PDA

View Full Version : opinion on new book

flyguys
11-24-2008, 09:28 PM
:biggrin: When on our trip, my son and I stopped in LRO. I purchased a book entitled "THE FLY FISHERMANS GUIDE TO THE GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK" by H. Lea Lawrence. This book is loaded with information on a variety of rivers and stream locations in the Park. The book also rates the locations as excellent, good, fair, etc. Is the info inthis book right on track? or should I expand my reading on the Park and its fishing locations? any info would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on reading material for fishing the Park, I sure would like to hear your input. Thanks alot for the info! flyguys.

Paula Begley
11-24-2008, 09:35 PM
The Lawrence book is older, but it contains decent information. There really aren't any comprehensive books on fishing the park, in my opinion. There is one that is a decent little picture book and there are two that have older information, but good information about locations etc.

The best and most up to date information that is to be had on streams in the Park can be found on this and other fishing message boards.

Your mileage may vary.

Paula

flyguys
11-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks Paula for the info! The info gatherede on this sight certainly did come in handy on our trip this past October. Thanks again!

Vern
11-24-2008, 09:50 PM
I second Paula remarks, I have all the books that I could find on GSMNP fishing. All have older but good info. But if we could condense the message board into book form it would be a best seller. Some of the regulars on the board have a wealth of info, and a willing to share it. You may not always get exact locations, but that is part of the lure of fishing, to seek out new water with just enough info to get you started.

tngreg
11-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Two great books that are well known are:

1) Don Kirk's "Fly-Fishing Guide to the Great Smoky Mountains"
2) Ian Rutter's "Great Smoky Mountains National Park Angler's Companion"

Take the info from these books as a basic foundation to getting started to fishing the park and go from there with up to date info from the outstanding members on this board.

Both of these are well respected volumes on fishing in the park.
Of course check here often as Byron's fishing reports are awesome.

Enjoy!

flyguys
11-24-2008, 10:06 PM
It was not intended as a slight not to mention Byrons fishing reports on this web site. I check them just about every day even though I won't be fishing out there for some time to come. THIS WEB FORUM ROCKS!!

ijsouth
11-24-2008, 11:36 PM
I'll recommend a book that, while it was written for the fishing in another national park, describes tactics that can be applied in the Smokies just as well: "Trout Fishing in the Shenandoah National Park", by Harry Murray. At times, Murray makes trout fishing seem as complicated as quantum mechanics, but nevertheless he does give some very good pointers , particularly in how to read a stream. As far as specific locations - for the most part, none of the streams are secrets - different people have their preferences for particular streams, and a lot depends on the time of year and, sometimes, the species desired. If you can read a stream, you'll do fine no matter where you fish.

jeffnles1
11-25-2008, 03:38 PM
I've read most of the books mentioned so far in this thread. They helped me get a good start and a general overview of what I was in for fishing the streams in the park. Even though some of the info was older (i.e. listing a lot of brookie streams as being closed), some of it is good general stuff to know.

However, I quickly learned the fishing reports here and the information on this board are very accurate and come from people like me who are fishing now. Also, a quick stop into LRO for the info of the day when I'm in town is a good thing too.

I only get to the mountains 3-4 times a year and keeping up with the fishing reports and the message boards helps me to spot trends as they develop. Also, it keeps me feeling in touch with the mountains I so very much love.

Jeff

lauxier
11-27-2008, 05:36 PM
I have read all the books mentioned--the Kirk book is better than the Lawrence book,although the Lawrence book has some nice dated photos of fly fisherman and the park,neither book is readable,so to speak,they tell no story.It seems to me that both books fall under the brochure catagory,they will show you the whereabouts of streams,and maybe how to get there.The fishing reports of each stream are as they have to be,general at best.I would not classify these books as companions to SMNP fishing.....(the following statement is in no way downing my wife in any way,shape,fashion,or form)I think....say.... the governer of Alaska would be a proper SMNP fly fishing companion(I am 58) or my Doberman ,Jack,is a top companion but Kirk and Lawrence???...NaaaaH...
Harry Middelton's "Spine" is vast,complex menagerie of thoughts and stories from a more than gifted writer,and amore than tainted man.It should be read by anyone who wants to fish the park,because it is the only book,I have found,that puts into words,how we have all felt ,once we are away from it all,in a stream,casting,catching a fish or two..etc.

Dukee
11-28-2008, 12:20 AM
Jim Casada has a new book on SMNP fishing, It is coming out in the spring as I understand.

pineman19
11-28-2008, 07:57 AM
In your reference to Jim Casada's new book you can go to his website and be put on a list to receive an email when the book is available. You can Google Jim Casada and find the link. I would post it, but the last time I posted a link, the thread was deleted, so I am not going that route again.

Casada's book is supposed to a comprehensive guide on the Park, but will also contain a lot of history on the Park as well. Casada is a retired history professor, so I am sure it will be well researched and a good read.

As far as the books that are currently available on the Park, I would recommend Don Kirk's book and Ian Rutter's book. They have helped me a great deal over the last ten years in exploring the area. A National Geographic topo map along with these books will be a great resource while looking for new waters in the Park. While I have no problem with using message boards to garner information, I have preferred to use books and maps to find new waters. To me, that's the exciting part of flyfishing mountain streams. I am a forester by trade, so I enjoy reading maps and related books to explore the landscape, so it's not all just about the fishing for me. I have never been one to request specific info on streams that I haven't fished on message boards. General ones yes, but I enjoy figuring some things out on my own and will continue to do so as I continue to explore the Appalachian Mountains. Sorry for the long-winded post, hopefully this one survives.

Neal

Ky Tim
11-28-2008, 09:27 AM
If any of you get the magazine "Tennessee Valley Outdoors" Casada is running abbreviated versions of various chapters each month. Some pretty good stuff and he is a very good historian as well as a quality writer.

Ky Tim
12-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Just got the new TVO December issue today and this month's work from Casada is about Panther Creek. Pretty straight forward but one thing threw me off. I have thought that Panther Creek ran through the Cades Cove picnic area but he never mentions that. If not, can someone with more knowledge tell the name of the little stream that runs through the picnic area and empties into Arbams Creek/

Hugh Hartsell
12-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Hi,Tim,
The creek that you see running through the picnic area is Anthony Creek and Panther Creek runs into the back waters of Chilhowee Lake. Panther Creek is a very hard stream to access if you are trying to walk to it. On the other hand, Anthony Creek just above the picnic area has a good trail along side it and seems to be rarely fished even though it is very close to parking or hiking areas. It is much larger above where it goes partially underground and has a lot of fish. Try it sometime.
Hugh

sammcdonald
12-01-2008, 09:26 PM
the "other" panther creek runs from middle prong over to jakes creek trail/ many crossings...and ya gonna get wet