PDA

View Full Version : high water pictures???

flyguys
01-09-2009, 01:15 PM
If anyone has any recent pictures of the high river levels, we would love to see them. I can't imagine the levels that have been posted. It would be a sight to see. I hope no one has suffered any flood damage. Try to stay dry and safe when fishing.:smile:

old tom
01-09-2009, 02:45 PM
(http://www.randrflyfishing.com/2009/01/07/when-it-rains-it-pours/)

flyguys
01-09-2009, 03:21 PM
I knew it had rained alot out there, but holy cow!! I can't believe all the water in the rivers. The last time we were out was in October, I can't believe the difference. What effect will this have on the trout population?? It seems to me, the untrained eye, that it could have a negative impact on the population. HOLD ON TROUT!!!!!:eek:

David Knapp
01-09-2009, 04:50 PM
I knew it had rained alot out there, but holy cow!! I can't believe all the water in the rivers. The last time we were out was in October, I can't believe the difference. What effect will this have on the trout population?? It seems to me, the untrained eye, that it could have a negative impact on the population. HOLD ON TROUT!!!!!:eek:

The trout are used to dealing with high water and it should be a good thing except for maybe the brown trout eggs from the recent spawn. Otherwise, if it does move fish which it probably will some, it will help spread them downriver. During the drought, the fish in the lower elevations did not do very well. The large amount of water should help push some fish downstream to repopulate the lower portions of streams such as Little River. Remember though, like I said at first, the fish are built for fast water so it shouldn't hurt them too much...

jeffnles1
01-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Even though rainbows and browns are very recent arrivals, the brookies have been in these waters most likely before the first human laid eyes on the mountains. If not before, at least about the same time. From what I've read, they are hold overs from the last ice age at least 10,000 years ago.

I'm sure this is not the first flood nor will it be the last. God has equipped these critters with what they need to survive. Sure, some of the very young, very old, and very weak will perish but the healthy populations will survive and will even be stronger.

The recently laid eggs may be washed away but somehow, I doubt that will keep some from hatching. I cannot imagine anything in nature being so fragile that a simple flood would kill off an entire year's young. Then again, perhaps this is just another way to endure the strong survive and the weak do not.

I feel very bad for folks who may have lost property along the river. Also for anyone who may have traveled to the mountains to fish, but as for the river itself, this is completely natural and an act of God. It is as it should be.

Jeff

Speckleman5
01-10-2009, 04:39 PM
I was thinking about how maybe since the brown have done so well with the drought......that maybe this high water will thin out this year's hatch and perhaps get it back to normal. I dunno just a thought.

PeteCz
01-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Hopefully this will push some of the Brookies back down into the WPLP Gorge and Chimney Tops Picnic Area...

Speckleman5
01-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Can't wait to try I've been getting lazy...

nvr2L8
01-10-2009, 07:29 PM
I like the way you think, Pete. I'm ready to get the brookies back down into the gorge.