PDA

View Full Version : NWS-Winter Weather Warning for Townsend

Tarheelflyfishing
01-07-2009, 05:08 PM
The NWS is forecasting 1-3 inches for Townsend and surrounding areas. More water for the streams once it melts...Sigh....

Plunker
01-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Tarheel,
I just want to take this opportunity to compliment you on the things you do. It is a pleasure to see the wealth of information and insight you have added to this board since you have become a member.
It is also a great pleaseure to see a young man take on such responsibility, and passion for all he does. Please don't be offended, I promise I'm not patronizing you, but your folks should be very proud to have raised such an avid, conscientous, and intellegent young man. You set an example that us old guys often need to be reminded of...thank you for all you do...many successes on life's road await you Sir.

I wish I could send my 18 yo nephew to learn a few things from you.:biggrin:

Tarheelflyfishing
01-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Hey Plunker, thanks a lot...it's nice to be able to talk to other fly fisherman when not on the river. You guys have answered a lot of my questions...not just me answering. You folks have A LOT more experience than I do... I'm still learning. I hope to see you guys at Troutfest in May. All I can say is.........:redface::redface::redface::biggrin:

Thanks again and take care,
Tar Heel

milligan trout degree
01-07-2009, 09:22 PM
tarheel,

what's the bass/bluegill/crappie/gar/carp (basically anything) fishing like around kannapolis and concord? I spend quite a bit of time down there in the summer visiting my girlfriend

Tarheelflyfishing
01-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Actually the Bass fishing is excellent(all largemouths, no smallies). Lake Norman, Lake Wylie, Lake Tillery, High Rock Lake, and Mountain Island are great bass/bluegill/crappie/carp fisheries. Don't know about gar...I've never dangled my leg off of the the dock to see....:eek:
If it gets any colder over here I'll put some trout in the stream near my house...;):biggrin: WX folks are mentioning the chance for low temps getting down to near 0...ZERO....here in Kannapolis. When's it getting warmer Al?!?!

milligan trout degree
01-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Brutal temps...makes for some tough fishing for warmwater species. Gar are on my summer to do list this year. They're usually aggressive as heck and im pretty sure I can get them to take an unweighted zonker. I know where to find them in early summer and a few places mid summer. Biggest problem will be getting a hook into them. Bass and carp are also high on the to do list this summer thanks to a new pontoon boat and an 8wt rod.

Carolina Boy
01-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Talked to a guide/TFO rep from Ga who chases gar down there, he ties a huge fly pattern that works for gar the wild thing about it is that it doesn't have a hook! The pattern is tied with a long silky type material that when eaten entangles the fish's teeth making it unable to release it. Pretty wierd stuff. I got his card at home but I bet he is the TFO rep for LRO as he works the region, Byron knows him I am sure. His name is Kent, don't remember if that is his first or last name but he works for TFO and is out of Ga south of Atl. He could key you in on what the gar fly material is.

milligan trout degree
01-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Talked to a guide/TFO rep from Ga who chases gar down there, he ties a huge fly pattern that works for gar the wild thing about it is that it doesn't have a hook! The pattern is tied with a long silky type material that when eaten entangles the fish's teeth making it unable to release it. Pretty wierd stuff. I got his card at home but I bet he is the TFO rep for LRO as he works the region, Byron knows him I am sure. His name is Kent, don't remember if that is his first or last name but he works for TFO and is out of Ga south of Atl. He could key you in on what the gar fly material is.

I've read a little about that when i've googled fly fishing for gar. They were tied using rope, but it wasnt very specific about the style of the fly or the tipe of rope. A couple summers ago I ran into a pod of gar back in a cove while bass fishing and thought what the heck? I threw a shallow water crank bait at them and had fish chasing on every cast. The hookups were tough but every now and then on of the treble hooks would land in the snout and it was fish on. They put up a great fight and all the fish were between two and three feet long. (wish i could say that while trout fishing).

Gatorbaiter
01-08-2009, 03:42 PM
any braided rope or string will do - the more braids the better - I used nylon - had a blast