PDA

View Full Version : Clinch river 12/14/08

jzimmerman
12-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Mike and I decided to float the Clinch yesterday I sure am glad we did. We had the best streamer action that I have ever seen on the river. As far as the normal dry and dropper combo that we normally fish go's the fishing was below average. We were even catching risers on streamers. It was a lot of fun but my arms are killing me today. I guess thats not such a bad problem to have though... :biggrin:

ChemEAngler
12-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Mike and I decided to float the Clinch yesterday I sure am glad we did. We had the best streamer action that I have ever seen on the river. As far as the normal dry and dropper combo that we normally fish go's the fishing was below average. We were even catching risers on streamers. It was a lot of fun but my arms are killing me today. I guess thats not such a bad problem to have though... :biggrin:

JZ,
Were you the guys in the canoe who drifted down as I was getting out? You offered to paddle behind me, but I was heading upstream anyway.

I had a pretty good day, all of my fish were in the slot and most came on a #20 bhpt or zebra midge fished on bottom in the slow deep stuff. I too had some luck casting to midging trout and shallow drifting a zebra midge. Quite an interesting day yesterday. Did you see the duck hunters? They drifted past me waving their guns all over the place, I was getting quite nervous. I also had an old man drift past me as I was landing and releasing a 15-16" bow and he asked why I did that. I told him 1.) I don't like to keep trout, and 2.) it was in the slot. He replied with, "Oh yeah, that slot thing. I always forget about that." Kind of makes you wonder......

Travis

Wilson10
12-15-2008, 03:06 PM
JZ,
"Oh yeah, that slot thing. I always forget about that." Kind of makes you wonder......

Travis

Yeah, makes me wonder... BUT I'm not surprised at all. Not even a little bit

I actually got a laugh out of reading that...

jzimmerman
12-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Yeah that was us in the canoe. We also saw the guys duck hunting, I must admit that I would also be duck hunting if it weren't for super high out of state fees, but this is my last week up here anyways so I was trying to get a last trout fishing trip in before I had to go. Denso just informed me that they were cutting my coop position after telling me that I was one of the best ones that they have had in the past 15 years,:confused: so I will not be back next summer which sucks big time. I'll try to come back for a week and stay with some friends to get a week in this summer if I can afford it... It'll be hard to find a job as a computer engineer in Starkville MS that pays anything like what I was making a Denso. Anything around there takes advantage of the whole college kids will work for about anything attitude, which I guess is true if you can't find anything else.

ChemEAngler
12-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Yeah that was us in the canoe. We also saw the guys duck hunting, I must admit that I would also be duck hunting if it weren't for super high out of state fees, but this is my last week up here anyways so I was trying to get a last trout fishing trip in before I had to go. Denso just informed me that they were cutting my coop position after telling me that I was one of the best ones that they have had in the past 15 years,:confused: so I will not be back next summer which sucks big time. I'll try to come back for a week and stay with some friends to get a week in this summer if I can afford it... It'll be hard to find a job as a computer engineer in Starkville MS that pays anything like what I was making a Denso. Anything around there takes advantage of the whole college kids will work for about anything attitude, which I guess is true if you can't find anything else.

Sorry to hear about your job. Originally I didn't know anybody who lost their job, but now that list is growing at an alarming rate....

Having once traveled to Starkvegas, I imagine that the quality jobs are few. Could you get on with the University doing something until things turn around? Good luck to you on your job hunt.

Travis

jzimmerman
12-15-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm looking to find something in the ITS department over there so maybe something will turn out. On the bright side I'll be closer to home and friends and family land so hunting and fishing will be free. I got three semesters of school left so hopefully the job market will be recovering by the time I am getting out.

I do want to say thank you to all of the people on this board that have helped me along the way of my fly fishing adventures here in east Tennessee. It has been one **** of a summer/fall that I will never forget. I have managed to cover all of the streams on the TN side of the national park and the Clinch, Caney Fork, and South Holston rivers. I especially want to thank the people at Little River Outfitters yall have made a life time customer. So be expecting on big orders from Mississippi. I guess I'll have to learn how to tie poppers for our monster bluegills when I get back.

Flat Fly n
12-16-2008, 04:54 PM
I went Sunday afternoon as well. I was below Peach Orchard. I caught nearly 25 fish, but no brook trout? Normally in that area in the summer there were alot of brookies. Did you guys catch the normal ratio of brooks to bows, with a few browns thrown in?

"Oh yeah, that slot thing" IS working now that it is closing in on one year!

ChemEAngler
12-16-2008, 06:09 PM
I went Sunday afternoon as well. I was below Peach Orchard. I caught nearly 25 fish, but no brook trout? Normally in that area in the summer there were alot of brookies. Did you guys catch the normal ratio of brooks to bows, with a few browns thrown in?

"Oh yeah, that slot thing" IS working now that it is closing in on one year!

Flat,
I didn't catch any brookies the other day, but I don't typically catch very many where I was at. Maybe 1 per trip. All rainbows this past week for me.

I agree about the slot limit. The quality of fish on the Clinch does appear to be improving. I am looking forward to this May when the sulfurs start hatching again. That could be some exciting fishing.

Travis

jzimmerman
12-17-2008, 12:05 PM
We ended up catching around 8 or so most of which came on streamers. I did manage to catch couple on a dry.

MadisonBoats
12-17-2008, 02:13 PM
All,
Be sure and check the release schedules if you plan on hitting any of the TVA Rivers this week. With all the rain; I expect them to be generating quite a bit.

www.tva.gov

Just wanted to save someone from making a wasted trip.

ChemEAngler
12-17-2008, 03:29 PM
MB,
Good suggestion, and thanks for bringing it up. I have heard rumors that they are planning to run 2 generators until Christmas. Cheap power for TVA, might as well take advantage of it.

Travis

jzimmerman
12-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Yeah there little power outage a week ago cost us over 17k here at the plant in scrap parts.

Flat Fly n
12-18-2008, 12:30 AM
TVA only cares about getting the a particular lake at a set level on a set date. This much rain has raised the level above the 975-985 range, so they generate. They get the lake to the 985 level, back off the generators. Simple

ChemEAngler
12-18-2008, 10:01 AM
TVA only cares about getting the a particular lake at a set level on a set date. This much rain has raised the level above the 975-985 range, so they generate. They get the lake to the 985 level, back off the generators. Simple

Today the elevation is just over 1000' and rising due to the high amount of inflow. However, we are expecting more rain this weekend, so that will once again increase the inflow. I think we are looking at quite a significant period of full generation to get us down to the 985' elevation.

My statement "... running 2 generator until Christmas", was based on some statements I had heard from other fisherman. I did not know the actual level that TVA has as a target, thanks for providing that. TVA coal power is one of my company's biggest customers, and they told us earlier this week that they expect to cut back on coal power due to the increase in rainfall. They are going to try and squeeze as much hydro-power as possible to offset the increase in coal purchases that they had to make over the summer due to the drought not allowing for hydro production.

My question is, how does this increase in flow affect all those recently deposited eggs? Thankfully there was a long period of low flow to allow for spawning, but now it is flowing wide open.

Travis

Grannyknot
12-18-2008, 10:12 AM
I have heard that the natural reproduction rate of trout on the clinch is very low due to the surges of water. Is this true?

ChemEAngler
12-18-2008, 10:39 AM
I have heard that the natural reproduction rate of trout on the clinch is very low due to the surges of water. Is this true?

Grannyknot,
I had always heard this as well, but I also heard that browns don't spawn on the Clinch either. However, I have personally seen them doing so the past 2 years. IMO, the eggs could probably survive short periods 1 to 2 hr/day of high flow. They do it all the time on the SoHo. However, high flow for 24 hrs a day, that is what has me concerned. I caught some small bows and browns (3" - 5") on the clinch in the spring that were just as colorful as any I caught in the mountains. Were those stream born or hatchery fish, I don't know.....

Travis

MadisonBoats
12-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Guys,
The Clinch is way up and it is scheduled to be that way for the next few days. I would not be surprised to see it run full generation through Christmas considering the rain and snow pack melt from the mountains.

This reminds me of the days when the release schedules were intermittent and extremely heavy. I can remember several fly fishermen drowning on the Clinch back in the day due to this. Then they started the horn/siren system.

Fortunately, this has improved significantly since that time.
CSM

Grannyknot
12-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Guys,

This reminds me of the days when the release schedules were intermittent and extremely heavy. I can remember several fly fishermen drowning on the Clinch back in the day due to this. Then they started the horn/siren system.

CSM

I can remember a time when the Norris resque squad would take their zodiac boat out to Miller's Island several times a week to rescue stranded fishermen.

Flat Fly n
12-18-2008, 03:14 PM
I have always heard there is no natural reproduction on the Clinch per se. However some folks in the past have arqued to the opposite. Maybe there are some feeder streams in times of good rainfall that will support spawning fish, and hopefully fry development, but I'm not the guy to ask on this. There are folks older than me on this board that know more about this than me. I still don't know why the S. Holston can and the Clinch can't. Just because there are redds doesn't mean there is successful spawning.

We all have seen bows up on a particular creek on the Clinch trying to spawn when there is significant rainfall to fill that stream. TU actually one time with the team lead by David Buaxbaum tried to take those fish and successfully raise fry from those fish years ago.

Maybe it's time for some of us to get busy on a new project now that we have TWRA paying some attention to the Clinch. I would be willing to help on such a project if we could pull it off. I have some access to the river on one of those feeder creeks if we could pull this off.

GrouseMan77
12-18-2008, 04:35 PM
I have been told that those rainbows that were trying to spawn were removed by TWRA and placed in another tailwater.

I guess it is just as well because it was also rumored that folks were netting the fish at night.

jzimmerman
12-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Mike caught a good rainbow up one of the feeder creeks last time we were out. I thought he was crazy for fishing it. Guess I still have a lot to learn.:rolleyes:

Flat Fly n
12-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Poachers on the Clinch..........well I'll be!

elkhaircaddis
12-18-2008, 11:06 PM
the trout that twra stocks are triploid (sterile). the fish will still run upstream and lay eggs, but they dont survive. Maybe a few brood stock got into the mix somehow, but it would be a very small percentage

Flat Fly n
12-19-2008, 12:17 AM
Now that's some fine surgery there............

Will have to look that up, but if you care to enlighten us dumbloids on triploids, please do.

ChemEAngler
12-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Triploid trout, steelhead, and salmon, are genetically altered fish. Because they are sterile they do not reproduce but rather, the energy which would have been focused in these fish toward reproduction, goes directly into body growth. Over time these fish become huge. Presently the record trout in the State of Washington is a triploid coming in at 23 pounds. The triploid is quickly catching on as a popular sport fish and where these fish are being planted are drawing huge opening day crowds which emulate times past.

The above excerpt was taken from the following website:
http://www.eou.edu/~mmustoe/Fishing.html (http://www.eou.edu/%7Emmustoe/Fishing.html)

It seems like now that they have a slot limit on the clinch, that use of non-triploid trout should be reviewed. At least supplement the triploid trout with some natural trout to attempt to create a semi-wild trout fishery. Sure, TWRA will have to continue to add a significant number of triploids for the catch-n-keep crowd, but having a naturally reproducing portion of that river would be pretty cool.

Flat,
I would be very interested in getting involved in an initiative to help create a semi self sustaining fishery. I actually made a post about this sometime back in the conservation forum.

Travis

gutshot
12-19-2008, 03:40 PM
the trout that twra stocks are triploid (sterile). the fish will still run upstream and lay eggs, but they dont survive. Maybe a few brood stock got into the mix somehow, but it would be a very small percentage

Since when and where?

Jswitow
12-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Gents this was covered years ago. Minimal, inconsequential spawning in Clear Creek, and maybe a little more in Coal Creek. People who stayed involved after I walked away will have more knowledge about Coal Creek. Is Clear Creek no longer closed from November to March? I took some great pics one evening right about nightfall of fish trying to jump the 5' dam on Clear Creek. One fish after another was attempting that leap, a couple of them actually made it. If I can dig them up, I will post them. I had heard there were some big browns spawning above Millers. I was out there weekend before last and saw the reds, but no fish. I bet people are harvesting those fish. Maybe a Clinch River TU member will respond to this thread. Phil Bettoli (sp?) at TN Tech led the studies. The studies were published and distributed, I may have one. If I can find it I will post on the site.
Anyway very little suitable habitat on the Clinch for spawning, though it seems some of the gravel beds below islands would be good for redd building.
I'm rambling. Good to hear the fish are growing over there, need to get back and try it again.
Best,
John

Flat Fly n
12-20-2008, 02:16 PM
John and ChemE,
Figure out how we can get in touch and lets go fish sometime when the water is off. Of course we would leave ChemE in the truck if he starts talking about PChem. and ping pong kinetics! I am just now recovering from the effects of that class 28 years ago!

I wonder with all this rain if the bows are starting to show up in Clear right now? Yes, it used to be posted. I actually reported a poacher there once.

Gerry Romer
12-20-2008, 02:40 PM
I drove up Clear Creek about a month ago and it is still very clearly posted.

Do I recall WBIR's Heartland Series doing a show on TWRA shocking the fish up Clear Creek? Seems to me there were some pretty big browns turning up in there at the time. This was maybe five years ago.

ChemEAngler
12-20-2008, 11:51 PM
John and ChemE,
Figure out how we can get in touch and lets go fish sometime when the water is off. Of course we would leave ChemE in the truck if he starts talking about PChem. and ping pong kinetics! I am just now recovering from the effects of that class 28 years ago!

I wonder with all this rain if the bows are starting to show up in Clear right now? Yes, it used to be posted. I actually reported a poacher there once.

Hey Flat,
I am game anytime you want to go.

Don't worry, the last thing I will start talking about while fishing is anything Chemistry or Engineering related. I always leave both at work, never bring it home with me.

If you go to my blog below, you will find a link to my email. That is probably the easiest way to reach me.....

Travis