PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh... I "broke" my rod.

Worrgamesguy
12-27-2008, 04:41 PM
One of the eyelets popped out of the little retaining clips, should I reheat it and mold it back or send it in to TFO?

Fishermansfly
12-27-2008, 04:58 PM
No heating that may damage the 2part expoxy that holds the guides feet. TFO will warranty it...Send it back to them...They'll more than likely give you a new rod, and if nutting else at least your rod will be fixed!

~Brett

David Knapp
12-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Like Brett said, just send it back. No use risking voiding the warranty... Besides, it looks like the Caney won't be fishable for awhile yet...:frown:

Gerry Romer
12-28-2008, 01:11 AM
Send it back to TFO. You'll likely have a new rod within 7 days!

Gerry

Worrgamesguy
12-28-2008, 01:29 AM
It's so stupid to send it back over that :frown: I have the warranty card... somewhere. Could I send it in with the rod even though I bought it back in October?

Paula Begley
12-28-2008, 09:12 AM
We always mail the warranty cards in for customers. You shouldn't have a problem with it. Just send it in for repair.

Paula

Worrgamesguy
12-28-2008, 09:48 PM
I didn't get it from you guys :frown:

I was going to but we were going fishing the next day and couldn't deal with my Cortland POS any longer. When I bought it, he handed me the warranty card that is still sitting somewhere on my desk. I hope no one threw it away.

ChemEAngler
12-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Trey,
I have a buddy who was in a similar situation, and he just called them and told them. They sent him another warranty card.

Definitely send it in to TFO for repairs. You don't want to void your warranty in the event of a major break because of trying to do your own repairs to a minor problem.

Travis

Worrgamesguy
12-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Hey Travis, thanks. I guess I will call them tomorrow and get the run down of how to handle this. I wonder if they will ask me for the original receipt to show I am the first owner... I could always call Cumberland Transit if something pops up. This thread basically was made because I wanted to go fishing the next day or two after I created it. I thought I could heat up one of the plastic foot holds, and mold the metal back in and go tear up the streams, but then I thought of the heat creating a weakness in the rod and it snapping when (if) I get a huge brown on the Caney.

Tell me this- what is the best way of assembling rods? I would always put it on as tight as possible because I've had rods come apart during a cast (spin rods, haven't have a fly rod come apart). When I was trying to get the rod undone, I used one of the eyelets for torque power and one of the feet popped off. I want to prevent this from happening again, but I don't want it flying apart either.

diamonddave7676
12-29-2008, 10:26 AM
I doubt you would have any problems at all with TFO. I have a friend that bought a TFO rod from me and he broke it. I never sent in the warranty card and he even sent it in under his name and they never questioned him or anything. He just sent the rod and I believe $25 and he had a new rod in less then a week.

gmreeves
12-29-2008, 10:40 AM
When putting two parts of a graphite fly rod together you can push them together with the guides offset and then when the ferrules are fully seated, twist the rods to get the guides to line up. Never use the guides as torque. I was told this will heep the rod together during fishing.

When taking the rod apart do the opposite of putting it together. Never use the guides as torque. If the rod is stuck, you can do a couple of things. If you are with someone else, each of you place a hand on each rod section and simultaneously pull the rod apart. Another thing you can try is if you are by yourself is to squat down and place the rod in the bend of your knees. Then spread your legs apart to free the stuck ferrule. I'm sure there are other ways but these are ways that work good for me.

Worrgamesguy
12-29-2008, 01:06 PM
I doubt you would have any problems at all with TFO. I have a friend that bought a TFO rod from me and he broke it. I never sent in the warranty card and he even sent it in under his name and they never questioned him or anything. He just sent the rod and I believe $25 and he had a new rod in less then a week.

I've heard similar stories. Do you know how I'm supposed to ship it? In the rod sock, or in the rod tube?

When putting two parts of a graphite fly rod together you can push them together with the guides offset and then when the ferrules are fully seated, twist the rods to get the guides to line up. Never use the guides as torque. I was told this will heep the rod together during fishing.

When taking the rod apart do the opposite of putting it together. Never use the guides as torque. If the rod is stuck, you can do a couple of things. If you are with someone else, each of you place a hand on each rod section and simultaneously pull the rod apart. Another thing you can try is if you are by yourself is to squat down and place the rod in the bend of your knees. Then spread your legs apart to free the stuck ferrule. I'm sure there are other ways but these are ways that work good for me.

Thanks a bunch.

diamonddave7676
12-30-2008, 09:08 AM
I've heard similar stories. Do you know how I'm supposed to ship it? In the rod sock, or in the rod tube?

Thanks a bunch.

Well I would call TFO and let them know you are sending the rod first. I wouldnt say anything about the warranty card unless they ask. Make sure to ask them if it is $20 or $25 cause I am not sure which it is. Then go to the post office and buy one of the carboard shipping tubes they have close to the size of the rod and put the rod in it. If possible maybe put something else in the tube for protection such as shredded paper or something. Then address it to them and include the money and you should have a new or repaired rod back in less then 7 days.

The Principal
12-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Make a check or use a money order for $25. Mail direct to TFO.
Be sure and insure your rod. Send US mail. I have done this 4 times.
The Post Office has shipping boxes for this purpose. you get the box
when you pay the postage. Send To: Temple Fork Outfitters
8105 Sovereign Row
Dallas, Texas 75247

The Principal
12-30-2008, 06:38 PM
One other thing . Don't forget to include your return address with the check
or money order. I did that one time and had to reopen the shipping box
and reseal it.