PDA

View Full Version : Ross Essence FS fly rods

fly fisherman DK
11-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Does anyone have this fly rod or has cast one? My dad and I recently went to the Smokies and now he knows he needs a better rod than he has right now. So I was thinking about getting him a whole new setup. Then, I found out that Ross sells an outfit that includes an Essence FS fly rod, and a Ross flystart reel prespooled with line and backing. One thing you need to know is that my dad is a beginner, so if ya'll know if it is a good beginner rod or not that would help me a lot in my selection too. Thank you for your suggestions.

Thanks,

Daniel Koeppel

tire guy
11-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Daniel buying a rod and reel is as much a part of the process as tying on the fly. Enjoy the experience and go try them out. You never know what both of you will learn. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

jeffnles1
11-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Daniel,
A lot of it depends on what your dad wants to fish for and what type of water he's going to fish. Your choices are only limited by the amount of money you want to spend.

I have a Ross flystart reel and it's a decent reel for the price. I've never cast one of their rods so I can't say one way or the other.

In the same price range more or less, the TFO rods are good too. Saying one is better than another is kind of like saying a Toyota is better than a Ford or that a BMW is better than a Lexus. Different price points and different dynamics, but they all will get you back and forth to work just the same. Fly rods are the same idea. Is a Ross better than a TFO and is a Winston better than a Scott? Maybe, maybe not, but one thing I know for sure, the fish doesn't care what rod it's caught on.

Figure your budget, try to get somewhere to test cast a few, decide what you'll be fishing for most and find one that says "buy me".

I've cast a LOT of different rods and to be honest, I can't actually say I've cast one that was bad. There are ones I like better than others and some high dollar rods I didn't like as well as others. I do own a coupld "high dollar" type rods (Sage, Scott, Winston) and some low buck ones too (Cabelas, St. Croix Imperial, some no name fibreglass rod) and I've caught fish with all of them.

Buying a rod is kind of like fishing, the chase is nearly as much fun as the catch.

Jeff

fly fisherman DK
11-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Hey Jeff,
My Dad was wanting a 3 wt for the smokies, but doesn't want it to be to pricey. I like the idea to go and test cast a fly rod, but the only fly shop we have here in Memphis is the White River fly shop in Bass Pro Shop. I haven't seen the ross essence fly rod whenever I go there, and there really isn't anywhere their to cast a fly rod in the first place.:confused: Thank you for ya'lls suggestions though.

sincerely,

fly fisherman DK

92Esquire
11-17-2008, 06:11 AM
In my opinion, asking folks to give suggestions on choosing a fly rod is somewhat akin to asking for help choosing a spouse - no two people will necessarily choose the same rod as "best".

I'd always suggest trying the rod before you buy (maybe a trip to LRO with your dad that ends up with him buying a rod?) If I can't test-cast first, then mentally my criteria opens up again, and I recall what a guitar-playing friend told me long ago - "Buy used; play for free".

Buying a used rod may get your dad a "better" rod for the same money. A couple years ago I broke my Sage Fli on my first outing with it. I needed another rod, and decided I wanted a shorter 5wt for the Smokies. I ended up getting a used-but-like-new St. Croix Legend Ultra for $110. A year and a half later, after a lot of fishing, I sold the rod for $135. I got paid $25 to fish that rod! :)

Looking at what that Ross would cost you, there are plenty of great rods out there that would work for the same general amount of money - auction sites are loaded with mid-line Sage, Scott, Winston, St. Croix and Thomas and Thomas rods that would fit the bill, not break the bank, and give your dad a fantastic fishing tool that he can use for years to come.

On the other hand, the time that Ross rod will worth the most is the moment before it's paid for. With a used rod it may never decrease any further.