PDA

View Full Version : website and tourism

Treecatcher2
01-05-2009, 04:58 PM
"You are going to see a shift, for the first time, asking people to visit Townsend and help them make their plans. Why? Because Iím concerned about our tourism business next year"

glad to see it. Now don't laugh but for some of us Townsend is an exotic place. I enjoy renting a cabin and stalking the fish in GSMNP. My wife often comes with me but not to fish, so anything that Townsend has to offer beyond fishing would be helpful. WE do visit the Townsend Chamber site to see whats going on...

jeffnles1
01-05-2009, 05:24 PM
I agree that it's a good idea. Especially links to area attractions for the families. My son won't fish as long or as hard as I will and I can imagine other families are the same. Some good ideas of things to do in the area that may not be the typical tourist things (what area things would a local recommend type of things).

Also information about lodging and cabins would be very helpful for people planning a trip (heck, maybe even some of the hotels and cabins could be talked into giving LRO clients a discount in exchange for LRO sending people there?)

I would think a good place to start would be to think of the questions we ask you guys while we're in the shop (other than what fly is working best, or where the 20" browns are hanging out :smile: ).

Anyway, looking forward to the website updates.

Byron Begley
01-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Thank you both for the comments. Keep them coming. If you go to the Troutfest website I designed a page with links to every motel, campground, cabin rental company and B & B in our county. I promise it took all day to do that page. Finding all those links and copying them in took forever. But it is an example of what can be done to help visitors. That list does not include developed campgrounds or backcountry campsites in the Park. Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg off many opportunities for day trips. There are also a lot of non-fishing activities here that are not mentioned in the Visitors Bureau website. We'll work on that too. For instance you are only a short drive to a very nice gun club where you can shoot sporting clays, skeet and trap. I think they even rent guns. There is a great canoe rental company that works downstream from us on Little River. A new performing arts center is under construction on the Maryville College Campus. Heck, we're going to an Eagles concert week after next in Knoxville. There is a lot to do around here and people don't know about it.

Thanks,

Byron

Luke Warmwater
01-05-2009, 08:50 PM
I was in Townsend with my family this weekend and we made plans to visit the Great Smoky Mountain Heritage Center (http://www.gsmheritagecenter.org/). Also, we stopped by the Visitors Bureau for some additional info on other attractions. We made our plans mostly on Byron's recommendations, through previous posts on the message board and the Fishing Report. Of course we get out and explore on our own every time we go.

Believe it or not those 20" browns are right in the curve by that big pile of rocks. Right next to the road. No kidding really ;^}

(http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/www.southeasternfly.com)www.southeasternfly.com (http://www.southeasternfly.com)

flyman
01-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Byron for Mayor! :biggrin:

Byron Begley
01-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Flyman for Mayor,

Actually our new mayor is better than anyone I could have picked (We live in the County and can't vote in city elections). He is a fly fisherman, he is very smart, his wife fly fishes and she is a trout artist but more than that he is a much better mayor than I would be. Pat Jenkins is an excellent Mayor. I once served on the Townsend Planning Commission. That was enough of politics for me. I prefer to be an active citizen though sometimes that is not easy either. You can't keep everyone happy with what you do no matter how hard you try.

Byron

Mountain_Ghillie
02-07-2009, 07:44 AM
What do the majority of people who flyfish in the smokies do for sleeping. Cabin , tent , camper. Thinking of buying a pop up camper that design for the back country. What can you expect to pay for a cabin or hotel or B and B ?