it was definitely worth reading. I still glance back through that book from time to time...

milligan trout degree
11-10-2008, 11:45 PM
I think I notice this more when fishing tailwaters than when fishing small streams. I catch a lot of bows when fishing quick riffles and more browns when fishing slower water.

nvr2L8
11-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks, guys.