PDA

View Full Version : Which rod?

Wilson10
12-15-2008, 11:05 PM
LRO folks,

I'm looking for a new 5wt in the $150-$250 range. I've looked at the new St. Croix Imperial, Orvis Clearwater II, and TFO Pro.

Anyone have any input on these rods or any others I should look at?

I also wanted to ask about the Orvis mid flex vs. tip flex. I've read and researched a little. What are your thoughts on these two flexes? Should I use the tip flex for fishing the bigger tailwaters for more distance?

Thanks!

AW

TroutAssassin
12-15-2008, 11:59 PM
The TFO and the Clearwater II are both good choices. The TFO pro is one of my favorite rods. It has a med/fast action that I like. If you go with the Clearwater II you will be best with getting it in the faster tip flex for rocketing out alot of line on tailwaters. I have not casted the st. croix so I cant tell you anything about it.

Carolina Boy
12-16-2008, 09:50 AM
I liked my TFO Pro 4 wt so much I bought a 5 wt and a 10 foot 7 wt for my Kayak. They can take a beating, and I know cuz I thrashed mine in a "kayak accident" floating down a river and it came out unbeliveable without a scratch! Thay also have a great warranty.

jeffnles1
12-16-2008, 10:00 AM
I've never cast or seen the St. Croix Imperial so cannot say anything about it. In another thread, Daniel from LRO said he cast one and it was very good. I have cast the Clearwater and TFO Pro and both are very nice rods. As for workmanship and overall quality, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the ones you mentioned.

Tip flex (fast action) vs. Mid Flex (medium action), it's like comparing blondes to brunettes. Some folks like brunettes, some guys like blondes, while others like red heads. They're all good, just different.

Personally, I like the mid flex as is noted in my rod collection (2 Scott G2, Winston BII-t). I find that the overwhelming majority of the fish I catch are less than 50' from where I'm standing and the need to toss out 90' of line has never been a big plus.

On the other hand, I know guys who would never consider a rod that they could not cast the entire line and consider the type of rods I like to be limp noodles.

It's all a matter of personal choice.

Jeff

flyred06
12-16-2008, 12:42 PM
I have owned all the rods mentioned. I love the orvis rods and the st. crouix rod. I never owned a clearwater but have owned from silver lables up in the orvis line. I like the 6.0 mid-flex rod own the orvis. I can cast around 80 ft of line no problem. The st crouix is an 8 wt for bass but it is faster action and wears me out. However, it cast very well. I can not say anything bad about the TFO rods. There professional series is awesome along with the ticr. I personally choose the orvis because I can know the flex index by there chart and each rod I order I can go by that and know I am getting something that cast like I like right out of the package. Of course my favorite is still my winston IM6 rods.

Wilson10
12-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks Guys.

I'm really torn between these rods. I don't think I can go wrong with any of them. I like the options the Orvis provides and I've always been a fan of orvis products. The new imperial feels like a rod that costs much more than the price tag and the TFO is tried and true and has a great customer service dept.

Tough choices...

ChemEAngler
12-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Wilson,
You know that if you jump up to the TLS level of Orvis, that they are throwing in a free reel don't you? I have my eye on the 8'-6" TLS 2 pc, and it comes in at $280. Throw in a $100 reel for free, and that is quite a deal there.

Travis

Wilson10
12-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Wilson,
You know that if you jump up to the TLS level of Orvis, that they are throwing in a free reel don't you? I have my eye on the 8'-6" TLS 2 pc, and it comes in at $280. Throw in a $100 reel for free, and that is quite a deal there.

Travis

Didn't know that...Thanks! Def lookin into that now.

flyred06
12-17-2008, 05:37 PM
ChemE i could not agree more. With the deal that is being offered I am tempted to buy another one myself. I have an 11wt in the TLS and it is trully one sweet rod. I do not believe anyone could go wrong with that choice. Add in the great orvis reels and you are set. Along with LRO staff advising the right line and free shipping, all I can say is WOW! Excellent suggestion.