PDA

View Full Version : Cherokee, NC fishing question?

tnflyguy
01-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Me and a buddy may go fishing in Cherokee tomorrow. The only problem is that neither of us have fished that area and can't decide on what streams to fish. We plan on going up to fish on the reservation, and yes we will get the 7 dollar permit, but can't decide which streams to fish. I have read that the good fishing streams on the reservation are Raven fork,Soco creek, and the Oconaluftee. Does anyone have any experience on any of these streams or others? If so which one would be my best bet this time of year and what flies would be good to use. Wooly boogers, hares ear, copper john etc...? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

troutslayer3393
01-11-2009, 08:29 PM
If the water levels aren't too high I would fish the trophy section of the Ravenfork. But you have to buy a special permit to fish that section. If you do fish the trophy section, take streamers (Wooly buggers, Clousers, Zonkers) and nymphs (espesially BHPT's) in sizes 16 to 18. Take at least a couple of egg paterns also. Be careful if the water is up on the ravenfork. It is slippery and dangerous. There are alot of deep holes that you cant notice if the water is muddy. If you fish the other streams in the reservation area, fish the bridges with the same patterns. Also If you want to catch a trophy trout without having to pay extra, fish the ravenfork as close as the trophy section as possible. Alot of the big fish have been washed down with the recent rain and flooding.

Tarheelflyfishing
01-11-2009, 08:53 PM
the 'Luftee is always on fire...BIG browns in the Oconoluftee. We fished the river in the boundary, and it was great. Use Wooly Buggers, Zonkers, Clousers, and big stonefly nymphs, and dredge them on the bottom works out great...

mayday
01-15-2009, 12:21 AM
Beech Flats is fun. That parallels HWY 441 above Kephart Prong. I have caught all three types of trout within a mile. BHPT nymph

elkhaircaddis
01-15-2009, 12:02 PM
We shocked a tiger trout (brook brown hybrid) in beech flats when I worked for the park. Straight fork also fishes well, just inside the park boundary

mayday
01-16-2009, 12:11 AM
hey Russ! Cold enough for you? I am going to the AT tomorrow for the night... I HAVE to get in on these cold nights!
Jeff