PDA

View Full Version : Winter Fishing - Lower Elevation Streams

one more cast
12-17-2008, 11:31 AM
My question is, what are the lower elevation streams in the park, either side, that would have the warmest winter water?

Thanks

Bran
12-17-2008, 12:16 PM
I've always heard Abram's creek in Cade's Cove has more low springs feeding it therefore it's more stable with temp. It also equates to some special substrate that is known to be pretty slick (hard to wade) so be forewarned.

one more cast
12-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Thanks Bran

one more cast
12-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Never mind. I will get a topo map and figure it out for myself.

Bran
12-17-2008, 03:36 PM
No problem, I'd give you more info. but I simply don't know. I've only fished the Smokies in the Summer months pretty much. Anybody else out there have any help?
I will say that Byron's fishing report is a good source of info. Go to LRO's main page and look at the report, I think everything is running pretty warm right now though by his report and all of the rain.---Bran

flyred06
12-17-2008, 04:03 PM
you sure got it right when you said Abrams was slick and hard to wade. But it is some darn good fishing.

sammcdonald
12-17-2008, 09:22 PM
abrams is as slick as snot on a doorknob...don't go alone

David Knapp
12-18-2008, 01:48 AM
If you can go at the last minute, wait for the first warm rain after it has been cold awhile...as long as it isn't so much water that it blows the streams out...

one more cast
12-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Plateau Angler,

Thanks for the info. I should have some flexibility on timing a trip to a favorable week according to the weather forecast. I have fished WNC streams during winter warm spells before with good results, and I assume the park would also be good at this time. I know what the low elevation streams are around Townsend (I enjoy reading Byron's fishing reports), and I have located some others on a topo map.