PDA

View Full Version : gatlinburg rainbows

lauxier
01-09-2009, 12:32 PM
I read with interest the reply by a member about large trout stocked in the gatlinburg waters.when were the 20 inch rainbows stocked in gatlinburg's waters?where does the stocked gatlinburg waters begin and end?what fly's work best in these waters??That size rainbow makes for some pretty good fun if you can hook one.

Bran
01-09-2009, 03:28 PM
They turn loose the brood fish every so often in the kid's sections but they end up sometime in those deeper holes. I've caught some beaties up there mostly on BHPT sz12 or so, double rigged or dry/ dropper rig on my 4 and 5 weights.

troutslayer3393
01-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Every year in the winter months they stock their brood fish in the downtown part of Gatlinburg. Both Youth and Adult Streams. They change the regulations in the winter months to catch and release which drives the bait fisherman away. My favorite place to fish is the bridge above the Ripleys Aquarium Bridge. There are some monster fish in there. I usually enter the water at some stairs halfway between the two bridges. They love red san juan worms and hares ear nymphs. Anything with flash, they will hit. Remember to buy the Gatlinburg day pass though.

Lee

Worrgamesguy
01-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Every year in the winter months they stock their brood fish in the downtown part of Gatlinburg. Both Youth and Adult Streams. They change the regulations in the winter months to catch and release which drives the bait fisherman away. My favorite place to fish is the bridge above the Ripleys Aquarium Bridge. There are some monster fish in there. I usually enter the water at some stairs halfway between the two bridges. They love red san juan worms and hares ear nymphs. Anything with flash, they will hit. Remember to buy the Gatlinburg day pass though.

Lee

That makes me sick, I was just there for New Years. If I had known :mad:

What is it like fishing in downtown? I'd be embarrassed with all the people watching.

troutslayer3393
01-09-2009, 04:54 PM
The Fishing has been great. I don't know about now since all of the rain. The catch and release of over 20 inch fish shocks a lot of tourists watching you, and they usually ask why. I have learned to ignore them after awhile. But when you fish between the bridges you tend to not get bothered. You should try it when you get a chance....just remember to post your pictures:biggrin:

Lee

Worrgamesguy
01-09-2009, 04:57 PM
When did you get out of school? Oh, I always forget you are on the eastern time zone. I get out of school 2 hours earlier because I'm in co-op, I have to go into work in an hour. I would hate being watched while I'm fishing. It's different than looking at someone on the stream when they catch a fish, I would feel like an animal at the zoo with kids pressing their nose to the glass. I definitely wanna know some hotspots around downtown though.

troutslayer3393
01-09-2009, 05:10 PM
When did you get out of school? Oh, I always forget you are on the eastern time zone. I get out of school 2 hours earlier because I'm in co-op, I have to go into work in an hour. I would hate being watched while I'm fishing. It's different than looking at someone on the stream when they catch a fish, I would feel like an animal at the zoo with kids pressing their nose to the glass. I definitely wanna know some hotspots around downtown though.

Ya that's one of the downs, those tourists can get pretty annoying. Last time I was there there was a team of Karate kids staying in a motel that I was fishing by. They came out on the bridge and wouldn't leave me alone. Then one of the kids threw a rock in the water right on top of the trout that I was fishing for. I was about to make the kid take the same path that the rock did.

tnflyguy
01-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Me and a buddy of mine were planning on fishing in gatlinburg on monday, after reading the recent posts of the stocking of the bigger fish. Does anyone know where I might find these fish other than in front of the aquarium, or would this be my best bet? I am just tyring to get a few more ideas in case I don't seem to catch any at this spot. I have never fished in gatlinburg so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know how the water levels are in gatlinburg, would it even be fishable on monday?

Speckleman5
01-11-2009, 11:40 AM
I went with a friend who is in grad school to plot some hemlocks at the top of Anthony Creek on Wednesday. The water elvels in Gatlinburg were fine and fishable. The Little River was still a bit high and swift but the LP was in great shape.