PDA

View Full Version : LR in Townsend

buster55
11-25-2008, 09:57 PM
I am going to Townsend and will staying in a cabin off Old Walland Road (near a one lane bridge across the river before entering Townsend). How is the fishing in that area this time of year? I'll be asking the good folks at LRO, but thought I would post this before I leave tomorrow morning. Thanks in advance for any advice

Alan

buster55
11-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Just saw the post from a couple of weeks back about the Catholic Church. Should have read before I asked, but any additional info is more than welcome.

Thanks
Alan

nvr2L8
11-26-2008, 07:26 AM
Sorry, Alan. Don't usually fish that section of LR. The post you are referring to is one of the few that I have seen on the topic of fishing LR in Townsend. One thing you may want to check into, though, while you're here is the fishing on Abrams Creek in Cades Cove. It is spring fed and reportedly warmer in the winter than most streams in the park.

Hope you have a great visit with us. BTW, that bridge is known as Wilson's bridge. It has ads painted on both sides for Wilson's Restaurant (now the Back Porch Restaurant across the street). The signs were on there when I was a kid in the late 50's - don't know when they were actually painted. The one leaving Townsend used to say something like "Whoa! You just passed Wilson's Restaurant" or something to that effect and the one on the other side pointed travelers to the restaurant coming up on the right. Just a little piece of useless trivia on Wednesday morning.:rolleyes:

buster55
12-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the reply and the trivia. I fished a little in the park, nothing serious, and the fish were not serious about it either. I love the old sign on the the bridge over the LR. It says something like "Hey you just missed ...." The rest is faded but it sure speaks to a different time and place.

We had a great cabin on the ridge overlooking that part of the valley (I could see the Apple Valley place from about 400 feet above the valley. More importantly, I could see the mountains from the south end of the park to Clingman's Dome, or at least it looked like Clingman's to me.

Great trip all in all and I want to live in Byron's cove.

Thanks again
Alan