PDA

View Full Version : Anyone braving the cold late this week?

Tarheelflyfishing
01-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Are any of you guys braving the elements to be on the river this week? It will be BRUTAL come Thursday and Friday......The board has been deserted...I guess either people are working or are out on the river....

flyguys
01-13-2009, 06:39 PM
If you guys go out , BE CAREFUL! We had an accident on Kentucky lake this weekend. Four teenagers went duck hunting in a 16 foot jon boat. Three foot swells, boat capsized, one boy was rescued, they found another this morning 5oo yards from shore. The other two are still unaccounted for, as well as the dog that was with them. When going out in these conditions, it doesn't take long for a good time to turn into a tragic event. Have fun, but BE CAREFUL!!! flyguys

Tarheelflyfishing
01-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Hypothermia is a a dance you don't want to dance...If anyone heads out late this week, or on any cold day, make sure you carry matches with you so as you can start a fire to stay warm if you're in a remote area. Always bring a change of clothes with you, and invest in a Simms Dry Creek bag to keep your extra clothes warm and dry. Overall USE EXTREME CAUTION!!! Trust me we don't do as well as a trout under water in sub freezing temperatures!!

jmelrod
01-13-2009, 08:15 PM
I hope to fish this weekend on Tellico River + tributaries. Possibly into Monday! I am bringing my shotgun and will get after some grouse if the fish are too slow. Either way, it will be cold and I will be having a blast.

Tarheelflyfishing
01-13-2009, 08:27 PM
There ya go Jmelrod...Go fishing...if that doesn't work out, go grouse hunting...Do you use the feathers to make flies? Grouse is GREAT soft hackle material....

David Knapp
01-13-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm planning on being at LRO this Sunday for the tying demo with Hugh Hartsell and will probably try and wet a line somewhere as well... If they would quit generating on the Caney I'd be there in a heartbeat...especially on Thursday or Friday. Cold weather keeps everyone else off the river...:biggrin:

Tarheelflyfishing
01-13-2009, 09:14 PM
I hear ya man, It seems as if TVA will never terminate their generation schedule on the Caney. With all of this rain we've recieved I guess it's mandatory to prevent flooding. I doubt I will make it to see Hugh, I'll meet him in May. Speaking of May are you attending Troutfest?

jmelrod
01-13-2009, 10:14 PM
I've not used grouse as a tying material yet. I have heard they are nice to work with. I just hope to do more fishing than hunting. It feels like forever since I have been.

I got a new rod for Christmas and have only used it once. TFO 1wt finesse, with an Islander IR1 reel. My first trip out with it, caught two rainbows that were decent to above average for the tiny creek I fished in the park.

Tarheelflyfishing
01-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Yup, grouse feathers can be used as soft hackle for A LOT of various wet flies...TFO makes some fine rods...If you do get out on the Tellico, tell me how you did.

jmelrod
01-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Will do. I may talk myself into going to Citico Creek one day this weekend as well. There are some great holes and feisty fish. As a side note, have you fished any of the feeder streams of Citico or Tellico? In particular, Sycamore Creek above the hatchery.

Tarheelflyfishing
01-13-2009, 10:28 PM
I haven't...need to fish the Citico, I've heard of decent fishing in the river.

jmelrod
01-13-2009, 10:29 PM
p.s.

I checked out your website. My wife and I were out in the Tetons and Yellowstone at the end of May 2008. Beautiful country.

Tarheelflyfishing
01-13-2009, 10:34 PM
You've got that right. Yellowstone was awesome...The flight into Jackson Hole with the Tetons just to the right as we landed was....:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jmelrod
01-13-2009, 10:37 PM
I think GTNP was my favorite. Now I'm looking into Alaska for about a 10-14 day trip.

Tarheelflyfishing
01-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Alaska...what a trip...a fly fisherman's dream. Hope you get to go to AK soon, fishing is EXTRAORDINARY!!

jmelrod
01-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Me too! I don't know about this summer. At the latest, Summer 2010.

Tarheelflyfishing
01-13-2009, 11:22 PM
What areas are you thinking about visiting in AK.....

David Knapp
01-13-2009, 11:58 PM
I hear ya man, It seems as if TVA will never terminate their generation schedule on the Caney. With all of this rain we've recieved I guess it's mandatory to prevent flooding. I doubt I will make it to see Hugh, I'll meet him in May. Speaking of May are you attending Troutfest?

Not sure if I'll make it or not...hope to but we'll see how work lines up around that time...

feather&fly
01-14-2009, 11:31 PM
I was on the Tellico yesterday for a few hours. I fished in the middle of the day and it was not to bad. Now for this weekend I don't believe I'll be on the water. I might try to call some coyotes and foxes though.

Tarheelflyfishing
01-14-2009, 11:39 PM
I was on the Tellico yesterday for a few hours. I fished in the middle of the day and it was not to bad. Now for this weekend I don't believe I'll be on the water. I might try to call some coyotes and foxes though.

There's not going to be a whole lot of good fishing Friday and Saturday up in the high country. BRUTAL cold spilling into the southeast...:eek:

Memphis_Hiker
01-15-2009, 11:00 AM
I'll be making the trek from Memphis to Townsend tomorrow morning for my annual East Tennessee trip. Too bad the fishing will probably stink. BUT, a bad day fishing beats anyday at work!

Tarheelflyfishing
01-15-2009, 02:28 PM
I'll be making the trek from Memphis to Townsend tomorrow morning for my annual East Tennessee trip. Too bad the fishing will probably stink. BUT, a bad day fishing beats anyday at work!

From the Mississippi River to the Little River...hope you can find some decent fishing...Sunday may be your best bet weather wise...

Memphis_Hiker
01-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Sunday is what I'm betting on too. We'll see what happens.

Tarheelflyfishing
01-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Sunday will be upper 30's in Townsend, so it's the best day out of the week for a little fishing...LAYER UP MAN....it's still cold...

kytroutman
01-15-2009, 07:50 PM
I took a baptism last January while fishing in western NC. Although I had a change of clothes, it still took the rest of the day to warm back up. Thankfully a day of nearly 20 fish, including an 9" brookie made it worthwhile.