PDA

View Full Version : little river 1-1-09

2weightfavorite
01-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Fished the little today with a buddy of mine Ive been wanting to fish with for a while. Started out around 10 or so in the AM and it didn't take long to catch some fish. Caught some decent rainbows from our first stop, nothing at the second, and had 2 really nice bows at the third stop. Ended the day by doing a little sight fishing, and we both landed one more. All of our fish came on nymphs, fished deep with alot of shot. Barely any bug activity all day, although we did see just a few black caddis (they happened to be on my buddies waders, and now residing in my truck), but they were caddis none the less.

It was strange fishing the little river at what used to be a "normal" water level. I Havent had to use 2 or 3 shot in a long time, let alone worry about water that was too swift to wade.

nvr2L8
01-02-2009, 10:40 AM
2weight,

When you're fishing nymphs with shot, what keeps the fish from being spooked with the shot coming through the pool first? Seems like they would scat before the nymph ever got to them.

rainBBow
01-03-2009, 11:12 AM
2weight

Thanks for the great day! I had a great and slightly numb day (feet). When I got home , I hung my waders up to dry in the shower. I now have black caddis in my bathroom. Makes me feel like I am still on the river.

Thanks again!

kytroutman
01-03-2009, 12:00 PM
nvr2L8, fish will spook from the weights, if they hit the water first. I normally try to flip near a rock so the weight and nymph seemingly fall off the rock and it doesn't scare the fish. Also, the effect of the weight is minimized when nymphing into faster water.

nvr2L8
01-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks kytroutman. Tried fishing with split shot today in some of the deeper pools on Little River without success. I'll try your technique next time and see if I have better luck.

2weightfavorite
01-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Ive never had a problem with my shot spooking trout. Even when fishing the spring creeks in central PA, I often used shot, and never had a problem.

In all reality you should be casting well above where you think a fish should be holding anyway. This gives the fly time to sink, and by not casting right on top of the fishes head you'll be less likely to spook him.

I also keep my shot about 6 inches or so above my fly, and if I'm using a tandem rig I always put the shot between the top fly and bottom fly. I'd say theres tons of stuff that comes tumbling along the bottom of a stream thoughout the day, and I really don't think that trout pay a bit of attention to split shot as they cruise by.

And to back up what kytroutman said, in fast water there is no way the trout could possibly notice the shot hitting the water. Along with that, most of the fish we caught came from faster water. Only two were caught from a slow pool.

nvr2L8
01-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Appreciate the reply 2weight. More to go experiment with. :smile: