PDA

View Full Version : Southeast Montana

kytroutman
11-22-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm hoping someone here can help me out with some information. I may be taking a new job in SE Montana (Rosebud Co.) and would appreciate any information that anyone can provide as to the communities, living conditions, weather, cost of living, etc. While I am familiar with the western portion of Montana (i.e. Dillon and the Gallatin areas), I know nothing of the southeast.

Kytroutbum
11-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Only having been there twice, to fish the BigHorn which you will be near, it looked like rolling plains with very small "cow" towns. Billings may be the nearest Large town comparable to Lexington but a lot smaller. A lot of the area is Native American Reservation. To the Southwest a few hours, you should have the BigHorns in Wyoming and Beartooths on the Wyo. Montana line (My favorite, better than Yellowstone!!, thousands of high mountain lakes full of Brookies(a trash fish there), Cutts and Bows and everybody dirves by going to the Park. If you move watch where you fish and hunt near the state line, Wyo. fish and Game look for Montana plates.

Randall Sale
Kytroutbum

Kytroutbum
11-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Just asked my wife her opinion. I had the son of high school friends who lived in Hardin, nearby, who "guided" my brother and I on the Bighorn, several years ago. My wife spent sometime with his family, mentioned some concerns about the schools, if you have children. They homeschooled. Towns are few and very far between. To quote my wife "there's nothing there". Large discount stores are only found in larger towns like Billings. Most folks buy several weeks worth of groceries and pack them in dry ice to get home. If my memory is correct, it took at least one hour to drive from Hardin to Billings in the interstate. We even worried about how our friends were doing with the price of gas this summer. The cost and amount of Gas their family went through was a major issue for them 3-4 years ago!! Then I found they had moved and I've lost contact. Winters are extremely cold and long (9-10 months)!There have been some minor animosities between Native Americans and Whites AT TIMES (?), if a reservation is near.
This is a hunting and fishing paradise, but I have been informed that there's a difference between camping out and fishing for a month and living and working there. Hope this helps.

kytroutman
11-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks Randall. I am actually making a trip out on 12/2 to check things out. The area I will be potentially working at is in the Forsyth area, which is right off I-94, about 1.5 hours east of Billings. According to the HR Director that first interviewed me, there is a Walmart and a few box stores close by and the area has actually been growing. My youngest finishes high school next Spring so school will not be an issue. The Yellowstone also flows through Forsyth so fishing is available, as well as an abundance of mule deer, antelope, turkeys and sage grouse from what I was told. I was also told about potential confrontations with the nearby Cheyenne reservation, but was also told these are limited and usually because the "visitors" often provoke the confrontations. Most of these incidents have occurred closer to Powder River and Custer counties. We'll see how the fact-finding trip works out.

UofMontanaAlum
11-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Winters are extremely cold and long (9-10 months)!

LOL! Little extreme, don't ya think? There are only 12 months in a year. Mid-November thru mid-April is a typical winter anywhere in MT. Not November thru August! LOL!

My wife grew up in Billings and I spent ample time in the area and surrounding communities (born and raised in Great Falls MT). If your accustomed to living in a big city, you're in for a shock. If your used to living in a small community, it won't be a big deal.

I'm assuming since you said Rosebud county, your looking at either Forsyth or Miles City. Both have schools, grocery stores, and a hospital.

Best advise would be to go check it out. I never move somewhere unless I have had time to look for a place to live, check out the community and spend time exploring.

kytroutman
11-23-2008, 01:30 PM
UofMontanaAlum, thanks. Yes, it is in the Forsyth area. My wife and I grew up in a rural area so small towns don't bother us. My question was directed towards the available housing and the cost of living more than the amenities of shopping malls, etc. I do know that they winters are usually colder and with more snow than we currently experience but I also know it only last about 4.5 to 5.5 months. The company is actually taking care of me for 3 days to give me a tour of the area, etc. as part of my decision-making process.

kytroutman
12-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Made it back from my trip to SE Montana. Needless to say, I was surprised with the difference between there and the areas west of Billings where I had visited before. Arrived Tuesday in Billings to the first REAL winter weather with snow and ice they had seen this year. By the end of the week, the temperatures and weather had gotten back to decent. Area was extremely nice and was able to visit Forsyth, Miles City, Colstrip and Lame Deer. Abundance of wildlife and upland game birds for hunting and within a short driving distance to the Yellowstone, Big Horn and even the lower Powder Basin. The real only disappointment was the lack of housing. Even with a very stable job market, no sales tax and low property taxes, there is not an abundance of available housing and most apartments have waiting lists. Wish I was a contractor, I would see some potentials there, even with a downturn in the economy.