PDA

View Full Version : Byron the Grinch!

jeffnles1
11-29-2008, 01:17 PM
In today's fishing Byron stated:
But don’t worry. All the trout in the mountains are not just going to become stupid one day due to some genetic abnormality. No matter how hard we try there will not be a “Killer” fly invented that the fish will attack every time they see one and abandon all fear of humans and other predators

Up until I read this, my list for Santa consisted of:
1) move the Smokies closer to Cincinnati so I can fish after work every evening.
2) that every trout in the Smokies become stupid when I'm fishing and
3) I would find the fly pattern that said stupid trout would attack with reckless abandon.

My loving wife informed me Mountains are not going to move, and now Byron informed me that the trout are not going to get stupid and there is no magic fly.

Next, someone's going to tell me Rudolph really does not have a red nose.

What's this world coming to? :smile:

Jeff

Paula Begley
11-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Jeff,

Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Jeff, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge. Yes, Jeff, Rudolph's nose is red. It is red as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if Rudolph's nose wasn't red!

Paula :biggrin:

jeffnles1
11-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Paula, thanks for the confirmation.

And, yes, Paula, there is a Santa Clause too:smile:

Jeff

Paula Begley
11-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Of course there is!

Thank God! he lives and lives forever. A thousand years from now, Jeff, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood. Who knows, perhaps some day he will make stupid the mind of the smoky mountain trout? We can but dream.

Paula ;)

Byron Begley
11-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Hi Jeff,

I could be wrong. I frequently am. (I learned to say this in the Dale Carnegie class. You wouldn't believe the milage I've gotten out of this one for the past 36 years). Who knows, no man has a monoply on knowledge. (Got that from DC too.)

Jeff I think you need to move to Townsend. You can do your job from here, feel better about yourself and heck, you can setup your office in the same room with me. The rent would be right and you would be 5 minutes from the Middle Prong. Your counterpart is doing his job from his office in Patagonia. And, if I needed any high level internet advice we could go fishing and discuss it. I'll call your CEO right now.

Byron

Gerry Romer
11-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Uh, Byron...

While you're fulfilling Christmas Whishes.....

jeffnles1
11-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Hi Jeff,

I could be wrong. I frequently am. (I learned to say this in the Dale Carnegie class. You wouldn't believe the milage I've gotten out of this one for the past 36 years). Who knows, no man has a monoply on knowledge. (Got that from DC too.)

Jeff I think you need to move to Townsend. You can do your job from here, feel better about yourself and heck, you can setup your office in the same room with me. The rent would be right and you would be 5 minutes from the Middle Prong. Your counterpart is doing his job from his office in Patagonia. And, if I needed any high level internet advice we could go fishing and discuss it. I'll call your CEO right now.

Byron

Byron,
You have no idea how tempting that is.

I hope to retire in 4 or 5 years or sooner if I'm offered the right package. My dream is to live close enough to trout streams that I can fish anytime the notion hits me. My loving wife wants to live on a lake so we have to find a lake house close to mountains.

About 80% of my job could be done from Townsend and I do work from home a couple days a week. It's that 20% that would make for somewhat of an expensive weekly commute.

Jeff

Treecatcher2
11-29-2008, 05:38 PM
just remember to let Santa know that you've moved to the mountains, and leave a few carrots out for Rudolph and the gang.

sammcdonald
11-29-2008, 06:41 PM
http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/sammcdonald3
http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/sammcdonald3/20081105_7.jpg

Paula Begley
11-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Sam,

Nothing like photographic evidence for "little minds." :D:);)

Paula

nvr2L8
11-30-2008, 12:01 AM
If I didn't know better, I would swear that someone in this thread was inspired by "a queen of England or ....... an invasive species of tree". Waxing eloquent!:rolleyes:

Grumpy
11-30-2008, 08:14 AM
If I didn't know better, I would swear that someone in this thread was inspired by "a queen of England or ....... an invasive species of tree". Waxing eloquent!:rolleyes:

shoot, i was wondering what the Grinch(Byron) did to get Paula all woundup bout us men folk:confused:

Grumpy

Paula Begley
11-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Sheesh...all I did was google the words to the original editorial that answered the question for Virginia, "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus." :biggrin:

Paula

*Jeff "got" it. ;)
and neither Bloody Mary's nor Mimosa's had anything to do with it. :P

nvr2L8
11-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Grumpy,

Looks like me you is just ignorant of such fine literary allusions. Guess we'll just have to stick to fishing. Props to Jeff for picking up on it.

Paula Begley
11-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Grumpy,

Looks like me you is just ignorant of such fine literary allusions. Guess we'll just have to stick to fishing. Props to Jeff for picking up on it.

HAHA! Please don't feel badly. Often, people don't "get" me. :redface:

My brain works in strange and mysterious ways. ;)

Paula

eta: If you're interested, here's the original editorial and the story (http://beebo.org/smackerels/yes-virginia.html) behind how it happened. I've always been fascinated by the response of Francis Church.

Brian Griffing
11-30-2008, 11:36 AM
http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/sammcdonald3
http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/sammcdonald3/20081105_7.jpg

Wow!!!!! If that's what Rudolph looks like, there will be some extra carrots on my lawn this Christmas Eve, and I'll be behind the Christmas tree with a Muzzy broadhead ready to fly! I hope its a clear night for Santa's sake because he ain't making it outta Maryville with all the deer he came in with. Looks like Rudolph backstraps for Christmas dinner. Thanks for the heads up, Sam!

jeffnles1
11-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Sam,
Thanks for the confirmation on Rudolph.

Brian, I'm sure Rudolph is tough as shoe leather. Those backstraps would be like eating bark.

Paula, see if you can talk to Byron about those smart trout. We need to dumb them down a little.

Jeff