PDA

View Full Version : My New Years trip to Gatlinburg

Worrgamesguy
01-01-2009, 06:37 PM
My girlfriend's mom wanted to take a spur of the moment trip to Gatlinburg on the 30th, so we left Smyrna at about 9:00 PM (10:00 EST). We arrived at a little after midnight (1:00 your time). We got our hotel room and went to bed. We got up lazily, and walked around town.

I never paid any attention to the rivers and streams surrounding the Gatlinburg area, they looked excellent! It was great seeing all the streams you guys talk so highly of. The LP looked higher than it should be, but looked quite fishable. I wish I brought my rod, but I didn't have that kind of time. It killed me to drive by all the miles of trout water without taking a look with some polarized sunglasses.

I got a chance (finally!) to stop by LRO yesterday afternoon around closing time. I asked the cashier if I could meet Byron, Paula, and Daniel. She said Paula had gone home, and Byron and Daniel were around somewhere. I went upstairs and introduced myself to Byron, and he introduced me to the mayor of Townsend. That was pretty cool, we had a good talk about fly fishing and the mayor's tradition of fishing with his wife. I needed a leader straightener (what are your opinions of these?) and I really wanted a LRO hat, so I got my straightener and asked where the hats were. They said they were probably out, and my heart sunk. And here comes Daniel down the stairs with an armful of hats. YAY! I'm still wearing my hat :p

It was painful passing over the Holston, Clinch, and Caney. I know for sure the Caney had been generating, but I wanted to show my girlfriend the dam. When we got up there, the water was off, but still high. So, I have hopes to be fishing again soon!

Thanks for everything guys!!!

Gerry Romer
01-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Trey --

It's great you finally made it over to LRO! Good people!! Don't worry we'll make sure you meet Paula when you make your trip back in the spring with your grandmother! Looking forward to it.

Gerry

Tarheelflyfishing
01-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Byron, Paula, and Daniel, and the LRO staff have worked HARD to make Little River Outfitters a wonderful fly shop. Maybe we can get the Travel Channel to do a Top Ten Fly Shops in the South special. I think LRO would without a doubt make #1. ( I know, I'm way out of my mind):biggrin:.

Gerry Romer
01-01-2009, 11:42 PM
No, not really...

unquestionably number one!

Tarheelflyfishing
01-01-2009, 11:54 PM
There's a way better word to describe LRO,...Unquestionably #1!!

Worrgamesguy
01-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Trey --

It's great you finally made it over to LRO! Good people!! Don't worry we'll make sure you meet Paula when you make your trip back in the spring with your grandmother! Looking forward to it.

Gerry

It's been too long, and all this time I was worried about the drive- it was a breeze! Since we left so late, I was the only one awake because I had to drive, so it was basically like driving by myself.

Gatlinburg is crazy, and I missed the turn by the Gatlinburg Welcome Center that Paula gave me directions over the phone for, so I stopped in Pigeon Forge at gas station and found an alternative route. The sign said "Townsend 15"... I underestimated the length of 15 miles. I was sure I had gone too far because it was looking more rural than I expected, so someone told me to keep going 3 more miles. Got to the stop light, turned right, and it was right there in sight. I seriously had butterflies :redface:

You guys really have created a monster :rolleyes:

Byron, Paula, and Daniel, and the LRO staff have worked HARD to make Little River Outfitters a wonderful fly shop. Maybe we can get the Travel Channel to do a Top Ten Fly Shops in the South special. I think LRO would without a doubt make #1. ( I know, I'm way out of my mind):biggrin:.

I thought it was going to be quaint, but it was massive. Byron is definitely a great guy, and Daniel is very helpful.

No, not really...

unquestionably number one!

There's a way better word to describe LRO,...Unquestionably #1!!

To this point, it was the 3rd fly shop I'd ever stepped in... EASILY number one, followed by Cumberland Transit and Bass Pro.

Worrgamesguy
01-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Oh yeah, I have a question. The Little Pigeon river holds what type of fish? I saw a video of someone catching a huge smallie out of it, and a video of a heron eating what looked like trout.

sammcdonald
01-03-2009, 04:26 PM
there is a good smallie population in the little pigeon in the pigeon forge area.....particularly around river divide area

Paula Begley
01-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Worrgamesguy,

Sorry I missed meeting you. We've got some aging, very sick puppies who need me to get home to them. Maybe next time. Thanks for your kind words about LRO. :smile:

Paula

Troutman
01-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Gatlinburg fishing is not a bad place to get away for a couple of hours when you don't have the time to drive 2 hours to the nearest non generating tailwater. Its not all motel lined streams either and you won't be standing shoulder to shoulder like so many of the tailwaters these days. I was able to get in a few hours this afternoon.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/TROUT2009015.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/TROUT2009005.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/TROUT2009007.jpg

Worrgamesguy
01-04-2009, 12:52 AM
there is a good smallie population in the little pigeon in the pigeon forge area.....particularly around river divide area

I don't know where that is, but that's alright. It all looked like trout water to me.

Worrgamesguy,

Sorry I missed meeting you. We've got some aging, very sick puppies who need me to get home to them. Maybe next time. Thanks for your kind words about LRO. :smile:

Paula

Aging puppies :confused: Haha I wish I could have met all 3 of you, but 2 is good enough for me. That trip definitely sparked an interest in GSMNP fishing.

Gatlinburg fishing is not a bad place to get away for a couple of hours when you don't have the time to drive 2 hours to the nearest non generating tailwater. Its not all motel lined streams either and you won't be standing shoulder to shoulder like so many of the tailwaters these days. I was able to get in a few hours this afternoon.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/TROUT2009015.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/TROUT2009005.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/TROUT2009007.jpg

Nice rainbow! Where was this at?

Rob GRiggs
01-06-2009, 08:41 PM
I have a friend that used to be a ranger in the smokies and he would tell me that in the winter down town Gatlinburg that he would put on a 2x leader and 3x tippet and he would grab some clousers and wollybuggers and would cast down stream working the bug up past the bolders and deep pools. He said that you can catch a lot of trout that way. I actually do that here and it works great. My buddy now lives in Casper WY. He fishes Grays Reef all the time. If you want to catch GIANT fish go there. Look it up on google. Its insane.