PDA

View Full Version : How I Got to the Smokies

Rog 1
01-01-2009, 05:46 PM
This is remotely connected to fishing in these great mountains. I lost my Dad the day after Christmas and it was through him that I got to know these mountains. He married a girl from Sevierville after the War and her father, my grandfather, fished theses streams until he was 82 years young. My Dad started me fishing before I was two years old and it was a natural progression to take up fishing in the Park after following my grandfather around after picnics. I caught my first trout on a fly on Porter's Creek when I was 13 and have fished these mountains every chance I have had for the last 48 years. My Dad kept fishing in the ponds of his retirement community until he couldn't see to rig his rod which was when he was 89. I only hope I can look forward to the same good fortune and keep coming back to this place he was responsible for putting me in for many years to come.

kytroutman
01-01-2009, 05:49 PM
My sympathies for your loss. Keeping memories alive keeps those we have lost close by.

nvr2L8
01-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Rog,

I want to add my sympathies and hope for peace and comfort for you and your family. What a great legacy of fly fishing in your family - I'm sure your dad's memory will live on strongly as long as you continue to visit the streams you fished together.

lauxier
01-02-2009, 11:21 AM
the smokies is a place of memories as much as anything else,that's why we hold the park in such high regard,that's why we get so mad when we see the park trashed and abused by folk's(adults) who should know better,but just do not care.

dvcaviness
01-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Rog 1,

Sorry for your loss.
What a great story and I'm sure you have many great memories of fishing with your Dad.
What a blessed life you've had. We with good families are very fortunate indeed.
God bless you and your family.

Doyle

donwinn
01-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Rog 1,

So sorry for your loss. I lost my dad on 11/10/97. He too taught me to play with a fly rod. I am so thankful for memories. I have a treasure chest full of good ones. I know you do as well.

BlueRaiderFan
01-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Rog,

Sorry for your loss. I lost my father in 1992. I was 23 years old and on active duty in the Army. He had cancer and was dying, but I couldn't get back to see him except for one time in the last few months he was alive. He loved to fish.

Dwayne

cubefisher
01-14-2009, 12:12 AM
My late father was a grouse hunter, backpacker, trout fisherman who frequented the Park and first introduced me to it as a child. Every once in a while, I'll hear a grouse drum while I'm standing in Bradley Fork. I think of him every time it happens. Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Tradition is a great thing.

Plunker
01-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Rog,
SO Sorry for your loss, to lose a loved one anytime is bad...so much worse over the holidays...thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Also,
thanks for reminding all of us (in spirit) to take the opportunity to let our loved ones now how much they mean to us...we never know how few or fleeting those opportunities may be.