PDA

View Full Version : Somebody Talk me out of it!

MickinMS
01-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Ok, I have gotten the bug to build my own fly rod. I am a new member of the Mid-Sotuh Fly Fishers and in our monthly newsletter they announced a rod building class. I have never been remotely interested in building a rod, but now for some reason I can't get it out of my head. To make it worse, I have the itch to build a glass rod. Am I crazy! SOmebody talk me out of it. I need another hobby like a hole in my head!

gmreeves
01-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Build it! And build a glass rod if you want. If you don't like it when you are done, build a graphite rod. You can never build just one.

MickinMS
01-08-2009, 06:19 PM
How hard is it? Am I going to get addicted and end up spending more money on gear? If so, I am in!!!

buckeyetrouter
01-08-2009, 07:48 PM
:cool:Just Do It.....(hmmmm, that could be a great advertisement for someone), anyways Christmas 2007 I built my fist fly rod from a kit. I wanted something special to give to my Daughter (who moved to the Smokies before the ole man did) and I love it and she loved it. I even built the jig for wrapping the eyelets and it works really good.....I plan on making a Sage rod for myself (don't know why but I've always wanted a Sage) and then a few sprinning rods for my Father.....You should love it and anyone who may get a rod from you as a gift with cherish it......

God Bless & Good Fishing
Bob

gmreeves
01-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Putting a graphite rod together is not difficult at all. If you tie flies and have a some attention to detail your rods will most likely come out looking better than factory rods. I never paid any attention to the quality of manufacured rods before I started building and now I look at them with a close eye. It is amazing at the poor quality that some big manufacturers put out.

MickinMS
01-09-2009, 11:57 AM
I do tie flies so I guess I can handle it. What about fiberglass, is it more difficult? I was looking at buying a Lamiglass blank (the honey colored one). Does anyone know if they come in 7 weight? I want to make it a warm water rod.

gmreeves
01-09-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't think fiberglass will differ any from a graphite rod. If you are going to buy all of the components, it will be a very easy build. Now you can make it more complicated and buy cork rings and shape the grip yourself. If you have a lathe, you can turn your own wood insert. Other than that, it is only a matter of wrapping the guides and gluing the handle and reel seat on. There are a lot of books and info on the web about rod building. If you go to www.rodbuildingforum.com (http://www.rodbuildingforum.com), you will get all of your questions answered by some very knowledgeable builders.

Troutman
01-09-2009, 12:30 PM
The lamiglass honey blanks are from 3-5 wt only. They are full flexing rods. I have a 7' 3wt 2piece and a 7'6" 4wt 3piece. The 4wt is actually slower than the 3wt due to the extra length and spigot ferrules. Honeys are e-glass which is thicker and more flexing than the lighter and faster s-glass.
I have owned a glass 8' 7wt before and it worked well for bass but sold it and now use a 7.5 ft 6wt. I throw up to a size 1 popper out to normal fishing ranges of 40-60 ft. These are older 1970s models of the fenwick feralite series. Fiberglass works best in the 3-6 wt range and from 7-8 ft lengths.
You should go to fiberglass flyrodders forum for more info on building and choosing a rod if your interested in glass.
Here is a pict. of my lamiglass honeys and the other is of my Fenwick glass.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/reels003.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/Smallies08047-1.jpg

MickinMS
01-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Troutman - Those are beautiful rods. I think I will go with a 4wt to fill in some of my rod gaps. What do you call the type of grip you have on your Lami rods. Those look very cool.

Troutman
01-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I had the 4wt built for me by a custom rod maker out in Wyoming. I told him what I wanted and sent some pictures of what I liked. He did a great job and I am very pleased with it. He hand shaped the cork grip.
The 3wt (lower rod in the top picture) is one I did. I bought the handle kit from janns net craft cat # 250734 http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fly-rod-handle-kits/ and installed it myself.
I use the 4wt for tailwater trout and the 3wt for mtn fishing and bream in the warmwaters. nothing like a bluegill on a full flexing rod!
The handles are called cigar grips
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/rodpicts011.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/TROUT2009012.jpg

gmreeves
01-09-2009, 05:09 PM
I used the same reel seat from Jann's Netcraft on a 2 wt I built for my brother. Nice little handle for the price.

jeffnles1
01-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Somebody Talk me out of it!

Don't do it.

OK, I tried. Are you going to post pictures of the rods you build?

Jeff

pigeonflys
01-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Talk about cant get it off your mind.I had it in my mind to build a Bamboo rod,couldent get it out of my mind for 5 years.I built a Graphit rod,then I rebuilt 4 or 5 Bamboo rods,then I ordered new Bamboo blanks,and built a great little rod,Then,this past Summer,I took a class in WVA,and built my first set of Bamboo blanks,and will finish it this winter.It a Dickerson 6611 3wt.
Bob

flyred06
01-27-2009, 10:49 AM
I hope this is not the wrong place to mention this but look up Bill Oyster and look at the classes that he offers. 6 days and all the material supplied with fishing included for a class price. Just do a google search for oyster bamboo rods. If you are wanting to build a rod and ever wanted a quality cane rod along with a vacation this would be it.:eek:

MickinMS
01-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Well, I have decided to take the plunge and do it. Now I am trying to decide what to build. I have a 3, 5, 6,7 and 9 weight. Because of where I live (n.MS) most of my fishing is for largemouth. I am planning a couple of salt trips this spring and summer so I think I am going to build an 8 weight. Then I will try a 4 weight to round out my arsenal.

Any thoughts on the Lamiglass Perigree, TFO professional or TFO Ticr blanks for an eight weight. I have a TFO Pro 3 weight and 5 weight and like them for what I use them for but this eight weight will be for big bugs and battling the wind. ANy thoughts?

flyred06
01-27-2009, 01:21 PM
TICR all the way. Fast enough for flats fishing for reds and still subtle enough for bass. That is just my 2 cents worth.

jeffnles1
01-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Well, I have decided to take the plunge and do it.

They never listen. We tried to talk him out of it. We really did.

Jeff

flyred06
01-27-2009, 05:13 PM
When he gets addicted, he is going to blame us. He will ask why did you not stop me? We have seen this kind before. Seriously, we want to see pics when you are done. Good luck.

MickinMS
01-27-2009, 05:22 PM
I will post pics unless it is so hideous that it breaks the camera. I won't start my class until late February, but I may not be able to wait. I have been surfing the net and bought a book last week. I have built my wrapping jig and I am working on my drying motor by trying to create a converter for my fly drying wheel.

Hi my name is Mickey (Hi Mickey!) and I am a rod building addict...just practicing.

Thanks for nothing guys! :smile:

gmreeves
01-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Done for . . . .

Stonefly
01-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Have you seen the Dale Clemens book? May be a little dated now, but the theory is probably still good.

sb

RShaw
01-29-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm a big fan of TFO blanks. They have always done well for me. If you need any help or advise (epoxy ramps or feather enlays). Feel free to contact me. I was bitten by this bug a long time ago and I love to pass it on.

MickinMS
01-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks RShaw. I appreciate the offer!

RodBldr
02-02-2009, 12:20 AM
When I started rodbuilding i had tons of questions. You will find rodbuilders are usually happy to help if they can. The most important thing is have fun and get the first one built. Then as your skills improve you can try different things which will become your style.

MickinMS
02-02-2009, 10:37 AM
I bit the bullet and placed my order with MudHole. I ordered a TFO TiCr 9' 8 wgt. I also ordered an aluminum reel set, fullwell grip with cutout, 2 stripper guides (sizes recommended by TFO), matching tip top and single foot guides. I am going to wrap it in black thread with an electric blue trim line.

I am sure I will have tons of questions, so I appreciate any help you guys can give.

I am an obsessive guy when comes to projects like this so it is no suprise that I lost sleep last night over the following questions. Please help!

1. Do you start measuring your guides from the bottom of the tip top itself or the bottom of the loop on the tip top.

2. This rod is going to have a fighting butt. How do I measure to determine where the grip goes? I have read several different lessons on line and I purchased a book that talks about it, but I need something really simple.

Thanks in advance.

RodBldr
02-02-2009, 08:36 PM
(1) Just measure from the top of loop. This is not critical. Just get as close as you can because you will want to do a static test after the guides are located anyway. Put your reel seat and grip on first, then your tip top. Then tape your guides at the locations you have measured. Then put a reel on it and run your line through the guides. Flex the rod and see that the line path is correct.

(2) I typically don't use fighting butts. Others may be more familiar with these than me. I think all you need to do is make sure the blank is recessed in the grip enough to allow for the butt pin.

RShaw
02-04-2009, 01:49 PM
RodBldr is correct. The only thing I would add is to make sure you find the spine first. The butt section won't have much if any flex so you can put the reel seat on first making sure the fighting butt insert has enough room. (I epoxy the insert in right after the epoxy cures for the reel seat). Then fit the grip and then start laying out your guides.

MickinMS
02-06-2009, 02:03 PM
My new project arrived from MudHole on Wednesday. So on wednesday night, I got evertything out of the box, laid it out to make sure I had everything...then I was paralyzed by fear wondering all the ways I could screw up. :frown:

Went to bed...woke up the next day and decided the only way to get there is to take the first step.:rolleyes: So last night I started my project in ernest. I found the spine, at least I think I did, on all four pieces and marked them. I had to do some work on the grip to get the recess big enough for the recessed reel set and I had to bore out the hole. Got the the grip on and got the fighting butt epoxied onto the reel seat. I am feeling a little more confident now.:smile:

Tonight I plan to put on the tip top and start wrapping the 'female' ferrules. I hope am still as confident in the morning.

Thanks for all the helpful hints, keep 'em coming!

gmreeves
02-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Great job. The hardest part of any job is getting started. Try not to get too overwhelmed and over think any of it. That is easy to do but it takes away from the joy of the process. Remember, there are a lot of great resources on the net that can help you with questions plus the others that have helped you out from this thread. It sounds like you made a lot of progress already. You will be fishing it before you know it.

MickinMS
02-07-2009, 12:23 AM
ferrule wraps and tip top are on. Looking pretty good...hope I don't get cocky.

MickinMS
02-12-2009, 10:30 AM
A have put on the epoxy and a few of my wraps don't look as good as I would like. The epoxy is uneven. I am sure that the rod is fully functional, but I want it to look good as well. What can I do? I read somewhere that you can file down the lumps, wipe with denatured alcohol and put a fresh layer of epoxy. Does that sound right?

RShaw
02-16-2009, 01:31 PM
It sounds like your epoxy started to set up on you. What type are you using? There are a bunch of things that can be done. Is it one or two wraps that aren't level or is it through the entire rod? Check out www.rodbuilding.org (http://www.rodbuilding.org/) There is a lot of great info there. If it was me and (I'm very picky with what I build) I would take a razor blade or exacto knife and cut the wraps off by sliding the blade down the guide foot and peeling the rest of the wrap off (donít cut into the blank). If every wrap is uneven it will be time consuming but I would want to start over again (check that web site because they may have better options then what I'm saying). When you apply the epoxy next use an alcohol burning candle to add a little heat to help even out you epoxy after you apply it to each wrap. Heat lowers the viscosity of the epoxy and it will also take care of any bubbles you may have enclosed in the epoxy. With a first time rod builder and a 9 foot fly rod itís hard to keep the epoxy from setting up on you before you get through the rod. I use to mix epoxy two times for a fly rod. I would do half the rod and then mix up some more and finish the rod off.

Mundele
10-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Anyone used one of these all cork handles/reel seats? Thinking about using one on a 3wt blank I just ordered. Curious how secure the reel is with that slip ring attachment. Also, how will the cork handle take wear? Should I use a sealant on it?

I had the 4wt built for me by a custom rod maker out in Wyoming. I told him what I wanted and sent some pictures of what I liked. He did a great job and I am very pleased with it. He hand shaped the cork grip.
The 3wt (lower rod in the top picture) is one I did. I bought the handle kit from janns net craft cat # 250734 http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fly-rod-handle-kits/ and installed it myself.
I use the 4wt for tailwater trout and the 3wt for mtn fishing and bream in the warmwaters. nothing like a bluegill on a full flexing rod!
The handles are called cigar grips
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/rodpicts011.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/TROUT2009012.jpg

Stonefly
10-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Curious how secure the reel is with that slip ring attachment.

I have a 4# rod with slip rings and it holds the reel perfectly, no slippage. I think as long as the rings are correct size, you'll be fine. Makes for a very light-weight rig.

steve

silvercreek
10-30-2009, 09:02 AM
I agree with Stonefly. I have an older Orvis 3wt Tippit rod that uses this system. No worries.

Mundele
10-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Great. I'm gonna build a 3wt rod using one of those handles. Are there any other available handles of that type, or do most folks make their own?

--Matt