PDA

View Full Version : Go-to flies for waters you've never fished

Worrgamesguy
01-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm going to fish at Nice Mill dam sometime later, because they just stocked on the 12th. The water is still pretty high and fast, but in the meantime I need fly advice for all kinds of waters.

What flies are an absolute MUST for waters you've never fished before? Please list every possible fly you could not live without, both wet, dry, and streamers. As I see more posts with common flies, I will edit them into the bottom of this post for others to use as a reference, and for me to remember :p

Skipjack
01-05-2009, 08:54 PM
HI Trey
My son-in-law and I fishied the Obey this past Saturday and caught 4 rainbow. They were not large trout, all in the range of 10" ----but we lost two trout that borke off and we both know they were larger than 10". We did not know the water temp. but our feet was just about num after 20 minutes or so. We were using black and silver and copper midges number 18 size with a 6X tippet--using an indicator about 14" from the midge. The water was slow flow but no more than knee deep in most places--we fished at the moody point access. There was one other fisherman wading but we did'nt see him catching anything. If you can stand the cold water you can catch trout. Really a beautiful place to fish. Good Luck.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/styles/smartbrown/misc/progress.gif

92Esquire
01-05-2009, 09:25 PM
My first go-to is a size 16 Sparkle Pheasant Tail, as shown at:
http://hipwader.com/2003/sparkle-pheasant-tail-nymph

I also always have zebra midges in black/silver, black/red, and olive/gold in size 18 and 20, brassies in size 22, Copper Johns and Hare's Ears in 14 and 16, and a simple peacock herl/gold wire ribbed midge in 18.

For dries I always have size 14 Stimulators, size 14 and 16 Elk Hair Caddis, size 14 and 16 Parachute Adams, and size 14 and 16 Parachute Hare's Ears. Also a hopper or two and a couple of foam beetles.

I rarely fish streamers, but I always carry a couple of size 8 and 10 olive wooly buggers, and a white Zuddler.

If I'm going near warm water or salt water, I've got chartreuse/white and olive/white clousers in 4 - 1/0, a couple crease flies, a couple Gurglers, and a handful of wooly buggers.

ChemEAngler
01-05-2009, 10:00 PM
My first go-to is a size 16 Sparkle Pheasant Tail, as shown at:
http://hipwader.com/2003/sparkle-pheasant-tail-nymph

I also always have zebra midges in black/silver, black/red, and olive/gold in size 18 and 20, brassies in size 22, Copper Johns and Hare's Ears in 14 and 16, and a simple peacock herl/gold wire ribbed midge in 18.

For dries I always have size 14 Stimulators, size 14 and 16 Elk Hair Caddis, size 14 and 16 Parachute Adams, and size 14 and 16 Parachute Hare's Ears. Also a hopper or two and a couple of foam beetles.

I rarely fish streamers, but I always carry a couple of size 8 and 10 olive wooly buggers, and a white Zuddler.

If I'm going near warm water or salt water, I've got chartreuse/white and olive/white clousers in 4 - 1/0, a couple crease flies, a couple Gurglers, and a handful of wooly buggers.

I have to agree with 92Esquire, my fly box looks very similar to his. However, if I can only use 1 fly on unfamiliar water it will probably be a #16 BHPT.

Travis

David Knapp
01-05-2009, 11:10 PM
For me it totally depends on what type of water I'm visiting. Tailwaters are totally different from when I visit the mountains but fortunately I've got everything to cover both situations in just a couple of boxes. For recent stockers like you're talking about, I have a few flies that work great. Small streamer or wet flies work well. Remember that freshly stocked fish haven't learned everything there is to know about bugs yet so something with a little flash or movement is good for these fish... Small woolly buggers are good, copper johns can be good, and I always seem to have some luck with small Simi Seal Leeches...

Worrgamesguy
01-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Well guys, this is what Nice Mill looks like:

http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/op/jpp/rec/gallery/fishermen%20at%20Nices%20Mill%20Dam.jpg

There is a rock wall that is submerged in this picture, so the water there is deep and fast. But the waterflow now is shallower but faster because the water does not go over the dam like pictured. Where the man is standing in water towards the back of the picture is a flat rock bottom for about 10 feet, and it drops to about 4' but the waterflow is the fastest around there. It's part of the Stones River, so it's no tailwater.

And keep in mind I don't tie, so these flies you mention should be readily available.

David Knapp
01-06-2009, 12:21 AM
And keep in mind I don't tie, so these flies you mention should be readily available.

You need to start tying and then I'll send you a couple secret patterns for stocker 'bows that are just killer...:biggrin: Or remind me next time we fish and I'll give you a couple...:cool:

Worrgamesguy
01-06-2009, 11:19 AM
You need to start tying and then I'll send you a couple secret patterns for stocker 'bows that are just killer...:biggrin: Or remind me next time we fish and I'll give you a couple...:cool:

As soon as I pay off my kayak I'm starting my vice and materials fund. I'm tired of paying $2 per zebra midge. I'd like to create a few of my own but that probably won't be well until next summer.

ChemEAngler
01-06-2009, 12:14 PM
As soon as I pay off my kayak I'm starting my vice and materials fund. I'm tired of paying $2 per zebra midge. I'd like to create a few of my own but that probably won't be well until next summer.

Trey,
I will look around when I get home and see if I can find one of my starter vises. I have a couple, and you are more than welcome to have one if you would like it. I will shoot you an email with the details if I find it, that means if my wife hasn't thrown it away yet.

Travis

Wilson10
01-06-2009, 02:27 PM
If I'm going to fish new water and was only allowed one fly...

#16 BHPT for sure.

Gerry Romer
01-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Quote: You need to start tying and then I'll send you a couple secret patterns for stocker 'bows that are just killer...:biggrin: Or remind me next time we fish and I'll give you a couple...:cool: ... Plateau Angler

Hey, David --

I have a new "secret pattern" I've been working on and I'd love for you to give it a workout. Can you shoot me an e-mail or give me a call so I can send you some? Or, if you're coming to watch Tim Doyle this Sunday at LRO I can get them to you there.

I have a feeling these are gonna work really well in some of the slack water near Happy Hollow and on towards Betty's Island. I'm anxious to see what you can do with them!

Gerry

PeteCz
01-06-2009, 02:53 PM
David...I'm anxious to see what you can do with them!
OK Gerry...Honestly...giving them to David is not much of a test...I believe he could catch monster fish with oak leaves duct taped to a rusty 16p nail....

:biggrin:

Worrgamesguy
01-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Trey,
I will look around when I get home and see if I can find one of my starter vises. I have a couple, and you are more than welcome to have one if you would like it. I will shoot you an email with the details if I find it, that means if my wife hasn't thrown it away yet.

Travis

I couldn't take that from you. but your offer is more than generous. I'm one of those types who have great difficulty accepting gifts that aren't going to be repaid. I would pay you, however.

OK Gerry...Honestly...giving them to David is not much of a test...I believe he could catch monster fish with oak leaves duct taped to a rusty 16p nail....

I could see that :p

Gerry Romer
01-06-2009, 04:02 PM

Actually, I did see him do that one time up on Lynn Camp Prong. The line he was using was just a strand from an old cable he found sticking up out of a tree trunk that must have been left over from an old logging operation. (No way he was gonna let a monster 'bow break him off again!)

I just thought my way would give the fish a sporting chance :rolleyes:

flynut
01-09-2009, 12:56 PM
For Trout:

Zebra midges.
Pheasant Tails.
Wooly Buggers.

Bass:

Wooly Buggers.
Clousers.
POPPERS...if you are fishing for bass, you NEED at least a couple poppers!

Worrgamesguy
01-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I can understand those. Everytime I cast to rising bass at a local pond they shy away (with a popper, that is).