PDA

View Full Version : LR Water Temp

PeteCz
01-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Does anyone else use the USGS Real-Time Water Data site? I've been watching it lately and I have a hard time believing the water temp data. Right now on the LR in Townsend it's showing 14.2C (57.6F). How is that possible?

Here is the link (http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tn/nwis/uv/?site_no=03497300&)

Its been cold and it hasn't even made it to 50 for the last couple of days in Maryville. Tuesday night the water temp hit 19C (66F). That doesn't seem right?

Am I reading the chart wrong or could the recorder/guage somehow got out of whack?

nvr2L8
01-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Pete,

The temperature gage at the Y is messed up. A couple of weeks ago it was registering in the high 60's. Byron has started taking the temperature himself down at the river in Townsend so the temp on the Fishing Report is accurate. Instead of 56 this morning it was 42. The only thing the charts on the website are good for right now is trends.

D-Drake
01-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Pete,

The flow level for the gauge at the "Y" seems to be accurate. I looked at the level this morning when I took the temp. The water temperature is definitely wrong. It was only 42F this morning. The online gauge was reading over 50.

daniel