PDA

View Full Version : Loch Leven Salmonfly

Tarheelflyfishing
01-11-2009, 08:41 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_S87Tpmh5eco/SWqQ1Rni86I/AAAAAAAAAIo/yHc_u4naehM/s1600-h/013.JPG

Tarheelflyfishing
01-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Huh, didn't show up....

Tarheelflyfishing
01-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Manage Attachments button isn't on the main post a reply page...How do you post a pic?:confused:

flyman
01-11-2009, 08:55 PM
I thought I had it fixed for you :biggrin: But I seem to be having some trouble as well.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/flyman1/fishing%20and%20misc%20flies/noimage1.gif

Maybe you should read this.:smile:
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8456

Tarheelflyfishing
01-11-2009, 09:07 PM
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq292/tarheelflyfishing/013.jpg

Here it is...finally...:redface: Sorry about the size, couldn't adjust it...

Kytroutbum
01-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Is that your tie? If it is, check out tying contest listed on this board.

Randall Sale
Kytroutbum

Tarheelflyfishing
01-12-2009, 12:04 AM
Yup, just finished it yesterday....I'll look into the contest...

Plunker
01-14-2009, 10:26 AM
What hook did you tie that on? Looks like one of those gazillion dollar ones:eek:.
Nice Work

Tarheelflyfishing
01-14-2009, 03:54 PM
What hook did you tie that on? Looks like one of those gazillion dollar ones:eek:.
Nice Work

To be honest with you Plunk, I used...you ready....you sure?...I used a curved Tiemco TMC200R hook...what you would use for a Stimulator...I know...but I was in desperate need of traditional salmonfly hooks....:redface:

Plunker
01-14-2009, 05:20 PM
You are so far beyond my aptitude and ability, you could have said it was an original Partridge of Redditch and I would have believed you:redface:

Curiously; the reason I asked was, that I was looking for a cheap hook to practice on... I am not a great tyer, but have been reading the FAOL Atlantic Tying articles (Lucas I think) and would really like to get into some o that. I think the cabin fever, and artistic drive is getting the better of me.:cool:

Hard to tell what size that is really, except in relation to the vise jaws. For that matter it's hard to tell what size most of the fully dressed atlantics are that you see in photos on the web, especially when you are like me and are not familiar with hook names, feather species, and the like. I can however tell the difference between Dry hackle and Wet hackle...the dry hasn't been in the water yet:biggrin:

Tarheelflyfishing
01-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Atlantic Salmonfly tying is hard stuff...every little detail has to be close to perfect, or the whole fly will look odd...It's a good idea to start tying these flies on cheaper, non salmonfly hooks, and work your way up. Ronn Lucas Sr. is amazing...New fly tiers can learn A LOT from this gentleman.
Check out this site...http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/basic.html....Some of these flies can take days to complete...:eek:

Plunker
01-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Trust me! I hold no delusions about my ability (read IN-ability) to reach this level, but it's worth a shot:cool:.

Check out this CHEESE...
http://www.radencichsalmonflies.com/pages/catalog.html

Tarheelflyfishing
01-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Go for it Plunker...post some pics if you decide to tie a few...Checked out that site...$300-$700 for a single fly...:eek: If you start some serious Atlantic Salmon fly tying and sell them, you'll be in one of those multi million dollar log homes in Montana in no time...

kytroutman
01-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Unfortunately, the salmon flies on the website are considered "art" and not really used in fishing. That's why they use feathers such as blue jay, chatterlings, etc. since they are hard to locate. Saw "studios" in Ireland where a framed fly such as these would go for $700-$1,100 each.

Plunker
01-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Hmmm $.75 Adams or a $900 Willy Ghillie GooglyMoogly... bet I could hang either in a tree with equal effort:cool:

Gotta admit though...if I could afford them, the walls of my office/study would be looking sssweeeeeetttt:rolleyes:

I have an Art background...so what better way to combine some hobbies?

Tarheelflyfishing
01-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Unfortunately, the salmon flies on the website are considered "art" and not really used in fishing. That's why they use feathers such as blue jay, chatterlings, etc. since they are hard to locate. Saw "studios" in Ireland where a framed fly such as these would go for $700-$1,100 each.

The materials to create these masterpieces are OUTRAGEOUS and also some hard to find...

Tarheelflyfishing
01-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Hmmm $.75 Adams or a $900 Willy Ghillie GooglyMoogly... bet I could hang either in a tree with equal effort:cool:

Gotta admit though...if I could afford them, the walls of my office/study would be looking sssweeeeeetttt:rolleyes:

I have an Art background...so what better way to combine some hobbies?

Yeah, really....choices, choices, choices......

kytroutman
01-14-2009, 09:19 PM
The materials to create these masterpieces are OUTRAGEOUS and also some hard to find... In some cases, the feathers come from protected species of birds (i.e. jungle cock) so merely having them in your possession is a crime in some countries.

Tarheelflyfishing
01-14-2009, 09:27 PM
In some cases, the feathers come from protected species of birds (i.e. jungle cock) so merely having them in your possession is a crime in some countries.

Another downside of atlantic salmonfly tying....Also, grade A capes can run in the order of 130-150 smackaroos....Most JC feathers can be imported from European countries, but does no good in the US...you'll be arrested...

kytroutman
01-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Tyler, if you're really into the salmon flies, try to locate a book by Mikael Frodin. It's out of print now but he wrote about the old school Atlantic and salmon flies.

Tarheelflyfishing
01-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Tyler, if you're really into the salmon flies, try to locate a book by Mikael Frodin. It's out of print now but he wrote about the old school Atlantic and salmon flies.

I'll look for it next time I'm in a bookstore...

Plunker
01-14-2009, 10:59 PM
How good this Michael Radencich's Books are?
"Tying The Classic Salmon Fly"
"Classic Salmon Fly Materials"

Have you seen them KyT or Tyler? They are about as expensive as his flies, but if he writes as well as he ties...who knows, could be a winner?

I'm usually weird about buying any type of book...I need to feel it, smell it, and flip thru it before laying out the bucks for it.

Tarheelflyfishing
01-14-2009, 11:03 PM

Have you seen them KyT or Tyler? They are about as expensive as his flies, but if he writes as well as he ties...who knows, could be a winner?

I'm usually weird about buying any type of book...I need to feel it, smell it, and flip thru it before laying out the bucks for it.

Yeah, I like to sit down and look over the book before I buy it...precautionary measure...making sure I'm getting what I pay for...

kytroutman
01-15-2009, 10:19 AM

Good books but for me, not really worth the price. I tie very few salmon flies because of the complexity and the need for the dressing, etc. Also, as Tyler stated, the materials cost is outrageous when you are purchasing ten feathers for $75 or a kingfisher cape for $150-200. As I stated, there are a number of feathers used in these flies that you legally are not supposed to have in your possession in the US because they come from protected species.

Tarheelflyfishing
01-15-2009, 03:03 PM
I've found that a ringneck pheasant skin has a lot of feathers that will work as substitutes for JC, blue bird, macaw..etc