PDA

View Full Version : I had a laugh at this.

Worrgamesguy
01-14-2009, 12:11 AM
I dunno if this is the appropriate section, but some guy on the paintball forum I'm on tried to convince me that catching a bass is more challenging and give harder fight than a trout. It was all I could do to stop from laughing out loud, I've got respect for bass but that is just ludicrous. Guys like these make my life interesting :biggrin:

wynnsman
01-14-2009, 12:53 AM
My question to you would be, whats the biggest bass you've ever caught?
I have caught a 7pound smallie and a 6 pound largemouth and both where very fun to catch. The 7 pound smallie more so than the lrg. I would tend to agree that lake fishing for bass is very technical and very hard to do. There are very few people in this area that can go out on a consistant basis and catch a 5 fish limit weighing over 15-20 pounds. But dont get me wrong I fly fish because the same reasons you do im sure. But I am best friends with a bass tournament director and see the inside of how challenging of a sport it is. I gave up tournament bass fishing a couple years ago to fly fish but I have alot of respect for those bass guys that invest ALOT of money and time in a very large sport. And we do share one good thing in common with those bass guys,,,,,they all take very good care of thier catch and care about the fishery they fish.

Worrgamesguy
01-14-2009, 10:57 AM
I've caught multiple stripe, largemouth, and smallmouth. My biggest would be about a 15 pound stripe, and I catch 5-7 pound larges frequently. But I don't think it involves as much skill to entice a bass than it does a trout.

Ky Tim
01-14-2009, 11:35 AM
I've caught multiple stripe, largemouth, and smallmouth. My biggest would be about a 15 pound stripe, and I catch 5-7 pound larges frequently. But I don't think it involves as much skill to entice a bass than it does a trout.

I would disagree, I think it takes a different set of skills to entice a bass to bite, but it is still difficult. I would still rather trout fish, but living where I am I end spending a lot of time warm water fly fishing.

David Knapp
01-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Give me a 5 pound rainbow any day for a good fight...

Green Weenie
01-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Hi. My name is Chad (Hi, Chad.) and I'm a reformed baitcasting bass fisherman.

I oft' wonder what a trout would think of a 3/4 oz. buzzbait?

Also, I think I'd land a lot more trout if I could get by with using 12lb. test :biggrin:!

ChemEAngler
01-14-2009, 02:43 PM
I think each species has their pros and cons. When the bass are active and feeding on top it can be very easy. Plus this is the most exciting form of bass fishing to me. If they are feeding deep or are suspended, then it can get very technical.

I too used to spend 2 or 3 days a week on the lake doing the tournament thing. And it was at this time that I realize I no longer went fishing because I enjoyed it, but to win money and brag. To me, it just isn't any fun using a 6.5' heavy action baitcaster loaded up with 12# test. The challenge of finding out what they are eating and the fight is what makes fishing enjoyable to me. I do enjoy fly fishing for bass, however.

On a pound for pound basis, I do think that trout are more exciting than largemouth bass. Substitute that LM for a smallie, and you have a whole different situation.....Probably if I caught some of the smallies that Mr. Troutman catches, I would have to give the nod to the bass.

Just my $0.02

flyguys
01-14-2009, 03:45 PM
I've been bass fishing for the majprity of my life, trout fishing for about 3 years. It seems to me that the bass can be compared to a gluton when it comes to eating. Some days, just about anything you throw at them will get them to hit. KInd of like a kid attacking a cheeseburger. Trout, to me, are more like the finicky eater. It seems that they wait and wait and wait until the right looking beef tenderloin, medium rare, comes floating by, And then and only then will they decide to eat! I've had days when skunked by both, but in my book the trout is more elusive of the two.

Plunker
01-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Hi. My name is Chad (Hi, Chad.) and I'm a reformed baitcasting bass fisherman.

I oft' wonder what a trout would think of a 3/4 oz. buzzbait?

Also, I think I'd land a lot more trout if I could get by with using 12lb. test :biggrin:!

My name is Charlie (Hi, Charlie.) I too am a reformed Baitcaster...it occurs to me that I had CRANKBAITS bigger than some of the trout I've caught...heck I was half way into a forward cast with my first Brookie before I even realized he was aboard...poor little Guy took the "E" ticket ride on the preceeding backcast:redface:

Nevertheless; I wouldn't trade one of the trout for a whole case of DT20 Rapalas!

flyred06
01-14-2009, 05:41 PM
I have to agree with plunker. I am a recovering Tournament Bass Fisher and the first time I went trout fishing in the smokies I spent several hundred dollars to catch a fish that would be bait where I came from. That being said I have continued on in my pursuit for the illustrious trout. I have found them to be quite a bit harder to catch and with the proper rods just as fun. I would give up by bass water anyday for a place on a beuatiful trout stream. I will take trout over bass any day of the week. Now redfish is a whole new ball game.

Plunker
01-14-2009, 05:49 PM
I have to agree with plunker. I am a recovering Tournament Bass Fisher and the first time I went trout fishing in the smokies I spent several hundred dollars to catch a fish that would be bait where I came from. That being said I have continued on in my pursuit for the illustrious trout. I have found them to be quite a bit harder to catch and with the proper rods just as fun. I would give up by bass water anyday for a place on a beuatiful trout stream. I will take trout over bass any day of the week. Now redfish is a whole new ball game.

and you know...my waders are a lot cheaper than a 21' Ranger too! and they don't use near as much gas :p

Better not get started on the whole Redfish thing...3 lb. Red vs 8 lb. Bass:cool: My money is on Red

Worrgamesguy
01-14-2009, 05:53 PM
I've been bass fishing for the majprity of my life, trout fishing for about 3 years. It seems to me that the bass can be compared to a gluton when it comes to eating. Some days, just about anything you throw at them will get them to hit. KInd of like a kid attacking a cheeseburger. Trout, to me, are more like the finicky eater. It seems that they wait and wait and wait until the right looking beef tenderloin, medium rare, comes floating by, And then and only then will they decide to eat! I've had days when skunked by both, but in my book the trout is more elusive of the two.

My thoughts exactly. I've baitfished trout for 15 years and caught a lot of fish, but it got too easy. I would only fish at the lake when I couldn't get out to a trout stream. Stripers go nuts after rooster tails, I caught my biggest striper on a white and silver rooster tail.

ChemEAngler
01-14-2009, 06:23 PM
and you know...my waders are a lot cheaper than a 21' Ranger too! and they don't use near as much gas :p

Amen to that.

Better not get started on the whole Redfish thing...3 lb. Red vs 8 lb. Bass:cool: My money is on Red

I hope to find out what redfish are all about this April. I hear good things.

Plunker
01-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Amen to that.

I hope to find out what redfish are all about this April. I hear good things.
HOGS my Man, HOGS with attitude!

Worrgamesguy
01-14-2009, 07:48 PM
I have no care to go after reds, saltwater scares the stuff outta me. But I would take a fiesty 8" brookie or brown over a 5+ pound largemouth any day. The only bass that has ever taken drag out on me was the biggest striper I've caught, but multiple trout have taken drag out on me. They're just absolutely crazy.

Skipjack
01-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Well guys I have read all your posts and I feel that I am in good company. I too use to tournament fish with the bait casting reels and 7' heavy to medium heavy casting rods. I lost interest in this type of fishing about 3 years ago when I read an article a guy had written who lived on a pressure fished lake in California. He was writing about using extremely light tackle to catch hugh bream, spots and largemouth. That article change my way of fishing forever. I started using micro light rods 7 ½’ long with small spinning reels spooled with 2 to 4 lb. test line using tiny grubs, rooster tails, and even live leeches about 1/2" long---this method of fishing has enabled me to catch 3 times the fish I use to catch with the heavy equipment. Landing a large 1 lb. bream or a 4 lb. spot or even a 4 to 5 lb. largemouth takes a lot of skill especially using this type of equipment. It has become a challenge now to land the fish that I use to jerk out of the water with heavy tackle. The micro learning experience has lead me to trout fishing a couple of years ago and I am hooked forever---why because I had developed a love for landing the fish with light tackle before I tried to land the weary trout. I have found that the fight the trout puts up is just as exciting as landing a large beam or spot on light tackle. I think that one of the most appealing things about trout fishing is the challenge of getting the fish to take your fly and once hooked seeing the fish go airborne. I am still in the learning stages and will never learn all there is to learn about trout fishing but that is what makes the sport so appealing to me. There is nothing like being on a beautiful stream on a warm summer day or an early spring day trying to land the trout of a lifetime. I can’t wait to get back on the water as soon as the weather gets right.

Worrgamesguy
01-15-2009, 01:14 AM
I haven't hooked into any large trout (that I know of) with a fly rod. I hope I will, but I'd be perfectly happy catching the fish that I do. My biggest trout was ironically my first trout (on the fly). I was fishing with an elk hair caddis on the Caney when a 14" brown SLAMMED it and went airborne. It was a tough fight and I thought I was going to lose him but he was hooked behind that flap in his jaw, it wasn't going anywhere.

Grumpy
01-15-2009, 08:38 AM
I to used to chase the bucket mouth's, still do occasionally on the fly rod.
Ounce for ounce, i find it hard to beat a bluegill;)

Grumpy

Green Weenie
01-15-2009, 08:47 AM
My name is Charlie (Hi, Charlie.) I too am a reformed Baitcaster...it occurs to me that I had CRANKBAITS bigger than some of the trout I've caught...heck I was half way into a forward cast with my first Brookie before I even realized he was aboard...poor little Guy took the "E" ticket ride on the preceeding backcast:redface:

Nevertheless; I wouldn't trade one of the trout for a whole case of DT20 Rapalas!

I don't have to tell you how hard it was sending my dad pictures of my first trout...as it lay in the palm of my hand.
His comment, "Didn't know you used live bait for trout."
:biggrin:

Waterborn
01-15-2009, 11:49 AM
I grew up fishing bass and panfish from one side of the family, trout, salmon, steelhead from the other side - not with fly (wish I knew then what I know know)...but anyone who knows me knows I'll fish for anything by any method, I just prefer the fly rod. I thinks they all have something to offer, and more so with a fly rod. I kinda gave up texas rigged bucket mouths after the ten pounder on the wall (back when I mounted fish) My first love is trout, and specs being the the top because the environment and you've got to love a brookies enthusiasm and ease to a fly...
But I tell ya, If you really want a pursuit and a tough battle - though not glamourous -check out a poor mans bone - carp on a fly will give you all you can handle both in angling skill and fight...had one last year straighten out a 1/0 saltwater hook on me...the brute had some shoulders for sure...but its a blast and something else to add to joy of our sport.

MTN_TRT
01-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Ounce for ounce, i find it hard to beat a bluegill;)

Grumpy

I totally agree.

flynut
01-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Picking between catching a bass or a trout on a fly is like picking between a hot redhead or hot blond...they're both hot...pick 'em both if you can...

As long as I have a fly rod in my hand and a fish on the other end of my line, I'm a happy man...

I would say that right now I prefer trout because they are slightly more accessible w/o a boat...but the few bass I've landed on a fly and the numerous bass I've caught throwing poppers and crankbaits remind me of how much fun those fish really are...

Bass and trout can both be hard or easy to catch depending on many factors...but I have to give the edge to the jumpers...Feisty smallmouth and acrobatic rainbows can be quite a challenge to bring to the net.

But what it all really comes down to is simply being out on the water. If we didn't enjoy being outdoors, none of us would be fishermen...If there's water, let's fish it...If there's fish, let's catch 'em!

(All that being said, I'll take the hot brunette as well...)

Tarheelflyfishing
01-15-2009, 03:40 PM
If the weather's too warm for trout, I just grab the 7wt and go after some smallies...

3wt
01-15-2009, 05:49 PM
I think that it just seems like bass don't fight as well as trout because of the type of tackle that people use for them. If you use lighter line and smaller rods I think they fight about just as hard but trout jump a lot more.

Troutman
01-15-2009, 05:52 PM
I agree with Flynut and Waterborn. Its all good. As long as I can use a fly rod, doesn't matter what the species is to me.

Tarheelflyfishing
01-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Also, fishing for trout in a river involves moving water, so the fish usually feels bigger, only because your fighting against the current. Even a twig or a leave can feel like a 5 pound brown....well, not exactly...:biggrin:

flyred06
01-16-2009, 10:49 AM
The river and current is definately a plus on the trout but then add in those small mouths below abrams falls and you got a whole nother discussion going on. I wish I could fish there everyday. The wonderful place where two worlds collide, trout and smallies on the fly.:biggrin:

Wade Blevins
01-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Ive spent over 30 years fly fishing and had amid life crisis where I turned to tournament fishing before the "Big" payouts when $2000.00 was a huge winning amount. Personally...and I do mean this in a non threatening way. Bass (largemouth and smallmouth) are far more predictable than trout. Trout will refuse a fly 20 times more than a bass. I have kept years of journals for both.

The problem with todays bass fisherman IMHO is they are runnin' and gunnin' in a time crunch trying to use the same old tatics they use on home waters to catch a limt of fish. Granted pros will spend a great deal of time mapping and marking but many still spend very little time on specific spots if the fish are there but not biting. The key is to find a trigger with bass and much like trout, presentation is key. I quit fishing tournaments simply due to the nature of most of the wildcat and local tourneys. Many were there for the money. The treatment of the fish was horrible. Many fish were belly up at the docks or just dumped out of plastic bags. No attempts to see that fish were alive and well. Just dumped back into the river.

When you spend time on a body of water you will see the daily changes. You truly become in tune with what is going on on the river, lake, pond, etc...
It's easy for me to go and catch a big stringer of bass daily. I am dissappointed when the day holds less than 50 fish. And when fishing for smallies or largemouth, if you don't have a fish over 4lbs for the day you haven't spent enough time on that body of water.

Trout- an entirely different story depending on the river. You could spend an entire day over one fish and have refusal after refusal only to loose the chance at the one take that simply did not eat or came free.

Just my 2 borrowed cents. It's to hard to compare sunfish to trout. I spend a great deal of time fishing for large small mouth in small streams.
It's become a passion.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t316/wademade1/photo2.jpg

flyred06
01-26-2009, 01:43 PM
beautiful fish and that is what I was saying about abrams falls. I would take stream small mouth over any fish at all. Except red fish.:rolleyes:

jeffnles1
01-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Bass, trout, bluegill, crappie, carp, they're all fish and I'll do my best to catch any of them. There are days (rare days) that catching is easy. Then there are days when catching seems to be impossible. That's why we keep coming back.

I don't see any as easier or better, they're just different.

Jeff

flyred06
01-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Also I would like to complement the good quality of the photo itself. You caught the colors of the fish wee with out it looking bleached out from the flash. Great job.