PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for fixing up a jon boat

dogfish
01-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Over the break I was able sweettalk my old man into giving me his old lowe 14 foot jon boat and 9.8 mercury outboard circa 1917 and was planning on doin a little work to it. I took it out on the little red and caney over the break for a couple trips and had a good time with it but wanted to try to throw some oars on it. I have heard that carlisles are a great pair of oars that are very durable but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions? Also, I was wondering about what length they should be if the length between the pinholes on the inside of the gunnel is about 55 inches? Any advice on what type of oarlocks might work with this setup, I have been told NSR makes a good product? Lastly, i was thinking of hushing the boat up by maybe installing some sort of carpeted deck in the well, but have also heard of some type of liner which can be painted on (kind of like a rhino bed liner). If anyone has any advice on this project it would be greatly appreciated.

Tarheelflyfishing
01-12-2009, 08:54 PM
You could use caulk, which may work to plug up some of those pin holes...

dogfish
01-13-2009, 11:00 AM
by pin holes i meant the holes where the oar locks insert- my terminology might not be spot on

Troutman
01-13-2009, 01:22 PM
I knew what you meant by the pin holes. You might want to talk to Mike and some of the guys over on Trophy Tn forum that fish from jons and flat bottom boats alot. Not sure if they use oars but it could probably be useful to keep the boat straight for casting. just have to be careful about shallow areas if your floating with the transom facing downstream.

here is a site with some modifications.
http://www.bassjons.com/mycustompage0025.htm

Grumpy
01-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Carlisle makes a good oar, i like the Cataract blades better. With a 55" beam, you'll want 9' shafts, the blades are around 20" which will give you around 11'.
NRS will have everything you need.

Grumpy

TroutBum88
01-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Grumpy,

Heard you are the proud owner of that Clacka. Miss that boat a lot...

Grumpy
01-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Grumpy,

Heard you are the proud owner of that Clacka. Miss that boat a lot...

yea, i miss it a lot to & it's sitting in the backyard:frown: This is my 3rd Clacka, may try to hang onto it, you never know though.

Grumpy

dogfish
01-16-2009, 10:00 AM
thanks for the help- those jon boat mods are awfully tempting too- once spring comes and the greenback tree starts blooming I might think about doin a custom deck.

txbrown
01-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Dogfish,

I had by jon boat set up with carpeted 1/2 in deck in bottom and it worked very well. I finally decided to remove those floors and put casting decks framed with aluminum and 3/4 in deck. It actually did not add enough weight to make much of a difference in draft. Provides very nice dry storage also in front well. I use it regularly on the Caney. I am adding a 2nd seat on the back at the request of fishing buddies. Good luck with your decision.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5YGpEwlApQtczfF_H-Ylbw?feat=directlink