PDA

View Full Version : Need help with new vise

rmorring
12-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Merry Chirstmas everyone,
My wife has given me the thumbs up to order a new vise. I have narrowed it down to two,a Dyna-king Supreme and a HMH Standard. Anyone using these vises? Whats your likes/dislikes. Any other suggestions.

Thanks,
Randy

92Esquire
12-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Randy -

First understand that asking strangers to pick your vise is like asking strangers to pick your spouse. That said, what types of flies do you tie? What sizes? What are you tying on now, and what shortcomings do you see with it? What are you hoping that your new vise will do differently?

rmorring
12-25-2008, 12:24 AM
i've been using a Dyna-King F-C Enhanced for about 5yr.s now,tying large bass fly's & clouser's,so I know how well made they are made.It is an inline rotary style vise with no head angle adjustment. I will be tying small fly's( 12 - 24 )dry's & nymph's for trout,and my larger fly's. I've had experience with the Renzetti Traveler series, and like the Dyna-King over the Renzetti hands down.The HMH is only $20 cheaper than the supreme, and I have read a few reviews on the HMH about how well they are made. They both can be used as rotary vises,both are built like tanks,and both have full head angle adjustment It's just a hard choice to make........So what do you think?

92Esquire
12-25-2008, 08:24 AM
I think you can't make a bad choice.

Either of those vises will last tens (or hundreds) of thousands of flies, and are backed by top-notch companies. Do you have a chance to try either or both? LRO might have them for you to try side-by-side.

Every vise is a compromise. I've been tying on a PEAK for the past couple of years, and I like it very much. For Chirstmas, my wife bought me a Dyna King Barracuda Indexer. The DK is a much better finished vise, and it holds bigger hooks exceptionally well. However, even with the midge jaws, I prefer the PEAK (granted, with PEAK's midge jaws) for size 16 and smaller scud-hook patterns. Just a little bit better hook access.

Looking at the jaw offerings from both companies, I think HMH's midge jaws look like a winner. But I really like the Dyna King camming system on the jaws.

I dunno. Flip a coin and you'll likely be happy either way. Or buy a Regal.

Tarheelflyfishing
12-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Randy--Both of these vises are excellent. The HMH Standard is very simple, as it doesn't have excessive knobs and levers, so it's not like your starting a 747 up when you're wanting to tie a few flies. HMH Standard holds hook sizes in the 28-4/0 range, so everything from tiny midges to Clouser's and Zoo Cougars can be tied without problems. Now for the Dyna King Supreme...Dyna King is a great company...very dedicated people. Again, an excellent vise; very strong jaws but delicate grip.
Another vise worth checking out is Griffin's Odyssey Spider vise. Retail price is $85, and let me tell you, it is top quality for it's price. I own an Odyssey and it hasn't let me down a bit. Always check out the vise you want at the nearest fly shop, especially if it is a rather expensive one.

----------------------------------------------------
Tight Lines, Tyler Legg http://tarheelflyfishing.com

tnernie
12-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Best advice is to compare them side by side at LRO. If that is not possible you might want to read the reviews at this link:
http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index.html
Some of the reviews are a couple of years old but I think they are still accurate.

If it is against the rules to list links to other web sites please delete.

Ernie

rmorring
01-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Just got the HMH Standard vise and Micro Jaws today, and I must say it's one heck of a vise. I haven't got to tie on it yet, but it's at least as good a vise as my Dyna-King FC Enhanced vise. I would highly recommend this vise.

rmorring
01-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Sent the HMH back today. Could not get used to the hook tension adjustment and had to tighten the tension up so tight that I could hardly get the cam lever to close to keep the hook from moving in the jaws. Looks like i'm gonna get another Dyna-King. It's hard to go to another vise once you get used to the notch lock cam and hook holding power of a Dyna-King.