PDA

View Full Version : January fishing

SWAMPUS
12-12-2008, 08:30 PM
As i sit at this dock in st.louis load barges to take to chicago[brrrrrr],i'm doing my fav downtime thing-reading these posts.lordy-lordy the info you can glean!anyway,when i get off in jan. I'm going to my place in wnc.want to fish nantahala and try the trophy sect ocono.never fished in winter before!nov the latest.1 st-any secrets to keep ice out of guides?2 nd-fly selection.3 rd-should i just sit by the fire +keep warm til spring?

kytroutman
12-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Fishing is slow but is possible in January. Also look at some of the other streams stocked by NC Fish and Wildlife. Nymphs and san juan worms will work, and if we have one of the freaky Januarys with a 60 degree day, you may see a few flies come off. Normally, I just tap the rod to keep the water and ice from the guides. A 4 wt or 5 wt should be fine, depending on where you go. One thing about fishing in the cold, the competition for space is dramatically reduced.

SWAMPUS
12-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Got a fav 5wt.loooks like i'll have to tie up some worms and go dredging and pray for a jan. Thaw.you must be as nuts as me.no mention of staying by the fire.you ever get the id theft straight?

kytroutman
12-13-2008, 10:07 AM
I'll fish anytime there is open water. I figure that's the reason they make capilene to keep us warm. Nothing wrong with my moniker, it was kytroutbum on the other post.

SWAMPUS
12-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Sorry,my mistake.senior moment.i too have been known to fish unlikely spots.they dug a drainage pond across street and the next year i was testing flotation on deerhair poppers and cought bream.ah,florida.dig a hole,wait a year,fish it.

Brian Griffing
12-13-2008, 11:39 AM
swampusialwaysloveReadingyourposts.ifeellikeiamdoi ngsomesortofpuzzle.sundaymorningkickbackwithacupof CoffeeandaSwampuspost,goodtimes,goodtimes.

I'm just feeling a little squirrely this morning and giving you a hard time. Please don't take offense, I just thought this was kinda funny and couldn't resist.

SWAMPUS
12-13-2008, 12:37 PM
I am trying to type correctly.forget the capslock.Screws everything up when it comes out .Am trying now,very diligently,to type the way Miss Byers taught me.Looks good so far,but seems to come out like prev.post.I am also glad I can bring a little amusement into someone's life.Bye-the-bye....in your avatar the slopes of the mts. behind you appear as wings,which would go with the derivation of your name-GRIFFIN.I shall keep a sharp eye out on the streams as you may swoop down and snatch my catch.(:>).I am going to attempt creating an avatar when I get off this towboat in Jan.if I can find a sufficiently gruesome pic of a SWAMPUS.

Tarheelflyfishing
12-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Here in NC/TN Winters aren't really very harsh. Average snowfall for Asheville annually is 15.6 inches. Out in Montana and Wyoming, 15 inches usually falls with one storm. Temperature for January are not that bad either. Below is a temp map from the NC State Climate Office. Fly fishing in January can sometimes mean 55 degree days (mostly in the valleys), but warm enough for the trout...http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/images/normals/meantemp/jan_mean_c.gif

http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com

SWAMPUS
12-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Tarheel-Thanks for the great graffic.I have a place in Swain Co. and it'll come in handy.

The Principal
12-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Chapstick helps keep your guides from freezing. Just put some on your
fingers and rub it on the guides. I was shown this oneday fishing the
Noontoola in North Geargia at about 15degrees.

kytroutman
12-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Chapstick will work but make sure it is the non-petroleum based. Petroleum can damage/weaken fly line. Corn oil will also work but has to be re-applied.

Bran
12-15-2008, 10:53 AM
So something like the Burt's Bees wax balm? I would think all the other commercial chapsticks would be petroleum based.

kytroutman
12-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Yes Bran, that will work as well as some of the soy based.

SWAMPUS
12-15-2008, 12:03 PM
LLord,the information.So.Dredge deep w/nymphs.Pray for Jan.thaw.Carry a small beeswax candle to treat guides and use to light a fire if I fall in.Thanks ya'll for all the tips.I'll add one more.Carry a flask full of re-juvenatin' liquid.