PDA

View Full Version : felt-soled

Treecatcher2
01-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Just got my copy of Trout and saw the article on TU trying to get the manufacturers to stop making felt sold waders/boots. While this should be a boon to the makers and I guess the retailers, how big of an issue is this for the folks who don't wing off to Montana one week and Pennsylvania the next and then back to East TN and Western NC to round out the month?

Not to sound pedestrian about the topic but since I only have one stream that I can get to on any regular basis, it seams to me that the microcosmic gunk that I have on my boots I got from that stream and thats where my boots will be headed again even after being cleaned when I get home. Am I misinformed?

MtnMike
01-06-2009, 10:00 AM
I have been waiting on the new Vibram-soled Simms to come out. My boots have been needing replaced for a while now and I was about to buy a new pair when Simms announced the new Vibram soles. I am still skeptical as to their ability to perform like felt, but if they come close I think it will be a fair trade-off for me.
I fish mostly in the South Holston tailwater and it is full of didymo. I try to clean my gear, but if something will help keep me from spreading that stuff elswhere, I'm all for it. I don't do much traveling, but I do hope to make a trip out west one day, And I would like to take my regular gear.
I'm still not convinced that I will buy them, because they are expensive and I am worried about the durability issue. How long will that sole provide good traction? But if I don't buy a pair before these make it to the store I will be looking at them very closely.
I understand that this will be the last year that Simms offers felt-soles.
If you have ever fished a stream full of didymo, you can understand the concern.
Just my thoughts. Would love to hear from others.
Mike

kytroutman
01-06-2009, 10:37 AM
The question I have, when felt soles wear out, you replace the felt. When the rubber soles wear out, you're buying another pair of boots. Unless of course you're looking at the Korkers with the inter-changeable soles. Also, everything we wear, the boots and the waders are porous materials, so everything is a contact surface for potential contaminants.

Tarheelflyfishing
01-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Whirling disease was horrible in Montana back in the early 90's. The worst thing a fly fisherman can do is not clean their wading gear after each trip, and between each stream. Felt can actually hold in algae, mud, sand particles, and small organisms.

James Buice
01-06-2009, 10:56 PM
The new Vibram soles are pretty cool. Cloudveil and Simms both have an exclusive on the Vibram sole. I've been wearing the Cloudveil version prototypes for several months now. They're very grippy. What I like is they let me walk on leaves and through mud much better than felt. Even wore them duck hunting several times.

To answer your question on the rubber soles wearing out. I can tell you this, by the time the you wear out the Vibrams, your boots will be done for. That stuff is tough as nails.

James

Grannyknot
01-07-2009, 09:16 AM
You would think that stuff would die or decay if you kept your gear in a dry ventilated room for a 4-5 days between trips.

I have heard the same thing about boats, especially ones that have scuffed bottoms, where the organisms can latch on.

kytroutman
01-07-2009, 09:22 AM
James, how are they on round, slick rocks?

James Buice
01-07-2009, 11:38 AM
They hold fine on the slick, round rocks in the Smokies. The place I did find they slipped were on that green, translucent slim that nothing sticks to all that well, even felt. Mostly on tailwaters. I fish them all over the Raven's Fork, Davidson, Little River, S Holston, and Caney Fork as well as around the house on the Toccoa and Chattahoochee. They seemed to grip as well as felt in most conditions. I don't think it's as 'grippy' as felt in all conditions, but it's dang close and when hiking along the creek or over rocks, they're far more comfortable. Don't know how they'd grip with studs, I'm just not a fan of studs here in the SE.

J

MtnMike
01-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the input James. I wade mostly on the South Holston and I'm hoping they will work out there. I'm not a fan of studs. If they hold on the rocks I can definitely see advantages while walking up the trails in places like the smokies.

Mike

ChemEAngler
01-07-2009, 03:43 PM
I have been using a pair of studded felt boots on the Clinch for years. Really grips well to the Rock Snot covered bottom. I feel very stable wearing them, and probably will not fish the Clinch or SoHo again without studs. I am going to ask Daniel to order me a pair of the Aquastealth studded soles for my Korkers to try. I think they will work just fine for the Clinch and SoHo. I am not a fan of studs on the freestone streams however.

Wilson10
01-08-2009, 12:05 PM
I can't tell anyone about studs...I've never had any.

I will however be getting a pair of Korkers with interchangable soles for my next boots! Shouldn't need them for a while tho Unless our local tailwaters/parks decide to put a ban on felt soles

hw3
02-06-2009, 03:34 PM
What is the protocol for cleaning between streams? I seem to remember a bleach/water slurry soaking regimen, but not sure of proportions and times. This was the school solution for a while, anyone remember it? Any F&W Services banned felt on a blanket or stream basis? Any guides prohibiting them? If rubber becomes default sole, will be overtaken by events when that is all that is available for sale. Watson

Milton
02-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Not to sound pedestrian about the topic but since I only have one stream that I can get to on any regular basis, it seams to me that the microcosmic gunk that I have on my boots I got from that stream and thats where my boots will be headed again even after being cleaned when I get home. Am I misinformed?

Treecatcher-

To get back to your original question, I think you've got it figured right. If you're not transferring cooties from one stream to another, there's no problem.

-Milton

MBWCC
02-06-2009, 10:43 PM
You would think that stuff would die or decay if you kept your gear in a dry ventilated room for a 4-5 days between trips.Of late I have been reading technical papers regarding whirling disease. The thing that struck me was a paper that found whirling disease spores surviving 30 years of freeze-thaw temperature cycles and drought/wet cycles.