PDA

View Full Version : Nantahala River?......

Tarheelflyfishing
12-23-2008, 12:32 AM
My question is, what is the 'hala looking like right now? Has anyone fished it, or is it desolate and trout deprived? Any tips/suggestions? I was spending time with family over that way this past Summer, and I did well, fished approx. 2 times a week, and caught around 7 or 8 browns each time, and lost countless fish. The trout aren't all that big above the raft put-ins, but I guess I won't see many rafters this time of year. The big worry is when the wall of water is rushing down the river off in the distance when the generators start cranking...that's a major danger....especially in frigid weather.

Tight Lines to all and Merry Christmas,
------------------------------------------------------
Tyler, http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com

SWAMPUS
12-23-2008, 07:46 PM
TARHEEL-Don't know what it's like this yr,but fished delay harvest last Jan + had good luck.Mostly on nymphs,but during a warm afternoon caught some 'bows on orange palmers.I'm frezing my Watusi on a towboat in Chicago right now,but get off Jan 5 and plan to go to my place outside Bryson mid-Jan if weather co-ops.Works out,maybe I'll see you on the river.

Tarheelflyfishing
12-24-2008, 04:48 PM
I hear you Swamp, I was watching the Weather Channel earlier, and the big story was the COLD and snow up in Chicago. Don't know about you, but a little snow is great, ongoing snow isn't fun, as us fly fisherman need a few warm weather days to fish. As for the Nantahala, I might stop and wet a line, but might also fish the Pigeon River up on the northern fringe of the GSMNP...have to find access points though,......that'll be fun....oh so it goes...have a good one and Merry Christmas.
---------------------------------------------------
Tight Lines,

Speckleman5
12-24-2008, 06:04 PM
That just seems funny to me to hear the Pigeon referred to as on the fringe of the GSMNP. Sometimes it is nice to have a little perspective put on how lucky some of us are to be right here. 30 minutes away doesn't feel like the fringe, I guess I'll be ringing in Christmas within the fringe. Merry Christmas to everyone and I hope Santa fills up the creel with goodies.

SWAMPUS
12-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Tarheel-If you fish the Nant,try a #6 Golden Stone nymph deeeeeep in the heads of large pools.Use lots of wt.Really get it down.There are some large Browns in there.Evidence-27"er.Fat,healthy,we really went round+round that pool!This is ya'll's Christmas present.

Tarheelflyfishing
12-24-2008, 11:09 PM
Speckleman5--You're without a doubt a lucky guy if you live 30 minutes from the "fringe" of the Northern Smokies.(I'm Jealous man!!!) The Pigeon is a wild and pristine river. It reminded me a lot of parts of the Madison River back in MT. I was driving along I-40, and the Pigeon was callin' for me. I knew there were trout in there. I knew there was a trout behind every submerged rock and under every riffle. I was pulling my hair out, it was driving me CRAZY!!
Swampus--Awesome. The 'Hala is probably my second choice following the Davidson River (the "D") as the best non-tailwater trout streams in TN. I've always fished freestoners. I mean I've fished tailwaters too, and they're up to parr w/ the "D" and 'Hala, but I guess it's just that I grew up fishing freestoners, and saving up for a Hyde will take a few years so I'll be able to fish the tailwaters more efficiently. Anywho, yup, I've tied zillions of goldens, I'll try one of those Crook's Floater in the Pool (http://www.slideinn.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=29_59&products_id=192)flies. They seem to bring wily browns up to the surface albeit there probably won't be any goldens hatching.

Appreciate it,
--------------------------------------------------------

SWAMPUS
12-25-2008, 11:44 AM
The nymph they sell at Simons is called a stone,but I think the reason it works so well is it resembles a crayfish pattern.Smallies love crawfish and the Brown I caught could have whipped a Smallies butt.Matter of fact,going thru Atlanta I think I'll pick a doz small crayfish flies.Sorry about the diff spellings for crawfish.Up North-crayfish.Down South-crawfish.La-crawdads,mudbugs,dinner,etc.Happy New Year!

troutslayer3393
01-04-2009, 10:05 PM
I fished the 'Hala in October. Couldn't keep the brooks off of my line. I'm with Swampus, fishing heavy nymphs in deep pools is the way to go. Fishing at the heads of pools and downstream drifting worked for me since the water was so clear. Also carry different weighted egg patterns. Thats what I caught them on

troutslayer3393
01-04-2009, 10:08 PM
PS.... I fished the upper Nantahala

Tarheelflyfishing
01-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Quick change of plans...I fished the Davidson River in Brevard NC instead. Caught 2 16 inch browns on San Juan Worms. Rain and overcast skies brought BWO's to the surface. Really hoping to hit the Nantahala soon though

SWAMPUS
01-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Tarheel-getting off this boat tomorrow.Better news-am going to try to be on Nantahala mid Jan.Praying for a Jan Thaw!Before I built my cabin outside Bryson City,I camped + fished the Davidson.Gorgeou river.Especially liked Emerald Pool as I called it.Am going to try it again in the spring.I work 30 on-30 off and May will b off.Maybe I'll s you there.