PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water Rod for my daughter

JohnH0802
11-17-2008, 01:35 PM
My 14-year old daughter wants me to teach her to fly-fish saltwater. She already fly-fishes for trout. I am looking for information on a rod for her, I think an 8 wt like I use might be a little on the tough side for her. She will be fishing for redfish in SC, and the one constant is the wind. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Anyone tried a Sage FLI 790?

Thanks,

John

TroutAssassin
11-18-2008, 06:51 PM
If an 8 weight is too big for her to cast constantly, a 6 weight 9ft rod with plenty of backing on the reel will be enough for redfish and trout. The wind will still pose a threat on bad days, but when you start going down from an 8 weight its something you just have to live with. TFO pro series in my opinion is your best bet.

D-Drake
11-19-2008, 12:52 PM
John,

One thing you might do no matter what rod you settle on is the slim down the cork grip. Heavier weight rods for saltwater generally come with larger, full wells style grips. These can be big for small hands which will make the rod feel more cumbersome and heavy.

Just take some fine grit sandpaper and gently sand down the grip, testing the size as you go. This might help with the rod search.

Daniel

JohnH0802
11-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks to both of you for the tips. I am in the process of looking at the TFO pro series and the grip tip was great.

John