PDA

View Full Version : kayaking to Hazel

PoorlyTiedFly
12-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Hey guys, I am planning an early spring trip across Fontana to Hazel and wondered where the best spot to launch is? I have crossed Fontana to Eagle creek and launched from the marina - is there somewhere closer to set off to Hazel?

Paula Begley
12-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Cable Cove boat ramp is directly across the lake from where Hazel Creek comes into the lake. It's a straight shot across the channel and then about a 30 minute paddle up to the trail head. It's one of the most beautiful places in the park. Have fun!

Paula

flyman
12-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Nice little forest service campground (Cable Cove) about 1/2 mile from the boat ramp if you want to spend the night and get an early start.

duckypaddler
12-17-2008, 01:13 PM
In Ian's guide book it said it was safe. Does anyone regularlly do this. Is there a dock, or do you just pull up bank. I thought about taking kayaks, canoe (with trolling motor), or maybe a John boat. Just worried about hiking back to no boat and no way to get home!

Thanks for any help you could give,
James Locke

old tom
12-17-2008, 01:59 PM
There is no dock at Hazel. There's an old road bed that just kinda ends in the lake. I've seen everything from bass boats tied up in the cove above the road to canoes and kayaks sitting on the bank. And I've never heard of any problems. That said, if I was using a small motor to get across, I'd take it off and stash it up in the woods.

Paula Begley
12-17-2008, 02:16 PM
We just chained/locked out canoes up to some trees. It's perfectly safe.

Paula

Kevin_Thomas
12-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Never heard of problems with boats, but keep your push cart with you if you are camping. I think folks think the park provides them and they just take them to their campsites until finished. That can be frustrating...

Drifter
12-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Interesting anecdote...............

Several years ago I was driving Hwy 28 north toward Bryson City. I saw a sign that pointed left that read "Cable Cove Bait Shop" (or grocery....can't remember). Anyhow I decide to stop in. I met an elderly gentleman whose last name was "Cable". I explained to him that I had been camping and fishing on Hazel Creek for a few days and used the Fontana Marina ferry to get back and forth. He explained that he grew up on Hazel Creek and still has family buried over there. I could have stayed all afternoon listening to his stories.

Anyhow....I suggested he ought to explore the possibility of offering a boat shuttle over to Forney Creek since he was so close. He didn't quite understand what I was suggesting and replied, "You can use my boat if you like". I explained that I wanted to stay over there for a few nights and I would not feel comfortable leaving his boat tied up at the lakeshore. I commented that someone might steal it.

He looked at me real strange and said: "Shooooot. Nobody is gonna steal the boat.....we haven't had a democrat come through here in years!" :biggrin:

Back to the thread.....I've never had any problems leaving my boat at the lakeshore.