PDA

View Full Version : Middle Prong

golfballs03
12-30-2008, 01:07 AM
I fished the Middle Prong of the Little River today. By late afternoon I checked the water temp and it read 48 degrees and the water was flowing pretty good so needless to say the fish weren't too active. Since it was so slow I gave into my curiosity decided to drive down to Abrams Creek on the bottom side of Cades Cove. The water there was 2 degrees warmer. Pretty pointless, but it killed some time. I did see a black bear with her cub down there so it made the the trip over worthwhile.

David Knapp
12-30-2008, 01:55 AM
See any kind of bugs hatching? Midges, little winter stoneflies, etc...? If the rain holds off I've been itching to get back over there to fish. A slow day of catching in the Smokies is still a great day of fishing in my book!

ttas67
12-30-2008, 02:06 AM
David - I was there on saturday. the fishing was no good. I didn't get a bite the whole day, but to be honest, I was just sort of screwing around and drudging big nasty stoneflies on the bottom. I did see one mayfly, and I think a few sparse caddis, but nothing to get excited about.

Tiger fly
12-31-2008, 01:06 PM
I was there too. couldn't buy a bite. very little activity.

PeteCz
12-31-2008, 03:10 PM
I had a very similar experience on Saturday, as well. I spent about 2 hours dragging nymphs and streamers through some nicely flowing water with no luck. In fact, I never saw a fish the whole time.

On the way home, for some reason, I decided to stop below the Institute at a pool I haven't caught a fish in, in six years of trying. I decided to switch to a dry, just for something to do and work on my mending skills for about 10 minutes (practice, practice, practice).

I worked my way up to the head of the pool where two different segments come together and switched to a #14 Crackleback dry. I cast the fly into the foam at the confluence of the segments and almost as soon as the fly landed a beautiful fat 12" rainbow came up and hammered the fly. I'm surprised I didn't break him off. I was more shocked than anything else. Of course I didn't have my camera. It was the nicest fish I have caught in the Park. The fish had been eating very, very well and probably scared all the others away.

As so many others have said: "its amazing how many more fish one is, than none"

Have a Happy New Year!

nvr2L8
12-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Pete,

Tried the same pool on Tuesday; nymphs, dries, nothing. Did have one really nice one come up and address a dry once and then never saw him again. Maybe it was yours and he was that much wiser three days later.