PDA

View Full Version : St. Croix Question

Treecatcher2
11-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Has anyone tried the new St. Croix Imperial? If so what were your thoughts on it? I am also looking at the Avid. Looking for a 3wt for small streams

Thanks

ttas67
11-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Wow, I didn't know they came back out with the imperial. The original imperials were nice rods.

I've done a little research on these and they appear to be very lightweight. lets compare

These are all 9' 5wt 4pc rods:

st croix legend ultra: 3.6 oz
st croix avid: 3.6 oz
st croix imperial: 2.8 oz !!!!
winston BIIx: 2.75 oz

The imperial is much lighter than their higher priced rods. ????. they've also put snake guides on it instead of the single foot guides. If only they made a 9' 4wt ......

D-Drake
11-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Treecatcher,

I got to cast the new Imperial when our St Croix rep was here a few weeks ago. For the price they are really great rods. I guess the statement "for the price" puts them in a lower category that they don't really deserve. They don't have fancy wood inserts and nickle silver, but they cast great.
Like Trevor said, they are nice and lightweight. They are more of a medium/fast action.
We have a 7'6" 4wt and a 9' 9wt on order and should be delivered any day. The 8'6" 5wt and 9' 8wt are on the way in early Dec.

The new St. Croix Imperial definitely deserves looking at if you are considering a new rod.

Daniel

Treecatcher2
11-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks. I am thinking about a new rod but will have to wait until after the holiday. Santa thinks I need clothes but I know I need a new rod and reel for small streams