PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Trip

dailey624
12-22-2008, 01:52 AM
My family and I are heading down to the park on Friday and staying through the weekend. I was wondering if anyone could surrender some advice on which locations and flies to use. Is there any one particular stram that is fishing exceptionally well or any good at all?
Does anyone have a prediction on what the front that is forecasted to move through will effect what the trout will do eating wise?

Thanks,
Justin

Speckleman5
12-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Best of luck to you while you are here. It was 9 degrees when I woke up this morning. I wold assume it is going to slow it down a bit. I don't believe I care to find out today.

Tarheelflyfishing
12-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Justin--It's going to warm up pretty nicely on Friday and Saturday in the Smokies. I checked the forecast for Townsend, as I will be up at the shop tomorrow buying a few tying materials ('tis the season for tying), and upper 50's to lower 60's look to play out. The water temperatures have been perfect, mid 50's lately, so the trout are looking for bugs. I would go with small midges (#22-26), Blue Wing Olives (#18-22) (which a few may hatch out if it's cloudy enough), small Adams (#20-24), and also Pheasant Tail nymphs in sizes of 16-22 should work. Also,try a lightning bug nymph (great fly). I have had tremendous luck with a green weenie at any time of year...I think the trout are just lured to the fly more so in curiosity than in selection). The front may put the trout down for a while, but just be consistent and you will catch some nice fish.
----------------------------------------------
Tyler Legg, http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com

David Knapp
12-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Streamers have been accounting for some fish lately...