PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Books on Small Flies

David Knapp
12-09-2008, 11:10 PM
I recently got a gift card to a book store and was wondering if anyone has any books they really like on small stuff, midges, blackflies, etc... I know of the book "Midge Magic" and am thinking about ordering that one. Any others that anyone would like to recommend?

flyman
12-09-2008, 11:29 PM
Midge Magic is a classic but I think Ed Engle's "Tying Small Flies" is much better. More patterns and more info on hooks, materials, and small fly tactics. I think Ed Engle is as good as they come at tying and fishing these types of flies.

Gerry Romer
12-10-2008, 12:31 AM
As you might guess, I've got both Midge Magic and Tying Small Flies and they're both really, really nice! Each has it's pluses.

As Flyman says, Engle's take on material, hooks and tactics is great and there's a ton of useful info in the text. The close up photography is quite good and very helpful in how it presents the tying techniques.

Of the two, I prefer the color photo studies in Midge Magic. It's also a treasure trove of valuable info. But if you want to know what really happens to a particular shade of thread or floss when it's submerged, and how closely that will then match the live subject you're trying to match... you can't beat midge magic!

I'm also quite partial to Ted Fauceglia's Mayflies. Aside from the stunning photography, the life cycle info is quite in depth and the author supplies photos of the handmade imitations of each of the stages of each of the respective mayfly's life cycle. So you get amazing photography, in depth entomology and accurate imitations, all in one "coffee table" presentation.

Having said all that (and knowing you as I do), if I were buying you a book and not a gift card, I'd get you Midge Magic.

ttas67
12-10-2008, 02:16 AM
I pulled "tying small flies" off the shelf at the bookstore to take a quick look through it and ended up sitting on the floor for over 30 minutes, engrossed in it. I went through almost every pattern in there. If I had the money to blow at the time, I would have bought it. It's an excellent book. I plan on buying that and "fishing small flies" sometime in the near future.

David Knapp
12-11-2008, 12:06 AM
Keep 'em coming guys! Thanks for the recommendations so far...looks like I need to check out "Tying Small Flies" as well...

seagull
12-11-2008, 05:56 PM
I recommend "Micropatterns" by Darrell Martin

David Knapp
12-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks seagull! I'll look into that one as well...