PDA

View Full Version : Happy Veterans Day

Bran
11-11-2008, 10:45 PM
This is really late but I'm out of town and wish I'd gotten it earlier in the day. A happy veteran's day to all who have been in our armed services, served our country, and been willing to give the ultimate sacrifice for freedom. A special prayer for those who have lost loved ones in service, and for those who are, today, serving in hot spots globally. We appreciate you, we honor you, and you're the reason we are the greatest nation in the world still! Thank you, sincerely,

Bran Midkiff
USMC 1991-94
Semper Fi

Worrgamesguy
11-11-2008, 10:55 PM
No, thank you, sir!

ijsouth
11-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks for posting this....and thanks to all the vets for their service.

USAF
1988-1992

txfoneman
11-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Thanks! :smile:

May your Cooler be Full and the Wind at your Back!

RG
USAF
1978-1994

pmike
11-13-2008, 10:32 AM
...but sincerest of thanks to all the men and women that have and who may yet be serving our nation in military service. I have nothing but the utmost respect and greatest appreciation for all each of you have done to secure our freedoms.

I recently had the grief and yet also the honor of helping perform an elderly friends funeral upon his recent passing. I knew this man was retired military, army more specifically. Before his funeral we were give the typical clergy cards which detail the individual's bio and such. Paul who was a slight man and as a major understatement, was incredibly reserved, was decorated veteran of WW2, Korea, and Viet Nam. The man had received more medals than he had room on his chest to bare and had lived a life of heroism that movies are made from.

Then there's Bob, my next door neighbor, who just turned 92 a couple of months ago. He and seven brothers all served our nation in Marines and the Navy during WW II. He was stationed at one point on Guadal Canal and saw incredible atrocities that break his heart to think much less speak of unto this day. Then following his service, upon arriving home, Bob was greeted with a call to inform him that his young wife and the mother of his then, only child, had passed a week or so before his return, suddenly and on his part un-expectedly. I can't begin to imagine the courage these men and so many other including service women have shown. In the light of such sacrifice and dedication a simple thank you seems so superficial, but I offer my thanks just the same and pray the Lord's best for reward of your commitment and service.

God Bless,
Mike

Bran
11-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys,
Thanks to each one who took a minute to reflect. Mike, those WWII vets are leaving us quick, there's only a few left. I have one in my Sunday School class, one left, and 10 years ago I had about 4 in there. It's a hard pill to swallow that the greatest generation is almost gone. I have the privelage tomorrow afternoon to be traveling to downtown Philadelphia with a local. We're going to the congress building and the Liberty Bell. We'll see the original draft of the declarationof independence, and visit the birth place of the USMC, Ben Franklin's grave, and the US mint, all within a walkof one another. Pretty neat stuff, especially for an old country boy who's blood runs red, white, and blue. God bless each one of you and may He bless our great land again.

pmike
11-14-2008, 04:47 PM
...those Veterans are all but gone. My own father served in the USN and was among other things stationed in the Aleutian Islands during his term of service which was also during WWII. Dad passed away almost 3 years ago and never spoke much about what he saw, but rumor had it, he and the men with him saw some pretty atrocious things. Most folks mistakenly believed that the US was never invaded, but the Aleutians were and had to be all but recaptured, then defended.

God Bless,
Mike