PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions?

Bugbiter
01-08-2009, 07:39 PM
I am heading down to the Park in the third weekend of January. Does anyone have a suggestion on what water would be best to focus on and any particular fly to try? I understand the water levels can change alot by then, hopefully go down by the sounds of things, but any fly work good for winter monthes or one stream more productive than another? Any help would be much appreciated. I haven't gotten to fish this area yet, but am looking forward to it.
Thanks in advance.

troutslayer3393
01-08-2009, 07:53 PM
If I were you I would fish the west prong of the Little River. BHPT's are good here along with all types of nymphs. If the water is still high I would try some streamers also. In downtown gatlinburg they have stocked some MASSIVE rainbows. 20 inches and better. I would give that a shot. If you visit on the weekdays any, that would be the time to go to g-burg since it can be crowded. San Juan worms work really well here.

Hope you catch a big one, Lee

buckeyetrouter
01-08-2009, 07:54 PM
1st - stop into Little River Outfitters
2nd - Dont be afraid to ask questions, the staff is incredible and they know there are no goofy questions (I already asked them all)
3rd - Enjoy - Enjoy - Enjoy

Seriously, the folks at LRO can point you in the direction and let you know what your chances are and the best method/flies to use. They will treat you like long lost family.......

God Bless & Good Fishing
Bob

troutslayer3393
01-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Amen to that...they will definitely treat you like family.

Bugbiter
01-08-2009, 08:07 PM
I have already found out how helpful they can be. I talked to them and they told me how helpful you all are. They told me to stop in when I arrived to get more up to date info on the streams. I just had some extra time and was tying some flies and thought I might tie some for this trip.

flyguys
01-08-2009, 09:09 PM
If you fish in Gatlinburg city limits, be sure to get your special permit for fishing within the city limts. Maybe a couple of bucks, I can't remember exactly. You can get them at several locations in the city limits. flyguys.

Tarheelflyfishing
01-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Late January is a great time to fish despite the sometimes cold and snow. Try the Little River, and fish the slow pools that are in the direct sunlight if the day is cold. Use streamers (wooly Buggers, clousers, Sculpins, any of Kelly Galloup's streamers, e.t.c). Also BHPT nymphs sizes 16-22 will work along w/ any Baetis/BWO nymph in #18-22. If the water/air is cold, the trout simply will not move much, so getting your fly down to the bottom is most important. If your not hanging up on the bottom of the stream, add more split shot.
Hope you get a pig on the end of your rig....:biggrin: