PDA

View Full Version : Great to have a support group of people who understand my addiction

dogfish
11-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Whats up everyone, I am David. I am a 23 year old fishing bum who somehow swindled his way into Vet school this year at the University of Tennessee. I am from Nashville, born and raised, and have been fishing in this great state with my grandfather since I can could walk. Over the past two summers I have been blessed with the opportunity to guide in Alaska and Colorado, amazing places where I learned much about the sport that is so hard to master. I look forward to meeting everyone who understands how truly amazing the water and land around us can be.

Paula Begley
11-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Hello, David. My name is Paula. I'm addicted to fly fishing. :smile:

Welcome to the board.

Paula

flyred06
11-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Hello David,

I to am an addict. Welcome to the board and our support group. The first step to recovery should start in a smoky mountain stream or LRO. The support found here will be other fellow addicts sharing you addiction. :eek: Now what can be wrong with that.

Welcome.

Byron Begley
11-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Hello David,

Welcome to the board. I have a fly fishing problem too. The first step it admitting it. We will support you in any way we can but don't count on a cure from us. :biggrin:

Byron

jeffnles1
11-24-2008, 08:34 PM
David,
Welcome to the board. My name is Jeff. I'm a self confessed workaholic and fishing adict. I hope in about 3-5 years to be a retired workaholic and full time fishing bum.

Jeff

Carolina Boy
11-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Hey David, Welcome. I live up in the Mts. of NC, In grad school, congrats on the Vet School thing, but take it from me school will try and keep ya off the water! Fight it! Where in Colorado did you work? Going to Vail next June to fish.

buckeyetrouter
11-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Hi David.......

I too am a self prolcaimed addict. I have enrolled in the LRO twelve step program consisting of fly tying classes, more tying classes, a third tying class, better equipment than I should ever need, and fishing counceling with Dr. Walter Babb. I am shamelessly looking for the other seven steps to this rehab before I flunk out.....on second thought I think I will dump the rehab and get a fishing fix this weekend (they dumped 1500 rainbows in our local upland reservior)......

you are on your own pal, I'm fix'n to fish......sorry

bob

EarlOfSoDak
11-28-2008, 07:44 PM
David-
Sounds like you're going to be pretty busy at UT. My wife is finishing up her undergrad, hoping to get in there at the vet school in the near future. Amazing achievement to get into vet school. Many people don't realize it's harder than med school to get accepted. My wife and I moved down from South Dakota over a year ago so she could go to school. Anyways, I live in Knoxville and work close to downtown. I also go to UT part time for social work. I also fish- not as much as I used to or would like to, but that's life. If you want to fish in the near future, send me an e-mail. Go fishing before your fourth year, as you probably know, that one's a killer.

jamie_ahern@yahoo.com or jahern@utk.edu or
605-391-3676

flyguys
11-28-2008, 08:05 PM
I agree with buckeyetrouter. Rehab is for quiters! Lets all go fishing!:biggrin:

dogfish
11-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Earl, I would love to hit the water with you sometime. I wish I could say that I have sometime in 2008 to get out but I am going to be swamped with finals until about the 12th and then am planning a road trip down to arkansas with some fellow bums to wet a line in the little red and the white. Once the new year hits though lets plan something. my cell is 615-347-0142, and you can find me in a corner of the vet school library at pretty much any time during the week.

David Knapp
11-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Welcome to the board! So where in CO did you guide? I've been out there for at least a week the last three years now and never get tired of it...lots of great fishing and nice scenery as well... Three summers ago I worked in the Gunnison area for a couple of months doing trail maintenance for the USFS. Definitely one of my favorite parts of the country...

dogfish
12-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Worked on a seven mile tailwater called the Goose Creek which is below the Humphrey's Lake. It is a guest ranch called 4UR ranch. Also did a little guiding on the rio which the goose flowed into and and some gorgeou alpine lakes around the area. Awesome state though- had a trip planned to the gunnie but my summer out there came to a quick close when i got into vetschool off the waitlist. maybe next summer.